Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Are we feeling okay today?

2. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

The future looks bright for Geno and the door is opening for him, And for MS the door is closing behind him. MS will hold a clip board this year and make millions. Then ride off into the sunset. BUT by no means is MS done. Trust me on that one.

3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Agree with the pass protection, no way he can take any more 20 yard sacks, gotta throw it away

4. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Some of you guys act like this is your first year watching the NFL. Anyone who has watched the NFL for even a few years knows that it takes at least a year or more before you know what quality of QB you have.

5. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Your right, hopefully this year we will find out if wilson, luck or even RG3 will ever be serviceable QB's.

LoL

( sarcasm rant over )

6. GangGreenFan1984

GangGreenFan1984 New Member

Agree - he worked his ass off and wont he game for us for sure. I'm impressed and excited to see how his play continues..

GangGreen!!! wooohoo!!!

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you really cannot tell too much from the first year - look at Cam Newton, 1st year he was amazing, last year he was anything but, and so far this years its looking a lot more like year 2 than his rookie year - once teams have a chance to get a proper look at you, its that second year that you get a feel for what you have.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Cam Newton was one of the best QBs the 2nd half of last season. I believe he has had the 2 first best statistical seasons ever by a QB... He is the real deal. Plus, who the hell is on offense with him? An old Steve Smith? Thats pretty much it.

9. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Greg Olsen isn't too bad.

10. fish_squisher

fish_squisher Member

I thought Geno got smarter as the game went on. Pulled it down a few times when I thought he was going to throw into trouble. I think he is going to be tougher to play against every week.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Remember, the key for a good performance with Geno is limiting his turnovers and playing the game carefully...He did that in the second half.

12. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

What? I heard that Geno is Cam's mother's favorite player though ;)

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its not about vlad. the entire line was AWFUL. and no, it wasnt "up and down" it was dont right pathetic for 60 minutes.

actually blocking guys for 2 or 3 snaps while looking like turd the rest isnt up and down. tampa was in our backfield the entire game. and usually, mutiple defenders

14. jerseyjay14

geno did not play great... but it highlighted all the things sanchez does to turn a winnable game like this into a loss.

again, geno didnt win it for us, but he didnt lose it for us like mark would have, and allowed his team to get the W.

Completing 60+ % of his passes, converting 3rd downs with his legs. completing screen passes. not turning it over 4 times. these kinds of things cant be overlooked. when you are going 3 and out, putting your team in 3rd and long all the time, and turning it over, you arent going to win.

15. jerseyjay14

13 hurries, 5 sacks, and in the backfield all game long.

sorry, but that isnt "a great job in pass protection". geno was outstanding. sanchez or mecelroy get sacked 8 or 9 times easy

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

some of those hurries were after he had plenty of time to throw. He was rushed here and there, he also had numerous chances just sitting back in the pocket waiting for receivers to get open. Our Ol did a very good job in pass protection.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

There were moments when Geno had time in the pocket. But for the most part Geno was hurried.

18. jerseyjay14

just flat out wrong.

he was under extreme pressure the entire game. sometimes i think you dont even watch. it was the most pressure we've had since the mcelroy massacre. it would be shocking for us to do worse all year.

our offensive line is an enormous problem. they cant run or pass block as a unit. they need to come together real soon and someone needs to step up. tampa was in our backfield like the knew the plays and the snap count.

it was pathetic, by far our biggest issue yestarday from any unit. nothing short of a miracle we didint give up more sacks/have more fumbles

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you may want to take up a new hobby, you just don't understand what you are watching- IF you are watching at all.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I was probably overdoing it with the "anything but" comment, but it is (IMHO) true to say that he regressed to some degree in his second year and that final series of games (against pretty suspect opponents) did a lot to hide that

personally I am a fan of Cam Newton and hope he does well but all I am saying really is that after his rookie season people were ready to annoint him as this complete phenomenon that was going to revolutionise the QB position, after his second season there were a lot more questions (though in part that was due to newer and shinier things like Luck and RG3 and Wilson coming along) - you cannot point to a great rookie and season and know that you have found your franchise QB is the point that I was responding to.

edit: also, being honest, I was caught up in the media perception of Cam's sophmore slump rather than looking at the numbers, as the reality was, as you say, not entirely supportive of that view.