Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I was not a fan of drafting Geno and I did not expect him to play so well.

But I am very impressed and encouraged by his play today. One of the best games I have ever seen a rookie QB play.

He was under pressure all day and had no running game but showed great poise, calmness and decision making under pressure. He was just so calm under pressure not forcing balls and taking his time. I am amazed that a rookie QB could do this.

What I really liked was his decisiveness and getting rid of the ball fast. This IMO is the most important quality in a QB. It is so rare to see this in a rookie QB.

His footwork was also very good. No happy feet. No panicking except for a couple of plays.

He only had 3-4 bad plays all game and they all pretty much came one after the other in the 2nd quarter. But rather than sulk or give it up he calmed himself down and came back. I loved his competitiveness and ability to fight back. I think the ability to come back from adversity he showed today was impressive.

His 3-4 bad plays were costly. The fumble was a terrible play on his part. In that part of the field he needs to tuck the ball away no question. The INT was also a terrible play. He did the right thing on other plays killing the ball or throwing it away. I am guessing he was still upset about the fumble and was trying to do to much on the INT.

I love the number of times he has extended plays with his feet.

He also showed a lot of poise except for those few bad plays. He was not rushing or forcing the ball.

I liked that when the game was on the line he led us to two 4th quarter scores to take the lead.

I would not say Geno was the reason we won. He was not asked to do a lot but he did what he was asked and he played under terrible conditions with no run game and no pass protection.

Overall I thought his positives were:

1. Decisiveness getting rid of the ball
    2. Poise
    3. Not forcing balls
    4. Extending plays with his feet
    5. rebounding after that bad string of plays
    6. Stepping up when the game was on the line.

I will not go and anoint Geno as the QB of the future. But today's game was very promising and encouraging. The calmness he showed under pressure and his decision making under very difficult situations was amazing. My guess is we will have a lot more moments like the 2nd quarter this year especially if we cannot run the ball but the kid has some real promise. I hope they can treat the kid like they did Sanchez in 2009-2010 and not have to ask him to do to much. It is so exciting to think we may have a QB of the future with such poise under pressure.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Aside from the Dline, Geno was definitely the reason why we won. He had no help from the run game or OL. Pressure in his face on fifty percent of the plays. He definitely showed a lot of positives and the win was great.

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Agreed. He was our player of the game and arguably the best player on the field outside of Vincent Jackson. Someone do research on how Sanchez has played when he got 50 yards of run support. It's probably beyond gruesome.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said you guys. a monster win.

5. HarveyTheJetFan

HarveyTheJetFan New Member

Pretty good game

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. You saw the talent that was there that was probably why the Jets drafted him. He definitely has much to work on, but I think this was slightly better than everyone expected, especially after the preseason

7. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

He was really, really good, especially in the second half. Made a ton of good throws under pressure and his accuracy kept improving as the game went on. Kept the offense moving despite the nonexistent running game and the offensive line's struggles to contain the blitz. Also made the decision to put it on the ground and run at the perfect, clutch times.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Started off a bit slow but was clicking pretty well after the fumble.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Anyone able to post his stats and maybe some gifs?

10. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Member

let's not get crazy, he played okay. not great, not terrible but gave us a chance to win and had some good moments. For a 1st game, I'll take it

11. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I'm shocked how well he played.. I thought he was going to be a disaster today. He kept us in the game. Did more than anyone could have expected. I think we should get rid of the wildcat. Its pointless and all it did was break the rhythm he was establishing. I'm pleasantly surprised by this performance. Well see what happens from here.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Vis-a-vis Geno, my operating words are "hope" and "encouraged".

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

24/38, 256 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble, 5 sacks, 80.6 rating (not the ESPN one)
    6 rushes for 47 yards, and at least 2 3rd down conversion on these runs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gifs from deadspin.com

14. Wvujetsfan

Wvujetsfan New Member

After watching geno all through college, I was glad to see that he dug in and didn't fall apart. The sack/fumble is still a problem which is worrisome, but he took what was given to him and stayed composed. That's been a question mark for him at times. If he gets it between the ears, he will make the jets better. Sometimes that's being smart enough to know your limitations.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

This comment is not a knock on Sanchez...but I don't think Sanchez would have survived todays game with the way the Buc's were constantly breaking through the line. Several times it was like a freaking Chinese Firedrill in the Jets Backfield there were so many Buccaneers back there.

There were definitely aspects that Geno needs to improve on, but his mobility allowed him to thrive in the 2nd half.

16. Gunther

Gunther Member

There was a throw he made to the other TE. I can't remember his name, but what was so obvious was his touch on the throw right into the guys hands. I have never seen that in Sanchez and that in itself is a big big improvement. Geno looks more cerebral than physical.

17. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

He was solid, not spectacular. That's all he needed to be. Big test at NE next week, but for today, savor the moment.

With some run game & blocking on the O-Line, we'd have seen a lot more from him.

Biggest thing: he didn't make panic throws. Threw the ball away, made smart plays not silly turnovers, took a punt instead of a bad INT. Good job by him.

18. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Winslow,Reuland?

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

the more I watch the Gif of the late hit the more I have to name the Refs the Games MVP.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It was nice watching a game and not expecting the QB to do something completely retarded. After the 1st quarter he seemed to settle in very well. Anyone have his stat line after 1Q?