"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

that depends... do you want to be logical and rational or irrational and illogical?

If you want to throw away the largest sample we have against the highest level of competition he has played in (yes, playing the top SEC teams in games that count is certainly more competitive then preseason week 4 against guys soon to be out of the league). then thats pretty illogical

also, can we stop with the "preseason success" it was ONE game where he threw ZERO touchdowns. thats not exactly the pinacle of NFL quarterback play. especially against coaches who dont care about winning and care more about putting guys in certain situations to evaluate them 1 last time before cutting them.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

what a horrible horrible horrible comparison.

Matt Simms senior year at Tennesee:

43% comp 300 yards 0 TD 3 Int

Tom Brady senior year at Michigan:

63% comp. 2300 Yards 17 TD 6 int

Brady also went on to lead Michigan to an overtime win over Alabama in orange bowl that year throwing for 370 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Brady was a really good college QB, who was outstanding in big games. Matt simms was an absolute scrub in college, who got benched because he couldnt compete in the SEC. I dont see how brady as a SOPHMORE not being out Griese as a SENIOR when griese was an all-american isnt really a knock. griese wasnt a great pro, but he was a really good college player.

it is simply idiotic to try and compare matt simms college career to bradys. brady was an extremely productive college QB who was excellent in bowl games. simms was a scrub carrying a clip board once his dads reputaiton couldnt get him starts anymore

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, you aren't supposed to discount it. but it can't be the sole factor you consider since his sample size of success is so small. and when you consider the total picture of both Simms and Smith there is no doubt Smith is the right call to start week 1.

Simms earned a back up role, and the opportunity to step in if the guys ahead of him falter. but to put so much weight on a small amount of pre-season success against players that won't be starting just isn't sound.

4. JetBlue

or the more accurate Henson had the cannon arm that his coach obviously loved, and no amount of performance by Brady was going to overcome the allure of that ability. hell, even NFL teams waste money on the prospect of that cannon arm, unless you have forgotten about guys like Jeff George, Jamarcus Russell, oh and Hensen as well who floated around the NFL a bit too.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I watched the guy play. He looked like an nfl qb to me. More so than geno has so far. The nfl is basically filled with the best of the best college players. That's who he was playing against regardless of whether they made the team.

Discounting what I've seen with my own eyes this preseason because he didn't do well 3 or 4 years ago in a different league in a different system with different coaches and teammates doesn't seem logical and rational to me. It seems lazy to be honest. And it wasn't just one game.

If you watched Simms this preseason and saw some glaring flaws that make you believe he's not an nfl qb please share those thoughts. Pointing at some shit from years ago doesn't seem like a good argument to me.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think they could start Simms this week because he was never part of the competition for the starter job and never took snaps with the ones. I think he's made a case for the coaches to put him in that conversation at least.

7. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Great post.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You spank your own logic with that bolded statement right there. Just as not all good college players can make it in the Pros...it's not uncommon to find guys who were marginal to OK college players but, for whatever reason, their talents translated to the Pro game. Also, it could be that the coaching they get in the Pro game is better than the college program they attended. I know for a fact, after doing some research, that Tennessee's program was nothing short of a flat ass shit storm during Simms tenure there. Not an excuse, just a contributing factor. I'd be willing to bet if you put this preseason on and then flash to how he played in college you are looking at two entirely different players.

Who knows the reasons why...could it be the coaching? How about he got serious about his life and career and really utilized his year on the Practice Squad pine. Maybe the system just clicks in his brain. There could be a myriad of reasons as to why he appears to "get it" etc...make no mistake either. He gets it. Flush that crap ass argument about 3rd string and scrub ass players as well. They were good enough to be in an NFL camp so they're good enough to be in the discussion. And, as I've posted earlier...the defense he shredded for the Eagles, to a man, is on the 53 man roster right now...so they aren't horrible.

The WORST reason of all, that I have been reading in this thread, as to why he shouldn't be succeeding...or shouldn't be given a shot is because of his college career and stats. That might have counted last year but now that he has had a year in the Pro's that college career is basically flushed. It has no bearing on now and going forward. A player's college career is nothing more than a better than average barometer as to how they might be reasonably expected to perform in the Pro game. It most certainly is NOT written in stone nor iron clad.

I also keep hearing about his "daddy" being the reason he's on a team. Ummmm...bullshit I say. I cry FOUL!!!! I can and will admit that his "daddy" might have gotten him a try out. But he must have done something right in that tryout to get brought into camp last year. Daddy didn't throw the ball for him. He had to do that on his own and they do not just give the roster spot away...it's too valuable.

#568 mezzavo, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This year's 4th preseason game was the first time I have watched an entire 4th preseason game in at least a decade.

It's still on my DVR and I just got done watching all of the offensive snaps for the 5th time. Mostly to convince myself that I wasn't fooled by a game in which the QB I enjoyed so much watching the first time around wasn't just a product of playing against the 2's and 3's.

And I wasn't fooled. Simms' ball placement is uncanny on intermediate routes, straight to the bread basket, hitting the receivers in stride every time, not throwing behind them or making them reach up to screw up their arm swings and make them change their foot pace.

In traffic, aside from two long throws where the defenders' backs were turned, he put the ball only where the receiver had an opportunity to catch it.

Twice he could have had touchdowns to Reuland. The first time, Reuland had his man beaten but was held, and the ball was still right at his fingertips on the goal line. The second, it looked like Reuland ran the wrong route.

This is a guy that was not only facing 2's and 3's but also playing with them. Hee got sacked 7 times and not a single one of them seemed to be at his own fault.

He forgot each one and went onto the next play like it didn't happen.

And watching his eyes, he is great at going through his progressions while navigating around the pocket.

Blow me with these college stats and daddy rationale. This kid has skill and needs to be developed. I'm still not sold on him starting anytime early in the season, but if Geno starts shitting the bed, the Jets need to pull the rebuilding card and start this guy instead of bringing tired old Sanchez back in.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Awesome post, nice read.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is exactly it. If Geno blows, we have to try out Simms. Sanchez shouldn't start again for Jets.

12. abyzmul

To add to my previous post, he also executed three screens to perfection, anticipating the rush and showing excellent touch on his lobs.

And while he does have excellent mechanics, he also throws very well off balance and throws very well when an unblocked rusher is about to crush him.

And while he has an excellent arm, he doesn't throw a Christmas ham at his receivers. When Favre was here, you could hear the ball slam into the receivers' hands. It sounded painful.

Simms throws a VERY catchable pass.

The ball moves with great velocity but sticks to the receiver's hands like glue, assuming their name isn't Reuland.

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The only reason Simms in not starting is because he was the GMs pet pick. Just as Rex stuck with Sanchez good or bad our GM will stick with Smith. And yes he was the third pick, but I'm sure Rex made the call on the first two picks. Everyone knows Rex always love to pick CB and DL.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

IMO if they end up getting a real starting quarterback out of this group and his name is Simms Idzik and the Jets org will be ok with that and happy, too. Geno unlike Mark was not a high 1st round pick. He was a bargain in that spot in the draft. Earlier in the 2012 college season Geno was considered one of the blue chip prospects and maybe one of the top five players to be drafted. Kind of like Bridgewater is now. That could change, too. So if Simms ends up being a good player and better than Geno hopefully Idzik is not so close minded that he wouldn't just go for it. I think they will. The question is does he get a chance to play.

15. JetBlue

and that is exactly the point most people are making. there are very few, if any, people claiming he should never be given the opportunity to see the field, just that Gino should start the season.

dude, just STFU. you are becoming the junc of Gino, just repeating the exact same thing in every thread and every opportunity.

if you have nothing new to add, don't post. the board doesn't need you copy and pasting your same nonsense over and over again; it adds nothing to the conversation.

16. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

A fact that seems to be overlooked. Simms wasn't playing with the Jet 1's dominating against inferior players on the Eagles. He used the players that he had and elevated his game, and theirs, to perform pretty well.

IMO Sanchez, with the same group, probably plays the way that he does with the 1's. At this point in Mark's career it is not an unfair question to ask him to elevate the skill players around him. People talk all the time about his crappy supporting cast the last 2 seasons, but not every successful QB has Pro Bowl calibre players all over the field. The great, even above average QB's, have the ability to get the most out of lesser players. Fact, Mark is a guy that needs a lot of help to be successful, he simply will never be the guy that elevates the players around him...

17. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

There was some good from him but let's not forget the bad as well. I saw 2 dropped picks that would of almost certainly been pick 6's against 1s. I would also like to see a little more touch on his passes up the seam and not just lasers all day. Overall he was outstanding throughout preseason and definitely was our best QB production wise.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

18. abyzmul

I'm definitely not saying he was flawless. He stated the receiver down on both of those dropped picks and that was ugly.

He also threw two passes at his receivers' feet, one to Campbell which wasn't caught, another to Bell which was ruled a drop and overturned after the challenge.

I think my main point here is that the things he was doing on the field were not easily explained away by the level of competition he was facing.

I'd really like to see him developed. And I'd really like to see him get time with the 1's in practice on occasion, and learn the actual offense instead of being limited to backups and skeleton offenses that he was relegated to playing with in camp and preseason.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

TN plays a much higher level of competition and had an overall bad team. Geno had much more O talent around him and WV played a cup cake schedule. Geno who had a great completion percentage threw a couple of picks in the game against a top 10 team.

Hansen was better than Brady senior year to senior year. Worley who took over for Simms sucked on a bad team in a tough division.

#579 Biggs, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  20. abyzmul

I'm not sure about most, but I do see a number of people making that argument, and I agree with it for the most part.

I also see a number of people wanting him to start immediately, and also a number of people making no argument at all and dismissing him with college arguments and preseason competition.

The logical move was to start Geno. Whether or not it's a smart move remains to be seen.