2013 Week 1 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

:beer:

he's not wrong a lot of times.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I agree with NYJunc 100%. Sanchez did more for this team than any other QB did in the last 30+ years.

Yes he wasnt perfect but his 94.3 passer rating in the playoffs had a lot to do with the success we had. You can sit here and credit the defense all you want but its not like we had the 85 Bears defense out there, and had the defense actually showed up in either championship game, the Jets are in the Super Bowl. When it mattered most, the offense was not the problem.

Now that you all got your man Geno, lets see how long it takes before he even wins a playoff game.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Hoping to see lots of screens, wildcat, play-action if we establish a run game. They have a speedy defense, it'd be ideal to keep them off balance by moving the pocket. Their DL is fierce, OL will have to step it up, it's going to be a big challenge for Vlad on Sunday. It helps playing between Brick and Mangold.

Defensively I always expect a solid game under RR. Josh Freeman isn't anything special but he has weapons. Curious if we'll see any of the 5-1-5 we saw in preseason.

4. DanR

DanR Active Member

Whats the word on Cromartie and Winslow? Any Jets get injured? I vaguely heard something on the radio about injuries.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Exactly!! :metal:

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I too am still rooting for Sanchez but this is what Pennington was in 2007....its pointless to play Sanchez this year since he's a goner next. Jets made the right decision to play Clemens in 07 and saw he didn't have it, thus they made the Favre move(THAT was a stupid move but alas). I think Sanchez can find the light and be a successful backup/spot starter somewhere....it just won't be in New York, and thus we should not waste precious snaps when we have two youngcomers in Smith and Simms who deserve snaps over Sanchez if we are truly "Re-Tooling".

I don't get Jet fans who root against Geno or think he will bomb. Be optimistic, embrace the newcomer and WANT him to do well. Enough of this pessimist bullshit, save that come December if we bomb this year. Everybody is 0-0.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I didn't realize I was a fan, but upon reading this remark, yes... I am now going buck wild.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't have an ego, I just like helping people. Some take it, some don't.

9. Ted

Ted Member

Hey now. We wouldn't have him :lol:

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Coime on, I have been asked to convert more times than I can count(and I'm not from the South so I can count:grin:).

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

My understanding is that a lot of GMs around the league still view Sanchez as potential talent. I know here in NY he is viewed horribly but a lot of teams will try to bring in Sanchez. I don't think his days as a starter are completely over in the NFL, he will start elsewhere.

12. Ted

Ted Member

I am talking about fandom not gender. :grin:

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Oh you have regular conversations with GM's around the league? Where does this understanding come from?

14. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Where? Oakland? See, I like Sanchez as a person and I liked him as a player but he could not get over playing like a rookie year in and year out. As a 5th year player he should have been separating himself from Geno by a large margin but he didn't. He kept Geno in it even after Geno's shaky first start by turning over the ball.

15. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

1. If this team isn't in rebuilding mode, and the "brass" really think they can win now, then they should all be fired now.

2. I'm not rooting against Geno, but I do think he will not be a good QB based on what he did at WV. He completed over 70% of his passes last yr which looks awesome on paper, but he had a huge number of very short passes that were either only went a few yards in the air or behind the line that went for long gains or TD's. When he went up against better defenses, he was not good at all. I just don't think he will be good. I would love to be eating my words come November with a chance at a wildcard...

3. Sanchez still gives the Jets the best chance to win and showed some semblance of promise in the pre-season. I know last season he was awful, but the talent around him dropped off dramatically in the last 2 yrs (not an excuse for a lot of the turnovers, but a reason in some instances)...I am still rooting for him to be the guy, even though I'm pretty sure he isn't.

4. The Favre move was not stupid. If you remember correctly before he hurt his shoulder that season, they Jets were 8-3 and playing very well. They beat New England in OT in a game that they wouldn't have won without Favre. They went in to Tennessee and beat the titans badly when they were one of if not the best teams in the league the next week. The move that was stupid was not benching him when he was hurt.

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I agree that some of his stats get inflated by the Austin/Bailey affect (run 50 yards after the catch), but Smith was still a damn good college QB and played well against good teams.

2011 AP ranked teams: 65%, 9 TDs, 2 INTs
    2012 AP ranked teams: 72.5%, 17 TDs, 4 INTs
    2011 against LSU: 463 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs
    2011 Orange Bowl against Clemson: 75%, 407 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs
    2012 vs Texas: 71%, 4 TDs, 0 INTs
    2012 vs TCU: 59%, 3 TDs, 1 INTs

Geno's problem was that WVU's defense was God-awful, especially last year. They gave up 34 points or more in 9 out of 13 games. In 6 of those games they gave up more than 45 points (Geno actually won 2 of those games). A lot of times they would get down and teams would just pin their ears back and attack him because he had no other option but to throw the ball.

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ive heard it multiple times from credible people in the football industry on TV, Radio, etc.

The perception of Sanchez is not as bad around the league, a lot of people still look at the 4 road playoff wins as potential. I know in NY everyone views Sanchez as the black hole but from what ive heard the rest of the league still thinks he has potential. Once when you do it on the highest stage, no one can take it away from you. Thats why guys like Grossman and Palmer found starting jobs, im sure Sanchez will start another game in the NFL post-Jets.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I like the 2007 season comparison...We gave Clemens a shot to see what he can do. Lets see what Geno has, next season it may be a full clean house and Geno becomes a backup. It starts this Sunday against the Buccs who have decent corners.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Sanchez is still a top 32 QB in the NFL, so like him or not he will play because there are 32 NFL teams.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You should be able to provide a link pretty easy if you've heard it from so many credible people. I'll wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.