The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

It's ironic, many of the same people who are able to say with certainty that Geno is a bust without ever having him play a regular season game are unable to come to that conclusion about Sanchez after watching him be the worst QB in the NFL for 4 years.

2. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Actually I was paraphrasing Rex cause he always talks about how its the decal on the side of the helmet.

I think Geno was a safe pick and bargain for the Jets from a draft perspective. I cracked my crystal ball so no way to tell if he's a bust or franchise or mediocre QB. Have to wait and see.

I would rather have seen Sanchez play with a qualified OC, and let Geno sit. I still believe Mark is broken because of the way the Jets handled him, and less to do about Mark's abilities. Mark was more raw than Geno coming out of college and in the "What if we kept Favre" thread last week, I said Mark should have sat behind Brett anyways.

Throwing Geno in to start week one as a raw rookie - IMHO - is a disaster waiting to happen, again. I formed this opinion because of the situation and not from his abilities.

I hope Geno is successful for a few weeks and Mark can get back in and play before our new rookie sustains a severe injury or really sinks the season with a 4 TO game or 2. If Geno is to be our future, then he needs to be protected for some time otherwise we could be throwing another potentially good QB away in a couple years. Thats my biggest fear with Geno starting.

Like I said in the other thread, I will be supporting whomever is under center for the next 16 games (or more God willing) because he's our QB.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Great post.

I also was a proponent of going with Sanchez because Geno didn't seem to be ready yet, however circumstances have forced the Jets hand so they really had no choice in the matter.

I'm expecting the Jets to approach the Tampa game offensively with a hyper conservative offense that will likely cause this board to explode in agony. I'm thinking Smith will be utilized much like Ben Rapelisberger was utilized by PIT when he first came into the league.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Hobbes, do not turn this into another fucking Sanchez thread.

You realize that you are using one preseason game vs a career of being turnover prone as your argument, right? Geno made rookie mistakes vs the Giants. Sanchez makes the same old mistakes in year 5. Geno has never been a QB that turns the ball over frequently when looking at college.

Once again, this is not Sanchez vs Geno thread.

5. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Your avatar is weak dude.

OT: Geno is being given a chance to shut up his critics, and if the reports are accurate he has at least 2 weeks to do it, 2 weeks to prove he should be the starting QB even when Sanchez is back and healthy. If he can't do that, Sanchez should get the starting gig, even if it is by "default."

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

See, two weeks is not a wide enough time frame to judge a rookie QB.

I personally think the Jets are committed to Geno unless he absolutely can not handle it yet (multiple turnovers in each game, stagnant offense, losing by wide margins). I think they are ready to ride the highs and lows that a rookie may come with. The Jets arent likely to make the playoffs, so why not see what you have in a rookie, as long as he isnt completely overwhelmed?

The first two games are far from ideal, so judging by wins might not be the best determination. The Bucs could have a top 3 Secondary, and the Pats are no joke. Itll be tough, but if God doesnt hate the Jets, Geno will show some signs of hope and improvement.

7. RIPJimLeonhard

Well, if he plays like he did against the Giants they would have no choice but to go back to Sanchez, it all depends on his performance, and if he does enough to prove he deserves to start over Sanchez. I'm not saying I think it's fair to judge a QB in 2 weeks, but that's all the time he has really. And if anything, there is like a 90% chance Sanchez is gone next year, and Geno will have plenty of time to prove himself then.

8. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You know Hobbes, without the Colts pulling their starters, that "seasoned veteran" of yours also only has ONE winning season. We're not talking about Joe Montana here. Just saying.

I'm willing to swallow some rookie mistakes this season ... From a rookie.
    Especially since our seasoned QB has led the league in stupid rookie mistakes for the past four seasons.
    Most of us have had our fill.

I don't expect Geno to light it up, but I think there's an excellent chance he gives us something better than 12 TD's and 20 INT's with a 54% completion rate.

#2708 truthbtold, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Geno will do ok, I don't expect as many TOs from Geno like we did with Sanchez due to a better scheme offensively. MM is a smart man, he will get Geno in a rhythm.

I just don't see alot of big plays in this offense. But I believe we will see a more efficient one. Not many big plays from Geno but smarter throws that will extend drives.

We can't forget about field position for a defense.

10. RIPJimLeonhard

Man, Mark Sanchez ran head first into an ass and got the crap knocked out of him as a 4th year veteran.

11. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

I really hope he does good and has a chance to prove himself but I'm worried that he'll be our Jimmy Clausen causing Teddy Bridgewater to be our (Not nearly as good) Cam Newton

Like the profile pic. Playing through Mario RPG again. Haha

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think Teddy is a much better prospect than Cam was. I dont think we will be in position to draft him. He's going #1 overall. At worst #2. I just dont see it personally, despite what the BS media says.

But if we are in position to draft Teddy, I would draft him without hesitation (if we lost that many games, Geno probably would have had to shit the bed).

Im expecting a season like the Dolphins had last year- good defense, rookie QB that showed improvement but didnt light the world on fire, and lacked overall talent on offense.

13. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Bingo. No need for fans to be on this kid already. He is a rookie and will make mistakes. His upside is high. He was thought of as a potential #1 pick by some scouts even as late as early 2013. There's no need for fans to be screaming for Simms after every Geno mistake. Let Geno learn and grow.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Fixed.....

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Geno! Geno! Geno!

He looked terrible vs NYG and I have little confidence in him right now, but I'm rooting for this kid big time. Hope he threads the fuckin needle on Sunday.

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Not after every Gino's mistake, but you gotta set a limit somewhere. I can't think of anything specific, it's more of an eye test than anything. I would like to see steady improvement though.

Now, if this improvement is not evident by 8-10 game, I'll start screaming for Simms. If nothing else, then just to see if Simms is anything to write home about, or if his preseason performance was just a fluke.

17. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I believe in Eugene.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No playoffs are in the cards this year with ANY QB.

Why are you trolling? I'm about as crabby and negative an old Jets fan can be, but I see no reason to act like the ass you are about Geno. He hasn't even played a game yet.

He might bust but it wouldn't mean you were right about him. You are just being an attention whore. Did he steal a woman from you or something?

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Geno looked bad against the Giants and the reason you worry is because it is against Generic defenses with very little game planning against them.

What happens when full defensive package is unleashed against him. With that being said Marty also tested him he failed but it was a test and to win with Geno we have play ultra conservative and win the field position battle.

They are not going to ask Geno to make as many throws as he did in the Giants game. (At least I hope not). What also worries me in some footage I saw Geno was limping I hope it was just an old clip.

Game plan run run it again have Geno make one read not there tuck and run. The Tebow play book.

20. njjet

njjet Member

Simms should be the starter. He out played Smith and neither have NFL game experience.