2013 Week 1 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

jaguars

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The point soared over your head. Go catch it, I'll wait.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think the Jets win a close game 24-17. The defense will contain their run game and actually bring pressure on Freeman. The pass defense will be solid and I expect Cromartie to get a turnover. I think Geno will have a solid game.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Smitty will do everything he can to lose the game but Rex's Defense saves the day.

5. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

That's hard to say since he is coming off an ACL injury. A healthy Revis, nevertheless, will make any team better.

Anyways, I think it will be a good close game. It will be somewhere between, 17-24 pts between each team. Whoever scores more than 20pts will be the winner. Tampa Bay has better weapons in terms of offense, but I think this game will come down to smart QB play at the last second. Both defenses are nicely built.

Should be a great game! Can't wait!

6. The Red Barron

The Red Barron New Member

The last time we faced a Rex Ryan defense, we didn't have WR Vincent Jackson or Darrelle Revis...

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Does Revis play WR now? Jackson is good, not great. I think Cromartie can limit him OK.

8. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

2012 New York Jets

Ignoring the salary cap AND assuming he's healthy, he makes teams better. When not healthy, or when living in the real world of spending >10% of your cap on a CB, it's a more difficult answer.

So, in 2013, will he be healthy? Probably. Will he be back to a pro-bowl level this year? Possibly. As of right now, he's still a question mark and your point ignores what else this team did with his $ 12m+ cap differential and also relies on your assumption that wherever he plays in 2013 he's healthy & playing at a pro-bowl level. We don't know that for sure.

Not to mention, even when healthy, he's 1 player who can be easily marginalized by a great QB. Take the 2010 Jets- Pats game in December. Big game, Monday night, both teams 9-2, first place on the line. Jets go into Foxboro, and get smoked 45-3. Revis was a pro-bowler that year, at the height of his powers. New England just threw around him. Brady throws for 300 yards with 4 TDs, Sanchez throws 3 INTs, and the Jets get smoked. Maybe without Revis that day the Jets lose 52-3, but there you have a pro-bowl player on the field, and he hardly mattered.

Fast forward a month, Jets go into New England, play the same team, and win 28-21. Brady still threw for 300 yards, but Sanchez threw 3 TDs and no INTs, Jets go from -3 in turnovers to +1, and the Jets win. Defense played great, Revis a part of that, no doubt.

So, yes, Revis is a great player. But it's a TEAM game. As a CB, he can be marginalized quite easily, as Jets fans learned in 2011. Revis went to the pro-bowl, team went 8-8. Did he make the team better? Yes. Did it matter? No. (as the old line about Ralph Kiner went, (paraphrasing) we could've missed the playoffs without him).

Yes, he locks down 1 guy. But it doesn't matter if the rest of your D can't lock down the other 2-3 WRs out there, or if your D-line can't stop the run and gets no rush on the QB, or if your offense sucks. Revis locking down Deion Branch or Brandon Tate didn't matter when the rest of our defense was getting raped by Wes Welker.

I'm sure the Bucs D will be improved with him, as long as he's healthy. I'm sure the Jets D will miss him. He's a great player, I wish we still had him. The question is whether you can take his $ 13m salary hit and make a better team out of it, and only time will tell. In a no-cap league, I'd take Revis any day of the week. In a cap league, for $ 13m...the Jets have shown that they had bigger problems. With him in 2011, the Jets were 20th in pts allowed. Without him in 2012, the Jets were 20th in pts allowed.

In 2013, Dee Milliner & Cromartie make a combined $ 4.3m. Revis & Cro would've made $ 16.8m. (Leaving out the dead money from this contract) Is the difference between them worth ~ $ 12.5m in a league with a $ 123m cap? THAT'S the question, not whether he makes a team better. Blindly assuming his health AND ignoring his hit on the salary cap makes your point a stupid one.

You can now take your snark back to Florida.

We'll wait.

#168 Vanbiesbrouck, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Vincent Jackson is the kind of WR that Cro excels against. Not physical, just long, quick and athletic. But according to the Buccs fan, it's Mike Williams we have to worry about. He's made so many acrobatic catches, you'd think he was a gymnast. A GYMNAST GUYS!

10. The Red Barron

This is not February 2013, we are now into September!

Stop all of the guesswork!

REVIS is healthy, and you will see him against your team when we get up there...

Welcome to reality...

#170 The Red Barron, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  11. The Red Barron

I'd probably give the best 1-2 WR punch to our NFC South foes, Atlanta...

But which receiver tandem leads the league in yds per catch???

***leans back and sips coffee***

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

And the Jets didnt have a passrush and had Kellen Clemens at QB. Now we have a passrush and basically still have Clemens at QB. Im expecting a close game with both offenses looking absolutely terrible.

13. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

The one that went 7-9 & missed the playoffs?

***wipes ass and flushes toilet***

14. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

How about you calm your tits??? I meant in the sense if he will be the same after his ACL injury.

:lol:

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Jets need to get out to an early lead and force the Bucs to pass more....you don't want to get down vs the Bucs.

Its why I hope the Bucs win the coin toss....because they will absolutely defer and I WANT the Jets offense to come out and put the pressure on the Bucs by hopefully having a scoring drive. If Jets win coin toss, they'll defer to the Bucs offense and if Martin breaks out a big run, it could be a back breaker and may force Geno to try and save the ship.

Jets need to get the ball early and put a stamp. Limit the carries Martin will get by getting up early on the scoreboard.

16. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I think if there are any receivers in the league that know how to work Revis, it would be the Jets receivers. These guys used to spar with him on a daily basis. Either way it will be a great matchup.

17. The Red Barron

The point that I was making is that YOU DON'T HAVE REVIS...

Just saying...

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you think there's a single Jets fan that doesn't realize Revis isn't on the team anymore? Why do keep repeating this nonsense? Are there any Bucs fans who don't sound like Rainman after a heavy night drinking?

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We didn't have Revis last year either, and we still finished 2nd in passing yards allowed.

So what's your point?

And before you even say it, yes, we know you have Revis now. Hooray for you, would you like a cookie?

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is either a poor job trolling or a poor job talking football. Embrace one and go with it.

Either way the Bucs on paper are one of the "easier" opponents in our first 9 games. You can disagree and think your team is a worse matchup for the Jets than the Falcons, Pats, Saints, Bengals, and Steelers but I disagree. I think maybe if I'm feeling nice you matchup worse for us than the Bengals, but I don't really think so on paper without seeing any team play yet.

The main reason I think you are a better matchup for us than those teams, is because of Josh Freeman. Over his 4 years in the league, he turns the ball over at a high rate. He has 63 INTs and 36 fumbles in his 4 years. Mark Sanchez has 69 and 43. The turnovers make it a matchup the Jets have a better shot than against a Brady, Ryan, or Brees in my opinion.

Anyways, this is all on paper, but right now I give the Jets a 30-40% chance of winning this game where as vs the Pats/Falcons/Saints I would give them 15-20% chance at winning right now. Things will change as the season moves on, but we aren't going to see new football between now and our game so barring injuries/huge depth chart changes, I think 30-40% is realistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.