How will Geno do in the first game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Aug 31, 2013.

?

How will Geno do in Game 1

Poll closed Sep 9, 2013.
  1. Awesome, he'll tear it up!

2.4%
  2. Good. Solid game generally impressive for his first game

28.1%
  3. Average. Nothing special

31.1%
  4. Below Average. Not looking ready for the Bigs.

25.7%
  5. Poor. The Simms chants erupt in South Florida

12.6%
  1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

2. The Red Barron

The Red Barron New Member

----I'm more concerned about what Ivory looks like. If the run game goes to hell early then I think Geno is forced into an unbalanced situation he's not ready for and has a long day. If Ivory gets going with Powell I think Geno manages things well enough to win.

I just hope he's watching Revis film all week.
    ----

You acquired Ivory from the Saints (am I correct?).

We KNOW Ivory (and all of his tendencies), he used to be in our division!!!

I hope you have some sort of new way to use him...

Ivory is somewhat of a threat when your QB is Drew Brees...

But if the QB is Geno Smith? Ehhhh, not so much. :wink:

Remember, the Bucs had the #1 rush defense last year. Yes, teams threw on us because of horrible pass D. If you watched the games though, they threw on us because they really didn't have a choice. They couldn't run...

First game of the season last year, we left Carolina with a grand total of 10 rushing yards allowed...

I can't wait to see Ivory in his new colors behind Geno Smith...

#62 The Red Barron, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Jeti has said specifically he will be rooting for Revis AGAINST THE JETS. That wasn't invented, people have said it. Obviously we shouldn't root for him to get injured again, but I'd love to see him get burned for a TD in game 1.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Hilarious. One bad game against a really tough D.. I guess that's all he'll ever do.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

0 TD's - 2-3 INT's and a few sacks....

All I can say is that I think Geno will have a rough time in his 1st NFL start. He may not last to the 3rd quarter. It' may not be for lack of talent, but more towards experience: against the opposition and the WCO system......how can this be overlooked?

If the running game falters and he is forced to throw - Jets are in deep doo-doo if they have to rely on the passing game.

All I care about is for the Jets to win, and make the playoffs. I'm not about rooting against a player I thought the Jets made a mistake drafting.. but I am against the obvious made-to-fail maneuver the Jets are confronting Smith with.

Jets are better off with Mark for now.

6. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I voted average, I would have liked to seen a veteran under center, despite all the naysaying. Having said that, I believe Marty will call a game to Geno's strength, and our D will make the difference. Especially since we are at HOME...
    (?? The Simms chants erupt in South Florida ??) :lol:

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I say 2tds 4 ints throws for 124 yards and one of his Tds is a 4 yard run

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It would not be surprising for a raw rookie with such limited exposure to run into some difficulties, and it could be a significant problem if he has to come from behind and open up the offense. Tampa is too good of a D particularly against the run so we need some help

1) MM game planning will have to be spectacular, short passes, screens, wild cat, reverses, and yes even a couple of bombs on first down or second and short. Take the lead and never look back.

2) If Sparano or Shottie were still the OC I would give us 2% chance, but with MM he could put us on the lead and ride a conservative game to victory. 50-50 at best.

3) The D will have to play error free and even score a TD to seal it. If we put their QB on his heals mistakes and turn overs will come.

4) Special teams needs to give us better than good field position all game long.

Not easy by the rest of the team need to step it up and fill the void

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is what I'm thinking too... the Jets won't expose him outright in his first outing. They will take what the Bucs give, and hope to put up some cheap points.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

When it comes to voting the board seems to be very realistic overall in my opinion. Basically around 85% think he won't be disastrous and he won't look like the MVP.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Jets had the #2 pass defense --- why? Because teams got the lead early and ran on the jets all day.

Bucs had the top run defense -- why? Lousy pass defense.

Basically says both teams were sub 500 and need work.

Josh Freeman or Geno Smith - who screws the pooch more often?

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^The big difference, however, is in total yards, where the Jets were ranked 7th and the Bucs were ranked 29th. This shows that our pass D was indeed decent as it carried the D and greatly offset the rushing yards. With the Bucs, their secondary was so bad that teams tore it apart and didn't rush much, but it held down the entire defense, unlike the Jets rushing D. There's two sides to every coin. The Bucs were also frequently behind last season, it doesn't take away from Cromartie's pro bowl performance.

13. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I don't hope that he fails, I just think he will. I thought it was a bad pick but I went into the preseason with an open mind. I know that it is early but he has done nothing to change my mind and much to confirm my suspicion. On the other hand Simms has just lit it up. He has a rocket arm, has made good decisions, shows energy leadership and you can't beat the pedigree. I really, really, really want this kid to get a shot. He clearly won the 'open' competition and frankly I don't think it is fair due to the politics of Geno's draft status that he does not get the chance. But if Geno goes in there and proves me wrong, which he could (although again I doubt) then I am on-board.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I do hope he fails, and fails epic from the start. I would rather the team get this experiment over quick, than it taking four years of crap to finally admit the GM was wrong as he cleans out his desk.

I never though he would be anything to feel good about and finally when the Jets see some light in a guy who has been on the team the last year learning and being I a pro environment they go with a rookie who looked like shit in a preseason game and just a prior to that the HC was bashing saying he had one of the worst practices he had ever seen. Yeah, sign me up for that shitty ride.

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Genome will get himself benched sooner rather than later.

16. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I think he does ok but I'm not 100% sure that Sanchez doesn't start.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Simms chants erupt in South Florida? Isn't this a home game?

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

There will be multiple threads on this board, stating Geno sucks etc.

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This years going to be all about, next years draft position, so I hope Geno starts every game, but the Geno tools will just say he has no weapons, an he a rookie.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Amazing post! I'm the jerk for rooting for Smith and against Revis. Of all the posts on this thread, you ignore those who are giddy with the thought of Smith failing miserably and hoping for A Regis pick 6 and attack me for hoping and rooting for success.