The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would like Geno to play in tmw's game if he isnt going to start the season. Its understandable that they dont want him to get hurt if they do not think Mark will be ready by then, but if they expect Sanchez back, Geno needs the reps.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That was precisely the point. He cannot line up under the center. That means rushing attacks will be outside/inside zone read. No power running or RB lining up behind the QB. It literally shaves more than two thirds of rushing attack options - and on top of that, Jets RB isn't exactly quick at finding holes or decisive when attacking a hole. Rushing attack will be a disaster.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

From what Ive seen, Russell Wilson and Mike Vick (who worked under MM) played a good amount from shotgun. Same goes for Nick Foles from my understanding. 66% of QB snaps last year were from shotgun, so most NFL QBs are going to be throwing from shotgun. The Eagles and Seahawks havent struggled to run the ball, but understandably they have very talented backs.

I think Marty is a smart enough guy to be able to utilize Geno's strengths. From my understanding, Vick was primarily a shotgun QB in Atlanta and went to the Eagles the same way. Marty not only utilized his strengths, but also improved his footwork from center by a noticeable amount.

It could hinder the Jets run game at first, but hopefully his footwork will improve with reps and he can be worked from center more.

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

(posted in another thread)
    He isnt playing because Sanchez is hurt. The extra virgin QB with little experience shockingly could start week 1 if Sanchez isnt ready to go.

It just goes to show how stupid the move to put Sanchez in the 4th was.

Geno needed extra playing time and obviously cant risk injuring him more in a meaningless game so he sits tomorrow while knowing he needs the most practice out of all of em (even Simms).

If Sanchez was healthy, Geno plays the 1st Q tomorrow.

#2424 mute, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Check my link above again. It highlights Wilson's excellent footwork.

Look, it's not about which formation you use. Rather, it's more or less about whether you are FORCED to use that said formation. At this point, Geno presents that problem. His horrible footwork needs some serious work.

6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Geno is clearly our BEST option. He has played better than Sanchez in practice AND in the preseason games. All Sanchez has shown is that he is, well, Sanchez. Why are people dismissing all of Sanchez;s ints, fumbles and stupid plays but crucifying Geno for his when the rest of his plays were at a higher level than Marks? I do not get it

7. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Sanchez should never take another snap for the Jets. What is with this bullshit that he is our best option? It is completely idiotic.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

People who are promoting Sanchez as the best option are in denial about the state of the Jets at this point. They're thinking something along the lines of "if Sanchez just played the way he did in 2010 everything would be better for the Jets and we'd have a chance to compete."

The facts are that Sanchez played better for a significant portion of 2011 than he did in 2010 but the Jets were worse overall despite that. When he played really poorly in games that season the Jets collapsed around him. At the end of the season he did this for several games in a row and the Jets collapsed around him.

Mark Sanchez is not the reason the Jets are bad right now. He's a symptom of the disease not the cause. The reason the Jets are bad right now is because their talent levels in many areas of the team are similar to their talent level at QB with Mark Sanchez. In other words, not good enough and waiting for other people to step up and carry the team.

Mark Sanchez could be the Sanchez of 2010 in 2013 and the Jets would still go 6-10. If he's the Mark Sanchez of 2012 in 2013 we'll be lucky to go 4-12.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

What are you basing your concept he can run from? Not every black QB can run, and go figure the Jets would fine the only one who can't.

Even when he had to run in college he did nothing. When you average less than 1-1/2 yards you suck. The one time he tried to run in a Jets uniform he twisted his ankle.

He will get killed running the ball against NFL safeties and linebackers, he has no idea how to take a hit in the open field. I hope he does try to run, then we can get this Geno experiment over with quick when he is put on IR.

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

based on what I've seen he has a moderate set of running skills. if given room he's fast enough to get a first down, can direct those blocking in front of him and can also slide(which i only mention cause #6 couldn't do that at first). he's certainly more of a pocket passer though, not a mobile threat like newton or griffin III but not a bad runner either.

oh and scum move hoping for a player to get injured, nice guy real nice.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im personally not going to judge his entire footwork off of 3 quarters in his first game right now. It definitely didnt appear good, but Marty who has seen his footwork all throughout camp has been impressed with the strides he's made there.

Should we fault him for not being on par with Russell Wilson? He's definitely not the rule- and arguably played as well as two of the best QB prospects in quite some time. But I do think the way Seattle played him could be used as a template for Geno IF we are forced to start him with Mark's injury.

At this point, I wouldnt mind Geno starting the season and getting game experience under his belt. Only then can we truly evaluate him and see if he's made improvements in his footwork.

I would also like to note that Wilson came from a very similar system in college so he didnt have to start from scratch in terms of footwork like Geno basically has to do. I hope it will come with time.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont think he has really tapped into his athletic ability that much yet. He seems like an athletic guy, and he shouldnt really be faulted for his ankle injury- he said it was his first in his life.

I think he could use his legs in a similar manner to Aaron Rodgers with more athleticism.

13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Geno has shown the ability to put touch on short screen passes and hit backs in stride, something Sanchez could never do. The ability to execute a successful screen will do a lot to slow down opposing rushers and result in Geno getting flushed less.

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Sorry But Geno Is not ready

I don't often go out on a limb like this and hope I'm wrong, really.
    But..........Geno is in no way shape or form ready to be an NFL QB.

This isn't now an argument as to who is the best QB to be our QB, that's now been determined with whatever criteria thats been selected.

What is obvious to me is that he's now the QB with the least amount of experience and who has looked the least impressive in pre-season, god help him.

I wish him all the best, talk about thrown to the wolves

15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

NO shit my man. He's their choice and as a Jet's fan I will pray that he survives. It's really kind of crazy if you think about it...he REALLY doesn't look ready. At all.

I've put my personal feelings out there in a few threads so no reason beating a dead horse...I pray the Jets don't pull a "Jets" and ruin this guy before he could be good.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

And water is wet. We'll win this game somehow because RR is a fucking Boss.

I hate Sanchez but he is our best option. We can win games with Nacho, we have before.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This could be the best scenario for the Jets.

18. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I know it's a different situation, but I remember watching Cam Newton in the preseason as a rookie and thinking, "this guy looks awful ..."

He had a productive year with 4,000+ passing yards, 35 total TDs and 700+ rushing yards.

There is hope still.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree he didn't look ready but he did show some good things in the preseason. I'm guessing Morningwood is going to focus on the good things he could do and try to protect him with play calling that features what he can do well rather than ask him to do things he can't.

The coaches have also seen a lot more than we have so.

I would also wait to hear what we have from a legit source.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

No better prep than game action

Tough schedule early he gets his feet wet then after the bye the schedule eases and he becomes better each week there after