The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So we learned that that the Kid isn't ready to start in the NFL yet. Geno Smith ain't RGIII or Russell Wilson. Get over it. Geno will get another shot at starting some point later in this season. The stage appeared too big for him saturday nite and it showed on that panic safety. The kid is human and yeah, he's a rookie. If he's still playing like that in his 4th or 5th year like another QB we know, then label him a bust. Until that happens, let the kid develop to the pros on a more even learning curve than throwing him into the deep end of the pool. If he played that badly against the Giants, can you imagine the havoc that a Belichek defense would cause?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's a rookie. Most rookies look unprepared in their first real exposure to the NFL. It's just what it is.

We're going to find out a lot more about Geno Smith in the months to come. The game against the Giants is going to be either a foot note or an indicator and we have no clue which is the case yet.

Trust in Marty Mornhinweg to game plan in a way that hides Geno's flaws and promotes his strengths. MM has a pretty good track record at this point. He'll likely figure things out.

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Geno isn't ready. That doesn't mean sucks now or in the future.

I'm beating a dead horse with this but, if Sanchez is healthy, start him. Let Geno ride the pine. Let him grow in the safety of the sideline. If Mark has a great year? awesome - trade bait or keep him. If he falters? Put Geno in. Starting Geno week 1 is akin to starting Sanchez week 1 on 09

We will be setting up our "QB of the future" to fail.

Please add some logic to your debates everyone.

4. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

Is he signing for an arena team ?

He was hopeless ,whats more he knew he was hopeless, in the end he was just getting rid of the ball anywhere looked like he expected to get picked .
    Yes its preseason can you imagine this guy starting week one ,the whole
    QB situation is just totally fucked up to an unbelievable extent ...

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

What do we have to lose by starting Geno week 1?

Let's get him as much NFL experience this year as possible. He improved every year in college, hopefully as the year goes on he'll get more comfortable and show steady progress..

7. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I don't get it. People keep saying Geno isn't ready after 1 game. But is Sanchez really more ready? I don't see it. Give the kid a shot and let him learn on the fly.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Well to be fair in 4 of those 5 in a row losses the other team scored 49 points or more and one loss was in double overtime. Can hardly lay a loss at the kids feet when the defense is giving up 50 points a game. and he did only throw 5 ints to 11 TD's in those 5 losses. The only real bad game he had in that stretch was against K-State. Granted he didn't set the world on fire, but he didn't flub the games either. The defense just blew chunks big time. In one of those losses His team scored 49, unfortunately the Oklahoma scored 50. in two of the other losses WV put up 35 or more points. Not exactly weak outings.

And this is why, boys and girls, we don't use W/L as a judge of how good a QB is, W/L is a TEAM stat, not an individual stat.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep, most people who are ragging on him for the picks forget that in Sanchez's year in 2009 where he "led" the jets to the playoffs he had 4 games where he was picked off 3 or more times, not to mention laying the ball on the ground 10 or 11 times, and being unbelievably lucky on the Jets recovering almost all of them, statistically speaking the defense recovers about 55-60% of all fumbles.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Smith has been late on his reads, late delivering the ball, and half, yes half of his passes are either behind the receiver or the receiver has to slow down and wait for the ball. People say he has a lot of drops by receivers. Well that happens when the receiver has to slow or wait and gets antsy knowing a defender is no coming down on them. Which can also cause them to take there eyes off the ball.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Receiver drops, slow receivers, sucky receivers can't be used as an excuse...
    I mean, I think it's a legitimate excuse but they aren't allowed for Sanchez so yea, same rules apply...

But, Being Late on reads, delievery etc, that comes with time, confidence and learning the system... I'm not ready to kill him for that (yet)

12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Geno is smart he will adapt what is weird for me is that he has wheels but he never uses them to scramble.

13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

He never had to use them in college but against NFL pass rushes he will use them much more.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He doesn't look like a natural when he runs with the ball. He looks kind of gangly and awkward, albeit not slow. The ankle roll was crappy turf but I still think that having Geno run more than he needs too is a mistake.

When he has to run after getting outside the tackle box he'll do that. Putting him in harm's way by using pre-planned runs is iffy in my opinion. One bad hit and you wish you'd never thought of the idea in the first place.

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I just rewatched all of Geno's throws, and I came away impressed. Aside from the silly turnovers he's much more accurate than Sanchez. He was victimized by some bad drops and a batted pass or two. I would suggest anyone who has the opportunity to rewatch the game and actually watch how accurate this kid is and compare that to Sanchez. Then realize it was his first time starting an NFL game.

Go back and watch their completions, Geno's ball placement is dead on between the numbers a lot more than you'll see from Sanchez.

He did look a bit awkward under center, but he looked fine from the shotgun. On the saftey, he had made the correct play earlier in the game, rolling out and throwing the ball away when he was in the end zone. He clearly knew where he was(despite media accounts), which is why he tried to throw the ball when he realized he couldn't get out of the tackle box. The rush came too quickly for him and he couldn't get away. That would have been a safety (or a pick six) with Sanchez in there.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I rewatched all of Geno's throws, with a hopeful mind, and many of them scared the hell out of me. And I don't like the idea of Sanchez starting.

We are in serious trouble on offense.

17. Tom

Tom Member

Sanchez had 4 games last year alone with a worse passer rating than Geno's bad game. Sanchez threw 4 INTs two regular season starts ago. Its funny how people seem to forget that and think Sanchez should be automatically anointed the starter. He has consistently proven to be a turnover machine.

#2397 Tom, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea Sparano had alot to do with last year, what alot of people don't realize about Sanchez is he is a system QB he can't adapt to certain things. With that said I think Marty Morningwood's west coast offense is the system he's belonged in since day 1

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Interested, which four games were they? I'm limited for internet access, if you require an explanation.

20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

you and others keep bringing up this useless gibberish.

First off it's preseason. Second, because hes f'ed up in the past doesnt mean he'll automatically f up in the future.

This is a new year, new OC. Let him play during the reg. season and see if he can be better under a different system where real game planing is introduced. He could actually surprise everyone and play better.