The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Its need versus want for us and we tend to want what we dont need. Instead of picking a player and utilizing a pick that is a necessity we reach for players. I like the BPA approach during the draft and fill the void that we have. As bad as we want to replace Sanchez if its not a franchise QB for almost sure then don't waste a pick. Get some weapons for Sanchez or who ever is back there throwing like Oline, WR , Running Back, TE.... When's the last draft that we did such a thing? If we don't put weapons for our QB to throw to you setting them up to fail and no Big name QB will want to go where there is nobody to throw to

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

If you put kaepernick or any of those still questionable one high year players on this jets team how will they do ?

3. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

my guess is badly. this offense is an expansion offense. dalton, luck, kap, rg3 and wilson all had a bunch of weapons in place to throw the ball to and they had a running game

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't expect Smith to be great, I do expect him to be better than Sanchez in the long run. How good Smith will be has yet to be determined, but it wouldn't really take much to be a better QB than Sanchez has been over 4 years. The odds of Smith being a top 10 QB at any point are slim. The odds of Sanchez being a top 10 QB at some point are practically non existent.

5. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

wow dude, bringing real statistical information with a real positive outlook on things. Why are you wasting your time here when you need to be doing something productive because they still wont listen :grin:

6. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

i gotta be honest...i watched geno play about four or five times last season and i dont ever expect anything from him. he never struck me as anything more than a system QB

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You very well may end up being right . . . but of course, how you would actually know this NOW is beyond me. Go back and read press clippings about Kaepernick during the time period that he was posting those preseason statistics. I dare you to find ONE person who thought he was going to be a star, let alone a starting NFL quarterback.

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Do you think that's reasonable though?

9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

well looks like your sig is correct.

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

no I do not.

11. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

I don't think Geno Smith is ready to run an NFL offense. Actually I don't think he'll ever be a starting caliber NFL quarterback, but if he's to have even the slightest chance he needs to sit and learn for a while. The worst thing the Jets could do, IMHO, would be to throw him to the wolves when he is woefully unready.

12. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Haha I'll give it to you, you were right. I'll remove it now.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Answer, Better than Sanchez and probably (90% likely) better than Smith.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I believe that some people have psychic power. Don't you? Most of the football psychic power is in Vegas. Geno had a very typical first start for a raw rookie. He is tall, he has athletic ability. He has a strong arm. We shall see. But some folks can look into his brain, right through the tv set, and know he does not have what it takes. You are just not one of those, obviously.

15. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

[​IMG]

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I've been saying this stuff even before we drafted him. He was in a system that never huddled, he never had to call plays, he never had to call audibles and rarely if ever worked under center. He never had to read defenses in college and he will never be able to handle the NFL caliber defenses he will face. In college he was always throwing to his first or second read, in the NFL he will need to throw to 3rd and 4th reads.

17. Every word of this is false.Geno played in a different system every year in college. There is more to the story than just his draft year.There is more to a prospect than his college productivity.We're talking about a rookie qb.It takes time.

Jets fans dont care though. Anything to bash a player & feed the "woe is me" garbage.It's ruining TGG & ruining jets football.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah the same people that are running around saying we need to give Sanchez another shot are then bashing Geno saying yesterday shows he's a wasted pick and never will be a NFL QB. THe same people calling for Geno and bashing Mark, turn around and blame the lack of run game and WR for Geno throwing INTs. At the end of the day, neither QB has impressed and snatched the QB job from each other. That's frustrating most definitely, but at the end of the day we are all Jets fans. I don't think Sanchez is going to light up the world week 1 and I don't think Geno will either, but come week 1 I'm going to be rooting for them to do so and rooting for whoever is under center to succeed whether that be Mark, Geno, Simms, McElroy, or Player X. Now I've stated in the past, the odds of that QB lighting up are very low, but that isn't going to stop me from rooting for them to take the NFL by storm.

19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i disagree. throwing a young qb to the wolves is exactly what i want to do. im with the parcells school of thought, where he said look, if the guy goes out there, stinks up the joint, and that ruins his confidence forever, well thats not the kind of guy i want running my team anyway and its better to find out sooner or later.

the best way to learn at basically anything is to learn on the job. in game reps are the best experience. if he stinks, fine, we were gonna suck this year either way. id rather that sucky season go towards getting him the experience. if it ruins his confidence, well like bill says, thats not the guy i want leading my team anyway

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He throws the ball better than Sanchez already. His ball placement is more accurate on his completions, he can hit his WR's in stride, and he knows when to give up on a play. He had some rough rookie mistakes, but he might learn from those.

He looks nothing like a RB throwing the ball. I'm not sure how someone could even come away with that opinion.