The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

As comfortable as a rookie could, yes. I was looking for two things..command of the huddle and identify pass rush. IMO, he satisfied those qualities. I don;t know if he had all the right calls, but he he seemed like he was confident at the line and was identifying the pass rush.

Mechanics can be honed on the job as long as he's not getting himself killed via sacks, and he isn't.

#2261 FlashGordon, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. FlashGordon

I should add that I didn't expect 3 picks, but I plan on offering the same benefit of the doubt that I gave El Nacho in year one.

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I can accept those...thanks for clarifying.

I guess, at the end of the day, I am beginning to get spoiled by many of these QB's coming out and they are already relatively polished passers coming in. Geno, I guess, is not.

4. FlashGordon

Colin Kaepernicks first preseason...24 of 50 with 5 picks...he's good now...
    http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/gamelogs?season=2011

5. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

None of the INT's turned into points so, there's that.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Geno came from a non-pro style offense. Luck did. Wilson did. Griffin didn't, but he was a special college quarterback, and Washington changed the system to fit his skill set.

This is Geno's 2nd professional game, and he's making a big adjustment. Really hope Sanchez's injury isn't bad. I think this team could be decent with Sanchez playing mediocre football. Not sure Geno is ready for that.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Let me clarify

Geno looked uncomfortable and he's a 2nd round pick

The commitment isn't high

Especially at QB, if he doesn't show he can be the QB we need it puts us in a tough spot come May

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

For those trying to give Geno a freebie:

Russell Wilson, a 3rd rounder, won the competition fair and square, then led Seahawks to playoff berth while playing sound and efficient offense. Consider that. If Sanchez deserves his share of blame, SO DOES GENO.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If you can't beat em', send em' out in the 4th Q to get destroyed by some scrubs!

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Smith is what we knew he was coming out of WV - a guy who throws dink and dunk passes and isn't a runner. He seemed confused, horribly stared down receivers, was a deer in headlights running out of the endzone, and at best a career backup.

Smith was fun to watch in college throwing screen passes to Austin and running a no huddle -- but this isn't WV playing Devry.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He seemed like a rookie who wasn't ready to play. Making a determination like that after his first preseason start as a rookie is stupid at best.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although you can see what I was saying from day one, that he should be on the bench learning in 2013.

13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

wow you guys judging the kid over a game? ... a backup QB for life really? Thank god we have Mark Sanchez to save the future of the Franchise since we trade up to target him.

14. 85inthehall

Smith didn't show any spark at all...if it wasn't for 4 penalties for 33 yards on the TD drive I doubt he is even sniffing the end zone. The only decent completion he had all night was an under throw to hill that he slowed down for.

He is not the answer...has shown it in camp against better competition. He was a gimmick QB in college running no huddles and tossing 60% or so of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. NFL defense will just squeeze his field, cut off screens,and crowd the line killing the running game.

I didn't like the pick in April and I like it even less after last night.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The best thing is Geno has a ton of negatives to look at on film but some of these things are concerning

-flat footed at times
    -shaky footwork
    -slow getting the ball out
    -sits in the pocket too long
    -no anticipation on throws
    -few rushed throws
    -one read and throw typically ends up bad

16. 85inthehall

The out to Winslow was a perfect example and they talked about it. Ball is snapped he immediately focuses on Winslow. He has to throw the ball before he breaks on the route. instead he waits until he breaks, considers it, and make a crappy throw. That is concerning because he doesn't seem to have a true feel for the speed of the game or enough confidence in his ability/knowledge to make that throw correctly. That is not what you want to see out of your starter in an offense based on timing and precision.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Amazing ... guys that are still defending Sanchez to this day have already decided Geno isn't the answer after 1 preseason game. Simply amazing.

18. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

yeah better waste first rounds on mark sanchez and kyle wilson then a 2ยบ on geno who was in many boards the best qb of the draft...

19. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I agree Geno shouldn't judged solely on 1 game, but the problem there are only 3 Pre season games for the coaches to judge, 4 th game is obv. Not for starters.

So the coaches have only 2 games and camp to judge Geno. The fans have only basically 3 quarters to judge him. Based on what we seen he looks like a raw qb, a project with great potential.

Now as far as this competition goes Sanchez won, Geno might start due to make injury. Gmac should've been competing with Mark and Geno but coaches know better.

Bottom line for Geno, in his chance to shine, he failed.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm not giving up on Geno just being critical and unbiased

Negatives are negatives and I'm done with Nacho

Geno needs work and I can't say I'm 100% sure he's the answer and I'm saying that not because of today

I felt this way throughout the process

The learning curve for a QB is tough

In New York you gotta bring it early

If we were in Kalamazoo he'd get some time but this franchise has been lacking a 3 headed monster for many years(GM/HC/QB)

First we make the new GM keep a HC then the new HC will likely have to keep a QB

We're building backwards