The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

One thing is for certain. Sanchez will not be allowed to toss 26 ints ever again before being replaced.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sitting a rookie to make adjustments has gone out of style but it definitely has its place in the development book.

John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Drew Brees and company can all attest to the value in sitting a rookie down to get his head on straight for a few series or even occasionally the rest of the game.

I think the road that offers the Jets less possibilities is the one where they start Sanchez and then go to Smith at some point later in the season. That's the road where bringing Sanchez back in to give Smith an instructional timeout is harder to do.

It's not a normal progression at this point to sit a rookie as part of the learning process after he has hit the field but maybe it should still be part of the big picture.

I don't see much value in Mark Sanchez being on the field this year except maybe in relief of Geno Smith. It'd be a shame to lose that ability by having Sanchez booed off the field before Smith gets his chance to play.

BTW, I give the 24/7 thousand source media monster a big share of the blame for people not being willing to sit a young QB after he has hit the field. If a dozen sources are going to immediately pan the move as a lack of confidence in the new QB then it becomes much harder to take him off the field when you need to sit him for a bit.

In the old days the head coach would say that he was pulling the QB to aid in the process of making him a better player and the half dozen media types in attendance would all nod their head in agreement.

Today you get "Screaming Points with Stephen whoever and his buddies" and there is virtually no chance the decision doesn't get savaged by somebody just to differentiate and sell.

#2182 Br4d, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Your post does not reflect reality. It sounds like a stupid conspiracy theory.

The coaches aren't wasting precious snaps with the 1's on appeasing the media and fans. They're trying to find out who gives them the best chance to win games.

4. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Not sure if anyone else caught it, but a few minutes ago on ESPN 98.7: Sal Paolantonio being interviewed, "You heard it here first, Geno Smith will be the starting QB of the New York Jets on week one." He was adamant about it. Said that after slow development in OTAs, Geno has been picking up the offense fast and furiously while showing great athleticism.

Nothing overly ground breaking but that's a pretty credible opinion of someone that reports on the Jets fairly often for more of a national reporter.

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

He also reported that tebow might be getting a second look by the franchise after the draft was over.

I'll take that statement with an orbiting lunar mass of salt thank you very much.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sanchez started as a rookie why can't Geno

Who has way more talent

7. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

It was said above and I agree in some part

Who do you start, the guy that's been around the block but turns the ball over too much, or the rook that may be a deer in headlights but has more potential to make plays?

I keep going back and forth, but I'm currently on the Geno side of the coin. With Sanchez I think you kow what you are getting (unless MM is really the solution here). PROBABLY decent play, some missed opportunities, some missed easy ones, but he'll get you in and out of the huddle and be competent enough to run the offense. POTENTIAL leans towards turning it over a few times more than lighting it up.

Geno PROBABLY will have some rookie mistakes, delay of games, take some bad sacks but be able to play well within the confines of the leash that MM gives him. But his POTENTIAL leans towards not turning the ball over and making some big plays.

I think the safe play with the higher bottom is Sanchez, but the probable and potenial leans towards Geno based on what I've been hearing so far. I'm with the latter.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Very well put.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I personally see the bolded part completely opposite. If Rex goes ahead and starts Sanchez while Geno is clearly playing as well as him during camp, then Rex is leaving it all on the line with Sanchez.

If he starts Sanchez and they dont make it to the playoffs, Rex is done.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

This is the John Idzik era now. John Idzik's MO from day 1 has been about competition. Thats how the Seahawks uncovered Russell Wilson. If you think Idzik wont follow through with holding a fair competition simply because the outstanding Mark Sanchez is the incumbent, you are way off base.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

Thats for public consumption.

Caleb Schlauderauff has no shot at playing center.

Matt Flynn to seattle, was a joke.

Oh, and P.S. was Idzik the G.M. In Seattle? Ummm.,no!

He was a contract and budget guy. Stop making shit up.

He had zero say over "competition" in Seattle.

He was Tamny, pre-GM.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Making shit up? Idzik came from Seattle who's MO was competition. Fact. He's clearly brought over that same way of business.

Im not sure why you keep bringing up Caleb Schauderaff whenever competition is brought up. Im pretty sure theres a difference between Mangold vs Schlauderaff and Sanchez vs Smith. Once is between an all-pro and a back up, the other is a 5th year incumbent who has been a bottom tier QB vs the best QB in this years draft (and please Hobbes, dispute that because the Bills chose EJ over Geno).

Once again, are you truly trying to dispute that there's an actual competition at the QB position???

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Idzik has been around football far longer than Tanny, that's a poor comparison Hobbes. Idzik has been on every level in football, I don't think he's just a cap and budget guy - I think he offers far more to the table.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sanchez might want to dispute that.

It's a horse of a different color.
    We're not in Kantchez any more...

[​IMG]

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Oh c'mon....... Let's not let the Sanchez hate blind your objectivity. No one really knows what Geno's got at this point. He's a rookie that's practiced a few days.

While agree about the starting gig comment.... the JETS were FAR more talented in 2009 than they are now, which not only "protected" Sanchez, they also really had no other choice (Kellen clemmens, really?) and a small window.

Sanchez was a more highly touted prospect than Geno entering the draft....... but unfortunately doesn't look like he'll pan out the way we hoped.

I think Geno is the future, but let's all be real about this (no comments from Hobbes)

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is really the answer. RW was competing against someone that started three games and had a great defense and great running game.

Same with RG3 and luck well is luck.

The Jets failed to develop Sanchez yet we want to do the same thing with Geno makes a ton of sense. The Jets o-line (Huge question marks) Wr(huge question marks) Rb (Huge question marks). Yeah lets start him.

The funny thing some on this board are already calling to draft the next QB. (Just amazing)

You develop a QB by giving him a good running game and veteran weapons. Look at

Washington- they have Moss and brought Garcon

Seattle- Golden Tate, Sidney Rice went and got Percy Harvin

Colts- Reggie Wayne (Not sure who they brought in)

Panthers- Steve Smith

San Fran- Davis, Boldin, Craptree and had Randy Moss

Jets- Shit, Shit and Shit- all on Sanchez though and we want to expose another QB prospect to that?

The Jets will use Mark as a sacrificial lamb the media and the fan base already blames sanchez for a ll NY woes. Mark will either Play decent or fall on his ass. I don't think he has the weapons to play great unless Braylon and Winslow turn back the clock and hill jumps forward.

When you need to make the change you make the change. You give Geno time to listen to the plays watch how develops spend time in the film room and start grooming him.

The biggest negative about Geno as of today is he holds the ball to long. Holding the ball to long leads to getting hit getting hit leads to happy feet. (Davis Carr)

Don't let your hate for Mark ruin Geno. It is all positive right now great reports big strong kid studies hard wants to be great. Why subject him to the fans that will want to draft another QB if he struggles which without a doubt he will.

I want Geno to be a pro bowler for the next years not a game manager they tried to turn Mark into. Geno is in a great position he has incumbent QB that the fans and media hate. Then he gets to come in and be the hero with time to learn the system and what it means to be an NFL QB.

17. G_know4Pres

G_know4Pres Banned

Yes but if Geno gives the team the best chance to win then why should he sit? I do agree with many of your points, and it would probably be better for Geno if he sat for awhile while absorbing the game at his own pace, but this is a win-now league. Rex knows they need to turn it around, and starting Geno is a complete 180 from what we've seen from RR and co. the past couple of years. As long as he makes his decision based on who gives the team the best chance to be competitive idc who starts. And if that plan fails, well then put the other guy in and see what he can do. A wrong decision is better than indecision at this point.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Geno gives the Jets the best chance to win you have to start him. Players in the locker room would resent the fact that they didn't do so and would lose respect for the coach. It would be a bad scene.

You always start the guy who gives you the best chance to win unless he simply isn't ready.

19. murksauce

murksauce Member

I feel that those who are on board with Geno sitting even if he is just better than Sanchez are just Sanchez apologists without the balls to say so.

I saw some guy post on another site that Geno should sit and get even better so that mark Sanchez can start.... and if Sanchez plays well to keep sanchez in the rest of the season and then TRADE him.... what?

Sometimes I just don't get some of these people, if you want the best for this team you do NOT want Sanchez to play the whole season or even some of the season and show any glimpse of being good because Rex will fall in love and get him signed for another extension and we will be blessed with more mediocre play at QB.

BTW... Did you guys read that Keyshawn Johnson rant on Sanchez yet?

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

You guys would really bash our surrounding players just to get your wish of starting Mark

Our team is not lacking talent, sure we don't have pro bowl skill position players but we have an improved O-Line, great coaching and potential at the skill spots

It's all about putting them in a position to succeed

Geno is the future and the future and the future is now

Let him learn from his mistakes not Marks