Brian Costello: McKnight failed conditioning test

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Jul 25, 2013.

1. gopats88

gopats88 Member

McKnight touched the ball only 70 times last season and fumbled 3 times. That's a rate of 23.3 touches/fumble.

For comparison's sake, Steve Slaton got benched in 2009 for fumbling 7 times on 175 touches (25 touches/fumble), and his career never survived that fall from grace. And that was only a year after Slaton was a top 10 RB in the league, rushing for 1282 yards and 9 touchdowns.

A year before, in 2011, McKnight fumbled 3 times on 95 touches (a rate of 31.7 touches/fumble), which is still very bad. McGahee had the most fumbles of any RB last year, and he had a better rate of 38.6 touches/fumble. Same with the next few players on the list (Charles: 64.0, Bush 65.4, Lynch: 67.6, McCoy: 63.5) until you get to Fred Jackson (30.0).

I'd say it's fair to wonder whether the coaching staff has any confidence in his ball security, and I believe it is accurate to say that his fumbling problems are one of the main reasons the coaching staff has felt that he hasn't earned more responsibility in the offensive game so far. The statement you responded to...

seems pretty accurate to me.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

you do grasp what dropping weight is in the fight game? they tend to add 5 to 12 lbs of weight between weigh in and fight time.

if they said hey come on in at 3 percent body fat than yes, they are also in fact stupid. however there is personal responsibility to be able to practice. you make sure you are hydrated, i dont think anyone needs to tell you that.

3. gopats88

gopats88 Member

If we're getting technical, most of the weight that fighters add between weigh-in and the actual fight is water weight, not fat (at least according to my understanding). So it is actually possibly that a fighter is competing at a lower body fat % than his weigh-in (same amount of fat divided by a higher overall weight due to the increase in water). I agree with your overall assessment that a body fat anywhere below 5-6% seems like it would be more of a detriment than an aid to the overall performance and health of an athlete. Obviously I'm no expert though.

4. alleycat9

yeah it is probably more water weight.

im sticking by my examples though :)

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In one post says McKnigh knows how to carry the ball, in the next tells someone getting facts correct should be a priority. I love hypocrites. :grin:

6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if McKnight gets cut

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I think he'll stay on unless we get another kick returner. Maybe Zach Rogers.

8. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

You're probably right but Goodson, kerley, gates, cromartie, Rogers are all viable kick returners

And With another year of "conditioning problems" Can't see them keeping him unless there's a significant injury.

I could be wrong though. Time will tell.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Mark Gastineau played for years with the Jets with a body fat percentage of 3.5% and he didn't seem to hurt him at all..the other side of that would be to ask how he did that.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think we both know it was steroids and cocaine.

11. dco20

dco20 New Member

I'm convinced that Kentucky Jet and McKnight must be related, KJ has defended McNothing since day 1. The facts usually are turned around in KJ's defense of him.

12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this was already posted. Here is a good NY Post article about why McKnight failed the physical (due to his extremely low 3.3% body fat); he's not lazy, he worked too hard. Also, McKnight has some interesting commentary on the NY Media and Sanchez.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/mcknight_light_ZzwP1MaPcmxJsDv64vzxEP

13. alleycat9

horseshit. if you are dehydrated and not drinking enough water you arent getting up in the middle of the night.

and now he had an issue again yesterday.

smh.