HYPOTHETICAL: What If Rex Was Fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I was thinking earlier

What if Idzik had the right to fire Rex when he was hired?

Who would our HC be?

What would our draft have been like?

Would Sanchez still be here?

What do you guys think?

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

its impossible to say without knowing the coach. draft may have been a bit different but sanchez would still be here.

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I think its a bad idea, I don't even want ot think about it. For the Rex must go crowd, can you remember when the Jets had an identity? Like it or not, Rex is the best coach this organization has had since, well maybe ever. Yes he has his shortcomings as an offensieve coach, but more than makes up for it with his Defenseive prowess.

To answer your question Jeti,

Cower is overated

Gruden Would have to overhaul this team as he is an offensieve coach, 4 year rebuild

Mike McCoy- Before he went to the CHargers would have been a good choice

** Bo Pelini is my choice, he is a no non-sense guy who demands accountability and results**

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

We would still be stuck with Sanchez, but we would have drafted Warmack, the ND TE and a WR with the first 3 picks. Then we would get Bridgewater next year.

A seattle assistant would be coach.

5. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

In any and all scenarios Sanchez would remain on the roster, that's a certainty. Just too much money with nobody substantial waiting in the whims. Too many hypotheticals to think about, although you bring up some interesting moves that may very well be reality after this season.

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

You do know the GM makes the picks right? The coach, well coaches. It's a hard concept for many on this board.

But let's assume we did pick 3 impact starters. I don't think we would be "stuck" with Sanchez. He would finally have some weapons to play with...I digress

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I want nothing to do with Gruden or Cowher. Bo Pelini would be a good choice given his background defensively. I would take Pelini or David Shaw from Stanford.

8. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

It is my firm belief that Rex has won over Idzik, now I know we have a group here that will not like that at all. Yet, as much as many hope he is, Rex is not the joke or and idiot that's many would have you believe he is. He actually is a brilliant football mind and has a incredible passion for the game. A rare combination that really goes along with his complete passion for life itself.
    He is on a learning curve as far as being a head coach, but I believe he is getting three. I also believe that both Idizk and Woody recognize these traits in Rex and know he is the right man at the right time.
    Do not be surprised if Rex is extended either during the season or right after the season, irregardless of the wins and losses.

9. boston_jet

boston_jet New Member

+10000000

Rex IS the man for the job. And it's simply a matter of time before he brings the Lombardi Trophy back to NY... in GREEN.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I hope we keep him.

If a successful organization such as the Pittsburgh Steelers can keep a Bill Cowher around as long as they did, no reason not to keep a football mind such as Rex around.

11. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

I'm also in the Rex camp and hope he's extended at some point this year. I, like other posters, think he's the right guy at the right time for us. I'd like to think that this defense, outside of the safety position and the linebacker position depending on how things go with some of the new guys, is pretty damn close to how he wants it so with some offensive focus in the upcoming drafts and free agency periods we could give MM some pieces on his end to make us a truly formidably squad.
    Though as its a possibility Rex is let go after this season I'm looking forward to hearing the names of possible replacements from some of the more knowledgeable posters.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Your sig hahahahaha

13. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

It's interesting to think about. With Rex fired, the only tangible benefit is the circus image being erased from the media's vocab once and for all. However, we lose a great defensive mind and an overall very good coach. The rebuild will take longer than need be

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I wonder what direction we would go in

The thing I would hate is to get a one dimensional HC where I'd prefer a leader of men first and foremost like a Harbaugh, Tomlin, Carroll or a young innovative college coach

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Idzik stuck to his draft board of BPA early, and need later.
    I think the draft stays very similar regardless if a coaching change was made.
    the FA signings may have been different to fill in holes according to new schemes. but not like we had much money anyway, so similar talent just some different names.

the net effect, our offense would still suck this year, and the D would begin a downward spiral as the new coach tries to adjust something that was never broken.

It's my hope that Rex gets extended this year, so we don't continue spinning our wheels.
    I'd like to see what Rex and MM can do once the offensive talent is re-stocked (and hopefully much improved QB play)..

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't even read this, but I clicked on your profile and saw "Send a message to Brandon Moore's Butt" and spent a good while laughing my ass off, so I don't need to know what you think for the next two weeks. You're cool with me for a minute.

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The only way the Jets get Bridgewater is with the first pick in the draft. The Jets are not even close to being the worst team in the NFL. The Jets could win 4 games and not get the first pick. Then what??????? And why are you dismissing Smith already????? And the GM does the drafting,not the coach. The draft would have been exactly the same. And how do you know that the new coach would not have wanted Smith as his QB of the future. Once again, you whiffed.

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I would be severely disappointed.

Rex cares about this team more than most coaches in the past ever have, and he brings about a unique defensive identity that makes it tough to consider parting with him on a more practical level (no matter who steps in, its a step down in philosophy)

I think Woody genuinely wants to see him succeed because of those two factors first and foremost and believes all he needs is the right offensive compliment to make things great. Rex's merits were powerful enough to warrant being held onto under a new regime, its up to him to show that he deserves it and can succeed with the right tools.

It would be a damned shame if somebody with his bravado and genuine pride in his team couldn't produce or wasn't given the chance to do so.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

did you send it a message to watch out, theres head coming

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think for the most part, Sanchez's contract would have kept him on the team no matter who was coach. The money trumps in this case. Idzik most likely would have brought in a Seattle guy as from what we've seen so far, he's very methodical in his decision making and perhaps realizes that personnel isn't his strong suit as offense isn't Rex's.

Hard to say about the draft w/o knowing who the new HC would have been. If things go badly this year, the answer to this question might be evident in this next draft.