Rex Ryan: I’m a lot better coach than I’m given credit for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CJLang, Jun 14, 2013.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Another example of why the biggest loudmouths are the way they are. Insecurity.

I love that he lets everyone know that those who know best will can talk on his behalf because he doesn't have to, then proceeds to talk on hs behalf. Priceless!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-a-lot-better-coach-than-im-given-credit-for/

Jets coach Rex Ryan has taken a lot of criticism as his team has missed the playoffs in the last two years, but he doesn’t believe that criticism is justified.

In fact, Ryan believes that he should be viewed more as the coach who took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons than as the coach who had the Jets out of the playoffs in his next two seasons.

“I’m a hell of a lot better football coach than I’m given credit for,” Ryan told Newsday.

That quote may sound defensive, but Ryan insists that it doesn’t bother him if people don’t give him the credit for being the great football coach he is.

“I don’t care,” Ryan said. “I don’t need the credit. But I can tell you one thing, when it’s said and done, they’ll look back and say, ‘Oh man, this dude can coach his butt off.’ And you know what? It’s true. And I’ll let the people that know best talk on my behalf about the kind of coach I am. I don’t have to brag, even though statistically, I can brag about anything I’ve ever done defensively.”

Ryan is surely right that he can brag about what he’s done defensively: The Jets have played well on defense for all four of his seasons in New York. But Ryan is the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. And head coaches are judged by wins and losses.

So if Ryan is going to get credit for being a good coach, he just needs to win. If he does, he won’t have to talk about what a good coach he is because other people will say it for him.

#1 CJLang, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Well considering the fact that he's seen as a punchline by fans and media, I would agree.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He really needs to shut the fuck up

4. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

He is definitely a good coach on the defensive side of the ball although you have to wonder why he kept starting Eric Smith at safety and Bart Scott at LB after he had nothing left in the tank. He did nothing for the offense and let Schotty and Sparano run what were probably the most predictable vanilla offenses ever.

If he just wanted to be a DC he could have stayed in Baltimore. Maybe now MM will run a good offense without his input.

5. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

good for him. i am no expert but my gut tells me this guy knows his and gives a shit. good enough for me.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree, but he's tried and he can't do it, insecure or egomaniac, should be a great d coordinator not a head coach

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The thing that bothers me about that quote is the part where he talks about how he can brag about anything he's done defensively. It's not what your defenses have done or will do that could get you fired dude. Check out your offensive rankings.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's right. He doesn't get credit because people judge him based on his personality rather than coaching ability. Jets "fans" are prime culprits too. He has a winning record that includes 4 playoff wins on the road against the odds. The issue on this team is not the head coach, it has been talent the last couple years along with Sanchez sucking dick, and poor offensive coordinators. He has one losing season with multiple major injuries and everyone piles on him and blames him. He wasn't the one that committed us to Sanchez, he just recognized that he gave us a better shot to win than Tebow or McElroy and HE WAS RIGHT. People need to put the Rex hate aside, he's going to be our coach for a long time to come.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Talks like a def coodinator

10. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

I like Ryan but he has proven that he has had issues as a head coach. From making guarantees that puts pressure on the team to not knowing what is going on with the offense. Those are not signs of being a great head coach. He is a brilliant defensive mind no doubt but he still has a ways to go before he becomes a great head coach.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Rex, please...put a sock in it.

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

How DARE he have confidence in himself!?!?!? He should just say 'DOWN FOR THE CLOWN'. What he's saying is true. He took the Jets to two AFC title games with Mark fucking Sanchez AND still has a winning record. Only the Harbaugh's and maybe Belichick could do more with Sanchez...

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fuck that! Keep talking Rex!!

I miss the old fat Rex Ryan that went to 2 AFC Championship games. I miss the Rex that made Jets football relevant again. Keep talking big guy!

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's the most cringe-worthy part IMO. HEAD coaches don't brag about their rankings on one side of the ball.

If he wants to have a great defense that he can brag about, I'm sure there's some organization that would be happy to have him as their D-coordinator. But here he's our head coach - coach the TEAM and STFU about your defense.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i would love to have heard the question or conversation that lead to the quotes in the article.half the problem here is the pft's of the world set it up to sound like rex was just spouting off unprovoked.
    context is important here but we are not provided that because it probably doesnt help the agenda

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Visibly asshurt Pats fan.

Everyone talks shit about RR I have no problems with him defending himself... Wonder what the question was.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He is a much better coach than given credit for but he doesn't have to tell us. It sounds like he is preparing for life after us which sucks.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sanchez and Rex, together in Oakland

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The day we fire Rex is the day he gets hired by New England

The story is writing itself

20. Good for Rex. People think he's a loud mouth either way. I'm sick of these tight wad NFL fans/media anyway. "OOOO Rex said he's a great coach..ooooo". You really prefer Mumbles up in New England? The same Press conference over & over again for the last 12 years??

This is football. There are gonna be extreme personalities. Why does anyone want to see a head coach do his best impression of a litigation lawyer?

Keep talking Rex. Screw the rest of the NFL. They're gonna bash you no matter what you do.