Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I think you are one of the most intelligent posters on this board, but you completely whiffed with this post. There is no way in the world the Jets can tell what they have in Smith after this season. That would be true whether he plays 5 or 10 or 15 games. Countless successful NFL QBs have struggled in their first season. And the Jets are not exactly loaded with offensive talent.

Smith is going to take some time to develop. He did not play in a pro style offense in college like Luck or RGIII. While the talent may be there, he is going to have to work on technique and fundamentals.

And who is to say there is a boatload of first round QBs in next year's draft. Besides Bridgewater, I am not sure there are any others. I want nothing to do with Manziel - too small and does not appear to me to have NFL skills. He is closer to Tebow than to RGIII IMO. And who is to say that there is a QB the Jets want or one that is worth drafting when the Jets first round pick comes around?

QBs typically get 3-5 years to show something. Pennington did not even get a start until his third season and all we heard about him was that he was disappointing in camp until he finally got to play in the regular season.

Right now, absent some disaster, Smith is the Jets QB of the future or Sanchez lights it up and realizes his potential. I don't see the Jets taking (wasting) another early pick on a QB when they need skill players and a pass rusher badly.

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

I agree with you on this. We need to give Geno a shot, not just one season tryout. Like you said, all rookie QBs don't have great years, and the Jets have very little proven talent on the roster.

I'm one of the guys that doesn't look at next years QB class and am too impressed. If you start looking at it, QBs are taken in the first round year in and year out. Most of those QBs don't turn out to be good. If they did, no team would need QBs since there are so many taken. Lets say the average span of a QB in the NFL is 10 years. Look back 10 years and I'm sure there has been more than 32 QBs taken in the first round. There is never a sure thing. I'm sure that many people thought that Blaine Gabbert would be a franchise QB.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

How does that translate to start the rookie?

He cant even play from under center yet?

How about, we let him get coached, and develop. Sanchez, is not a backup. and heres a news flash, right now....today..,,neither is Geno.though not for the same reasons.

Geno, is the number 2 QB on the roster mainly because every one else sucks.

(and dont feed me the company line talking points about competition, Smith having a shot etc...unless you are also going to try to sell me a PSL while telling me how lucky I am to have the opportunity to buy it)

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000210097/Dukes-top-5-backup-quarterbacks

(and yes I know Jamie Dukes is a clown... most of its still true though...)

And are you trying to say that on other teams, Geno wouldnt even be the #2? Really? Lets not forget that this is a player that was very much in play for a top 10 pick. I can live with you saying Geno shouldnt start because he still has to learn, but saying he is even lucky to be the #2 QB because everyone else sucks behind him is asinine.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

By 10 starts in you generally know if the guy has what it takes to be your QB. Little flaws that are either correctable or not have popped up and you either think you can fix them or you're in the process of developing workarounds.

The color-coded wrist-strap was a huge tell on Sanchez ability to make fast reads and then his judgment in the pocket. The Jets unfortunately were in the middle of a playoff run so they ignored the tell and went for a workaround.

Most organizations that are going to surrender on a young QB prospect do it pretty quickly. The guys gets his rookie season and then another season and maybe part of a third at the outside. A big part of that equation is what the team garnered from his early exposure as a starter. A QB that makes mistakes loses credibility fairly quickly and predictably if that first season looks really raw as Sanchez 2009 did.

Sometimes an organization has so much invested in the young QB and he shows flashes so often that they just grit their teeth and deal with the flaws. That's the Eli Manning story. It's the Terry Bradshaw story. It's the story of probably another half dozen QB's in NFL history.

Geno Smith is going to have to get the fundamentals down quickly. That said, it is the rule now that a young QB starts early and the exception when he sits.

Next years draft looks to have a half dozen 1st round grade QB's at this point. Generally when that is the case a year out you actually have a bunch of QB's taken early in the next draft. Things may change over the next year but one of the big indicators on QB talent in a draft is how many good teams are returning their QB for his senior season and this year that is a high number.

Again, that was then and this is now. Teams don't wait 2 years to put their guy on the field at this point. They do it quickly and then they spend as many resources as they can to make the thing work. The Falcons put Matt Ryan on the field right away. Joe Flacco, on the field right away. Andy Dalton, on the field right away. The QB's last year, on the field right away.

That's the rule these days.

Ok, so close your eyes and imagine it is 2016. The Jets didn't put Geno Smith on the field right away and they're now in their second season with him starting and not really happy with the results. Mark Sanchez played in 2013 and did just well enough to stay on the field but he was an easy cap cut in 2014 and Idzik did that because he had no investment in him and he wanted the cap room and he had a 2nd round QB that the Jets were kind of high on waiting in the wings.

The 2014 QB draft was the best draft since 1983 and there are 4 1st round QB's currently starting around the NFL and another couple of guys kind of awaiting their shot but haven't got it yet.

And there are no great QB's in the 2016 draft class.

Now that's typical Jets timing.

I think if the Jets can't see Geno Smith as their franchise QB by February next year and another really good QB prospect is sitting in front of them in the 2014 draft they're going to have to bite. It's all about the QB these days and those guys do not grow on trees. When you have one sitting there in front of you and you don't know for sure what else you have it's hold the nose and jump time.

#525 Br4d, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The company line is only to keep Sanchez from pouting even more. He is #2 and everybody knows it come September.

7. TheGreenCantona

That doesn't make sense whatsoever.

I honestly think the best QB will play, nothing else would make sense, and right now it is too early to tell, but it sounds like Sanchez has the edge if anything

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's not that complicated.......if Sanchez is still stinkin it up / doesn't show significant improvement by the bye week*...... Geno gets the nod. At least by then the game may slow down a bit for him, and the O-line hopefully would be more solidified by then....... it'll be a brief audition, but a sample none the less........

*(please no more "no weapons" excuses, you can still see improvement on the field whether or not stats show it)

9. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Hi all,
    Check my post count :) I got a message that w/o a post my account might be deleted so here goes.

I was listening to a blog radio broadcast yesterday and heard that Geno looked HOF ready in 7 on 7's but in 11 on 11's he had happy feet. Commenter also said Geno was not hitting receives in stride etc. So, sadly for us Geno is most likely not going to be game 1 ready. Be prepare for Sanchez, Jets fans.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For those of you losing sleep debating the sanchez/smitty thing, you'd would be much more relevant discussing weather or not Mr. Hill can be taught to catch a fucking football.

Until THAT happens, 90% of the QB debate is mute.

I've seen him. Up close. In person. It ain't pretty.

edit: *whether

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm happy everyone has a conclusion on the QB battle yet training camp hasn't started, neither has played in pre-season action. Hell no one has out pads on yet

12. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Exactly. Everything up to this point has been no contact and in shorts. Lets reserve judgement until the pads come on and people start getting popped out there. I think Geno is gonna come along really well in training camp and have a lot of bright spots this preseason . Hopefully.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. On spending yet another high pick for a QB: Actually, I have no problem with that. Of course there comes that opportunity cost thing, but the fact is that QB is that important a piece in any organization. If Sanchez stinks it up this year, with Geno pulling ho-hum, I don't see why Jets shouldn't invest another high pick on QB. It's not like Geno was hailed as the second coming of Randall Cunningham or Steve Young for crying out loud. He was the best prospect out of a weak QB class - a la Joey Harrington. That does not mean he WILL be the franchise. Never. If he can't get it done, then he should take a hike much like Sanchez.

2. What I find puzzling is, the remark (from David Lee) about Sanchez's drills on fundamentals. Just what the hell was Cav doing with the kid? I sure made that joke long time ago, but Schottenheimer/Cavanaugh tag team literally raped Sanchez. We will see if Sanchez is ruined beyond redemption, (I am still holding a tiny shred of hope) but Sanchez's horrible performance is more indictment of the coaching staff he had (and, of course, this joke of a franchise) than anything else. I did suspect Cavanaugh was a steaming pile of horse shit, but I never expected to hear that a 5-year vet QB was [lacking] fundamentals. Just what the fuck?

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Schotty and Cavanaugh likely borrowed a page from Rex's attitude and felt they were the shit and nothing was going to stand in their way. I mean, they dumped the full range of Schotty's playbook on Sanchez year 1, and rather than tone down the playbook when it was obvious that he was struggling, they instead implement a red light green light system... as you said, just what the fuck?

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

If Geno doesn't start, so be it. Sanchez would start in default, just because they don't want to mess up Geno, not because he's much better.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree wholeheartedly with Bway and Zach on a couple of strong points.

The Jets need to see what Smith has this year, because there is a strong QB draft coming up. And If have no problem spending a 1 on a QB next season (as long as it isn't Manziel).

And if Smith doesn't see significant playing time because Sanchez plays just well enough not to lose the job, the Jets will definitely part ways with Sanchez and well almost be obligated to draft QB first round.

And if they don't, it will be typical Jets timing for drafting QB. Always in the wrong year.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah I agree completely. I never understood why they brought in Sanchez only to surround him with a QB coach with zero experience developing QBs and an OC that over complicated everything and had no prior experience before coming to the Jets. Just a bad combo for a young rookie that only started for a year in college. I still hold hopes that Sanchez can turn it around, but yeah seriously, how is he still learning the fundamentals? That makes no sense. I'm glad those bozos are gone.

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

maybe i'm just ignorant to the whole situation, but how hard is it to switch from catching with the body to catching with the hands? i totally understand that it could take a while, but it's been a year for hill and that's his downfall. i just don't think it should take a year to catch with the hands, like when i play backyard football and the ball is thrown to me i always think to use my hands. hill should be able to do that after a year

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is that really what you take from the debating going on here?

Seems more like you are reading selectively.

Most people are theorizing the scenarios for the QB position, which is far from coming to conclusions.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, Geno would be the number two on most teams based on talent alone.

Ive repeated the brickbat about NFL starters from 2012 that are worse than Sanchez, and...I think Geno is porbably better than all of them as well.

Most of the teams with qbs on my list, actually have legit offensive talent to a degree or another, have drafted talent, and hired guys that coach, you know offense..

Henne,Gabbert whos that Smith guy?

Skelton,Quinn, and the other guy from Arizona, managed to not come within a Zipcode of locating...Larry Fitzgerald?

Fitzpatrick? ...his forte seemed to be beating Mevi$ underneath, and thats about it, and they Had Spiller and Jackson, and Stevie...

On this team, if...for instance Garrard wasnt a cripple, Geno would be he three, at least on opening day.

Most teams will sit a lesser Vet over a talented rookie, because they would go to the Vet, for a week or two, but if the injury is longterm, your probably going to the rookie.

Which is what would have happened if Garrard stayed. Thats all. No Knock on Smith.