Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He got lucky as hell in 2010. He only lost 1 out of 9 fumbles and he lead the league by a ridiculous margin in dropped interceptions.

If he had gotten the normal breaks that year the Jets go 9-7 again.

The comeback wins were skewed because of some of the opponents. The Texans were the worst passing defense in the NFL that year. The Browns lost 5 games on late scores that year and basically rolled over for everybody in the late tight games. The Lions lost 3 games late.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Right. They win. Its a team stat. They lose, its the QB.

They won 8 games in 2011, scoring at least 24 in each win. In 8 games where they scored less than that. They lost.

Gee the defense doesnt figure into that.

Clearly its all the QB. Like the end of the Denver game.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thats because those teams with winning records are most likely teams with high powered offenses that can put points on the board. Even with a top 5 defense, our offense needs to be able to put points on the board in order to win vs good teams. Thats the huge thing I got out of the playoffs this year- unless your team can put up at least 28 points vs a good defense, you are going to have a tough time winning vs quality teams consistently. In all of our playoff wins, our defense has held each team to an average of 18 points. Wins are a team statistic. If you can use wins to defend Sanchez, you have to in the same breath defend Trent Dilfer...

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah he definitely got breaks, it's why he was almost a top 10 QB in the league. The better QBs consistently play at that level, something we haven't seen Sanchez do.

The reason 2010 stands out is because he didn't turn the ball over, and like you said 1 out of 9 lost fumbles when the league is usually at 50% is helpful to that.

But if we are judging 2010 as 2010, we have to acknowledge he played well with the breaks happening. If you look at his 4 years together, the 2010 play stands out as an outlier and probably play he can't replicate. But if we are judging 2010 Sanchez vs 2010 other QBs it's on 2010 only so we don't need to worry about if Sanchez can keep it going, it's just on that year.

That's why, in my opinion, 2011 seemed much more promising to Sanchez's career and future as a Jet even though he turned the ball over more. Although the middle to end of 2011 was disappointing.

5. displacedfan

Why is the Denver game the example everyone uses? Wouldn't the CHI game be a better example? The Denver game we put up 13 points on offense and gave up 10 points on defense. The 3 of those 10 points given up were off a shanked punt where the DEN offense got the ball on the 34 yard line. That's a terrible game to try and act like the defense is more to blame than the offense. The game is 60 minutes long and the offense let the other team hang around for the whole game instead of putting them away. You don't win very many games when your offense nets 6 total points.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good. Giants got lucky several times in their respective post-season runs, now Eli and the Giants are 2 time SB champs

7. Br4d

The problem though is that half his starts in 2010 look pretty bad under the microscope. At least half. After the first quarter of the season Sanchez had 9 TD passes the rest of the year and 13 Interceptions as an example. He had 6 starts out of 15 where he was under 6 YPA. He had only 4 starts where he was over 60% completions. He QB'd 3 losses where the opponent scored 10 points or less.

I mean none of that suggests he was top 20, let alone anywhere near the top 10. In fact he ranked by the numbers 27th and that seems about right given how terrible his numbers actually were that year and how lucky he was that they weren't worse with many more turnovers.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

every QB has dropped INTs, that si such an asinine stat. AGAIN< does he get credit for all the drops from his WRs? how about the 2 bogus INts at GB?
    He had more bad luck than good luck w/ drops and the bogus INTs.

The comebacks wins are skewed? You know Cleveland had just beat new Orleans AND New Engand the 2 previous games, right? They lost ONE game on a late score at jax and not only did mark lead us to the W at Cle he did so after the D blew ANOTHER late game lead.

we had over 70s yds to go in under a minute w/ no TOs needing a TD. I don't care how bad of a pass D a team has, that was an incredible comeback.

so the Lions lost 3 games late? did they give up 10 pt leads 3 times? By the way, det blew ONE 4th qtr lead all year where they led by a whopping FG heading into the 4th qtr and Chi scroed a TD w/ almost 9 mins left. That's the exact same as coming back from 10 down w/ 4 or so mins left.

You make up so much stuff to make him look bad. How about some credit for being as good as he was in 2010?

9. nyjunc

You need to check your math.

10. Br4d

Junc you're really reaching here. I understand that you're dug in deep in the Sanchez trenches but your real issue is that his performance doesn't match your defense of it and that's not likely to change moving forward.

27th ranked QB's are never in the top 10 QB's in a year. I'd embarrass you by asking you on a case-by-case basis whether you'd take Sanchez over guys like Matt Schaub, Jay Cutler, David Garrard and Eli Manning that year but that would just be to embarrass you because nobody knowing what we know about Sanchez now would have taken the 2010 version over those guys.

He had an ok run on a very good team. Then the team went away and he was exposed for what he was. That's just what it is. No amount of squirming by you, taking the stats over the visuals when that suits you and taking the visuals over the stats when that's the ticket is going to change that.

You want to talk a bad QB with playoff success? Then talk about Plunkett or Dilfer or one of the guys who actually got a ring while he was playing badly.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

You lose any credibility bringing up that Denver game. Yes, the defense blew it in the end, but Sanchez did also hand Denver 7, while the defense held Denver's offense to a total of 229 (including 104 passing yards). Sanchez couldnt put points on the board... and we lost. The defense played great up until that last drive, but did their part to put the team in a position to win- only giving up 3 points until that last drive. What more could you ask for?

Hey man, I didnt decide that the QB position was the most important position in all of sports and I did not choose for it to have as much of an impact on games as it does.

vs Dal, 20 points by O.
    vs Jax, 30 points by O (but Cro returned Int to 1 yard line).
    vs Mia, 17 points by O.
    vs SD, 27 points by O.
    vs Buf, 27 scored by O (Jets D forced fumble at 21, which the O had to only travel 21 yards 7).
    vs Buf, 28 scored by O.
    vs Wash, 34 scored by O (10 points by O where they traveled less than 10 yards for each due to turnover forced by D).
    vs KC, 35 scored by O.

you can read that however you want, although its not very convincing.

12. nyjunc

Am I the one making things up to diminish what he did in 2010?

Mark was absolutely better than those guys that year w/ the possible exception of Cutler. Eli threw TWENTY FIVE INTs, in the biggest game of the year( a week 16 game at GB which was essentially for a WC berth) he threw FOUR. It's nice that he had some meaningless stats to bring his rating up but he cost the giants a postseason berth.

What does what we know now have to do w/ evaluating 2010 by itself and last I checked none of those QBs were relying on Chaz Schilens as a starter and Jeremy kerley as a #1 WR.

13. displacedfan

Hmm I'll have to take another look at how Sanchez did vs other QBs in 2010. I want to say a lot of QBs couldn't play 15-16 games that year which also helped Sanchez go up rankings wise. Like Romo played 6, Smith 10, Vick 11, Fitzpatrick 13, Big Ben 12. I don't think 11-15 best QB in 2010 was unreasonable but I will double check

14. feldspar

feldspar Member

They have stats for everything these days. Dropped INTs are one category, and dropped passes are another. Neither are completely meaningless. And of course, all QBs have INTs that weren't their fault, don't they?

Santonio Holmes had WAY more to do with about 4 of those comebacks than Sanchez did. Throwing a short pass and allowing the man to go work means something, but it doesn't mean he gets the majority of the credit.

Name all of the comeback wins in 2010.

15. Br4d

It's not 2010 alone. It's 2011 with Sanchez throwing interceptions to defensive tackles by the end of the year and 2012 with Sanchez just looking terrible for most of the year. Oh, and the fact that his 2009 looks really bad also compared to most of the rookie QB's who have started lately.

The color-coded wrist-strap was a dead giveaway: we have an idiot here who does not know when he has to throw the ball away and when he has to absolutely avoid throwing the ball up into heavy coverage because we're going to lose if he gets picked again.

What kind of QB requires a color-coded wrist-strap to tell him what any intelligent QB has known since high school?

16. displacedfan

Let's say a QB needs to play 12 games to be eligible for my 2010 ranking, so 75% of the season:

Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers played better than Sanchez.
    Schaubb, Ryan, Rivers, Flacco, Big Ben played better than Sanchez.
    Matt Cassell, Josh Freeman played better than Sanchez.

Garrard, Eli, Cutler, Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, are in the next grouping. That puts Sanchez at best 12, at worst 16 in my rankings. Mike Vick could be in that last group I stated but he only played 11 games.

Here's 2010: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/passing.htm

Overall the Jets had the 13th overall offense (pts), 22nd overall passing offense (yds), 4th best rushing offense (yds), 3rd best return units, 2nd best kicking unit, via http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/

The real key is Sanchez avoided INTs which he has struggled doing his other 3 years in the league. His INT% was 15th best in the league where as in 2009 he was 30th, 25th in 2011, 31st in 2012. INT% meaning # of INTs per attempt times by 100. Lowest INT% being #1

#10156 displacedfan, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  17. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

At Denver where he threw two picks, one of which when we were in FG range. We basically got bailed out on a pass interference call at the end.

At Detroit where Detroit all but gave us the game. Sanchez did get us in FG range to tie it and won in OT so I give him credit for that but we never would have had the opportunity if not for a defensive tackle attempting extra points and Detroit committing stupid personal fouls and passing on 3rd down instead of running clock.

Houston. This is the one comeback that Mark really deserves all the credit for.

The last one was at Indy in the playoffs where he didn't play well all game and got a great kick return and threw it up for Edwards.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I hope there's room on that wristband for his receivers names.

According to this scathing report, Sanchez can't remember their names!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dayYZ?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=new-york-jets

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The messed up thing is that the color-coded idiot band didn't even work!!

20. nyjunc

I saw every pass in 2010, he didn't have a high # of dropped INTs, there were a bunch where Defenders were diving or DL got their hands on balls but nothing crazy.

I suppose Santonio was throwing the ball to himself and that was a heck of a play by santonio to throw it deep down the sideline to Bray;on to set up the GW TD vs. Houston.

The only short throw that Holmes took long was the Cle OT rec which was a pass late in OT that would have set them up in FG range for the win.

Denver
    Houston
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Indy playoffs

when judging the 2010 season we judge the 2010 season alone not 2011. Go back in time to 2010 when we didn't have 2011 and 2012 to dwell on.

The color coded thing was his rookie year. You think Mark was the first QB to have a color coded playsheet?

No issue w/ the top line.

Schaub did it in garbage time
    Rivers had the #1 ranked defense and couldn't make the playoffs in a weak division
    Flacco was similar to Mark.

Cassell played in a weak division beating bad teams, we saw what happened HOSTING a WC playoff game. 0 TDs, 3 INTs. The same # of INTs Sanchez had in 6 ROAD playoff games.

Freeman played w/ no pressure and his team was never in the race. He had pressure in 2011 and was brutal, when they got into the race somewhat in 2012 he flopped again. #s in meaningless games mean nothing to me.

Garrard played in meaningless games
    Eli had TWENTY FIVE INTs, there's no way you can put him above Sanchez when Sanchez was pulling out games late while Eli was throwing 2 INTs a week.
    Cutler was on the same level
    Fitzpatrick???? what?????

how did we get the PI? Mark made a play w/ his legs on 4th down and gave his WR a chance to make a play.

Threw it up for Edwards w/ a PERFECT pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.