Jets UDFA signings

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 27, 2013.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I only watched a few of his plays but every single time he catches the ball he has a few steps on the defender. Hopefully this guy turns out to be something.

2. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Zach Rodgers was over looked, kid has speed smarts, and most of all catches with his hands. He will be productive.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

LOL
    I gotta ask... as opposed to what exactly?

4. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

A lot of receivers catch the ball against their chest. The good ones just use their hands, and then bring the all in.

5. BroadwayGeno

BroadwayGeno Member

Stephen Hill=catches with chest

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Just an intial feel on our UDFA, bearing in mind that normally one maybe two UDFA's even make a teams practice squad. But I feel for the Jets this year will be a little different. Not so much because of the quality of the UDFA, though I think you could make a good argument a good portion of this year's UDFA class of players NFL wide is probably comparable in talent to most years 6th or 7th round picks. But never the less the odds of more than 3 or 4 players on most teams making even the Practice squad is fairly slim.

But I also feel that for a team as full of holes as the Jets are, not to mention a very limited cap situation, this year there is a prime chance for some of these players to make the initial 53 man roster, if nothing else as special teams players.
    So I thought why not give an initial impression of who I thought had the best chances of making the 53 man roster in one form or another. Not saying they WILL, just who I think has the best chance and why.

Zach rogers WR Of all the players I think he's almost a lock for at least the PS and has probably the best chance of making the roster. Other have discussed him in depth so I won't. But it should be pretty clear why he's the most probable of the signee's.

Troy Davis OLB I think is the next most likely to possibly make the 53, but initially as a special teams player and OLB depth. I know he's listed as a DE, but he really fits more as a 3-4 OLB. at 6-2 251 he posted a 4.65 40 time at UCF's pro day. He's raw and there are questions about his compitition level, but he drew a lot of attention for his pass rush abilities. His speed, and the lack of speed of the jets LB's in general, I feel increase his odds of making the team as LB depth and as a special teams player. he's also interesting as a possible developmental pass rush OLB down the road.

rontz Miles FS- Miles is the last player I feel has a high probability of making the 53 man roster as a special teams player and special teams and Safety depth, In most years I'd probably say Miles and Davis would more likely be Practice squad players, but the jets are thin on both speed and depth at both the LB and Safety positions and the special teams could really use the speed of both players. Miles has been discussed in depth by others so I won't say more here, but I think these three are probably the most likely to make the roster, but as always it's more likely they'll be on the PS.

Mike Edwards CB - The next few really kind of are bunched together. as their likely hood to make either the team or the PS, this group overall I think is less likely than the above players to make the 53 man. If Edwards were a little taller or a little heavier, he's 5'9 185 with a 4.5 40. He does have good ball skills, but he's too small to transition to safety and Corner is not a position the Jets lack depth at. If he makes the team he is a good kick/punt return man, but I doubt the Jets carry a man just to return kicks. Though if he can add about 15 pounds of muscle to his frame he could potentially shift to Safety down the road.

Ryan Spadola WR- Spadola is interesting, if I could find more info on him and film I might put him in the first group of players, but I couldn't find enough to really decide right now. He's got good size at 6'1 204, he's fast with a 4.40 40 time. But I don't know enough about his hands and his route running. he could move up in to the 1st group given the WR depth of the Jets and Spadola's size and speed might make him an interesting option for K/P returns and other special teams duty as well as WR depth. But until I can find more on him he stays in my second group.

Mike Shanahan TE- I thought about putting Shanahan in the first group of players, but just couldn't quite pull the trigger there. Given the jets lack of depth at the TE position if shanahan has a good camp he could very well crack the depth chart at TE. He does catch with hands and does have the makings of a possession receiving TE. But he's not especially fleet footed, but is a good route runner. The Jets sorely need a solid option at TE and Shanahan has a good chance to carve a space for himself in camp.

Antavious Wilson WR-Is the first of the last group IMHO, guys who really have their work cut out for them if they want to make even the PS and have the longest shot at making the 53 man. Wilson doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but he does a lot of things fairly well. Most scouting sites don't even have anything on him. He's not really big enough for special teams, and doesn't really stand out in most regards so he's got his work cut out for him.

Trey Gilleo OL
    Mike Popek OG--These two I'm kind of covering together, Gilleo and Popek I don't know a lot about, but what I've found is that the only way either of them make the roster is injury to one or more OL players or someone getting cut. I think Gilleo ranks a little bit better due to flexibility as he does still project as a potential RT in the NFL, but more likely will be an inside player. Popek pretty much ranks a OG in the NFL, or possible Center. odds of either making the roster are next to nil but both have a good shot at the PS.

Chris Pantala TE- I really don't know where to put Pantala, and most years I'd say 100% TC fodder, maybe Practice squad. But he's very much a traditional TE who blocks well, and that may be something that makes him attractive to the ground and pound Ryan. He can also catch. One blurb i read regarding him is that at Boston college if your a TE and you can't block well you don't get on the field. He's not a flashy pass catcher, but he can catch the ball and at 6'7 he's a big target that would be a mismatch for most LB's or Safetys. That alone might make him an option for the team as a endzone target and special teams player IF he does very well in camp. He's a wild card.

Roosevelt Holliday DT
    Jake McDonough DT
    Spencer Nealy DT--These three players have an uphill battle to even get out of camp. the Jets have A LOT of D-line depth and for any of them to even make the PS they'll have to really stand out in camp. Jake probably has the best shot of the 3 as he's a very physical DT and if I remember the other two are undersized and still not very quick either.

just my opinions, not that my opinions matter.

7. abfjet

abfjet New Member

mark popek

Mark Popek will turn a few heads. This guy was a starter here at usf at tac kle for three years before hi coach moved him to guard 5 days before the season started.He is a leader on the offensive line.having watched him since high school he will find a home.He started four years at right tackleand then 3 at left in college.mark is very smart earning 2 college degrees and scoring 28 out of 32 on the nfl wonderlic test. Maybe his biggest strength is his size and or stamina.Mark stand 6'7" and weighs 320 with 18% body fat. He could easily go to 335 and plat RT. On draft morning he ran 5 miles and knocked out 500 pushups of nervous energy waiting for his phone call.not a bad feat here in Tampa where it WS 95 degrees.He is excited to be a NY Jet.Not trying to took his horn but I have known he for many years and he will be a fine addition to your squad.

8. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Very cool to hear, even with the draftees at Oline, you will find most Jets fans very eager to see someone undrafted make it big. Maybe he will show enough and earn a spot on the practice squad at the very least.

Now you have to come clean, are you family member or personal friend?

9. jago

jago Active Member

yes read a blurb on him and was intrigued. got some positives there.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Lets expand this...
    Hill catches with chest
    Sanchez throws with ass
    Greene runs with head. :lol:

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Lets wish him the very best....thanks

12. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Regarding Jake McDonough :

McDonough: Equal Parts Perspiration, Inspiration
    Posted by Randy Lange on June 6, 2013 – 11:03 am

Two things can be said right off the bat about Jets DE Jake McDonough. He does his homework. And he takes inspiration wherever he finds it.

Both of those traits come together when the rookie free agent from Iowa State talks channels Mike DeVito just a little bit.

“Coming in here, I knew who wore No. 70 before I did,” McDonough told me this week. “I obviously checked into it. I know how Mike came in here as an undrafted rookie, just like me, and now he’s in Kansas City making a lot of money.

“For me, coming in as a free agent, Mike’s story inspired me. Maybe I can follow in his footsteps.”

The connection with DeVito was solidified during some video review in a defensive meeting after an OTA practice.

“I had made a play or something, and Rex said, ‘Attaboy, DeVito.’ “

Head coach Rex Ryan admitted to the flashback.

“This young man, I like him. He’s tough. He competes,” Ryan said recently. “You recognized the size, the length of the kid — he certainly looks the part.”

McDonough’s length is 6’5″. His weight, he wants any fan who checked out his ISU bio, is not 280, hasn’t been in a while, but is closer to 305-310. But that’s a good thing for how he’s being used these days.

“I was a noseguard in college. Now I’m a defensive end,” he said. “I’m playing a whole new position — and I’m loving it. Learning from Mo [Muhammad Wilkerson, of course] he’s a heck of a guy to learn from. Especially watching film of him and seeing how he does things inspires me to perfect my craft.”

McDonough did a fine job at his craft with the Cyclones. He didn’t miss a game his last three seasons, and after last season he was named Iowa State’s Defensive Lineman of the Year and was a first-teamer on the Big 12 coaches’ all-conference team.

Even more inspiration these days comes from DL coach Karl Dunbar, assisted by Jeff Weeks. Dunbar’s unit is starting to round into the kind of impact group he was known for when he coached with the Vikings.

“Karl’s the best D-line coach in the league, in my opinion,” Ryan said. “And I think you’re seeing all our linemen starting to take off under Karl’s tutelage.”

Needless to say, there won’t be a lot of loose spots on the 53-man roster come Sept. 8. But depending on how Quinton Coples is classified (DE or LB?) and where first-rounder Sheldon Richardson lines up, there could be a spot behind Wilkerson.

“If he doesn’t make the team,” said Ryan, “it’s not because of his work ethic or anything else. He’s a hard-playing kid.”

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good story. if he makes a spot on the dline he is definitely a player. there are not alot of spots open there.
    mo
    richardson
    ellis
    snacks
    garay
    these guys are pretty much locks.
    not sure how many we will carry after that

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Just hearing the name Wes Welker mentioned in the same context has me intrigued.

_

15. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Figure that they will all be asked to move around, but with that said:

NT: Ellis, Snacks (Richardson & Garay)

DE/DT: Wilkerson, Richardson, Garay (Ellis)

Obviously Coples also factors in there as well, but if he is splitting time at OLB, seems like there could be one more spot open in the DL rotation.

16. Seems like there could be one more spot open for a 5 technique DE type.

Call me crazy but I think Snacks could give Ellis a run for his money at NT. He just fills up so much space & gets great initial push. That isn't a slight on Ellis he just isn't quite as good at anchoring/filling & does better in 3 technique situations. He might make more sense as a DE under certain circumstances

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ellis is an unknown at this point. He hasn't been on the field enough in his first two years to make a clear impression. This is the year. He either steps forward and plays a lot or he's going to fall victim to N-F-L in a hurry.

He's played in 17 NFL games without a sack or a forced fumble. What that tells us is that his impact in the NFL may well be zero. This is the year to prove himself.

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

there are a LOT of unknowns at this point. ok so wilkerson looks to be a player and hopefully will continue to improve.

the rest of them... coples, well he is an olb who didnt do a ton last year.
    ellis has done next to nothing in his short career
    garay... who
    richardson... we can want him to be good but time will tell.
    a guy named snacks... cut but doesnt mean he is good

demario davis... he hasnt set the world on fire thus far. he could barely get on the field last year
    david harris solid, but slow and beginning to age
    mauga?
    sapp
    garrett mcintyre
    pace?

i get it we have some nice yougn pieces that could eventually be really good in the front 7 but lets not get ahead of ourselves, these guys are not stars at this point and have alot to prove.

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i really think quinton will be a star. watching him last year i feel like although he got a lot of pressure up the middle, he got most of his sacks playing the rush linebacker position.

im more excited to watching sheldon richardson play than all these other boys, including geno smith. watching his college tape is just crazy, he's that athletic. i got high hopes for him

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

coples absolutely has potential. i am a little worried about them screwing up his mind moving him around too much instead of giving him a task and let him get to the qb.

i hope he can take the next step this year.