Is Rex Ryan's defense too tough for our offense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Jun 5, 2013.

1. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

Just to put another angle on this, if a Jets defense is too complicated for a QB to train against, then how come Geno Smith went 8 for 9 in OTA's the other day? It would have been 9 for 9 except a WR dropped one. So he hit his target nine times straight, it doesn't seem like he was too confused, and he's a rookie, after all (and considered a "raw" one, at that).

Thing is, once you have a good QB, threads like this just sort of magically disappear. That doesn't mean Geno is the man, but he's got a shot of it, and even if he fails, it doesn't mean his lack of development is due to the Jets defense. Just throw the ball, son. That's all we ask around here.

2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

nope, you asked if our offense has trouble with our defense. Our offense has trouble with every defense in the league. What is the common denominator? Hobbes expressed a point, and I expressed a point on that.

Our defense should make any QB under center at practice better but that has not been the case in actual games.

Rex said our QB won the job by how he practiced, well whom did he practice against?

Cliff note version: Mark Sanchez will soon be out of a job because of his performance on the field not my opinion of his play. The QB drives the offense.

3. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

It's not like Rex is changing the rules of the game. There are players in coverage there are players rushing. The QB's job is to decipher who is who at the snap of the ball. The better they are at that, the better they can adjust the read to accomodate.

Additionally If you're trying to have an open QB competition you throw them into the fire and see who comes out on top. You don't dumb down the defense in OTAs so the offense can catch up. I want our defense ( particularly our front 7 ) flying around the field come Sept. As people have stated when we get into the season the practices are more garnered towards the opponent. If i remember right it's basically only 1 day a week where they have actual "practice" that would contain 1s vs 1s.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I find it extremely short sighted when people assume that our offensive woes have begun and ended at the QB position over the past 4 years. Just because Sanchez blows, and surely he does, does not mean that he was provided a good environment to develop in. Just because Sanchez repeatedly throws retarded interceptions to defensive linemen and that's obviously his fault doesn't mean that practicing against our defense didn't hurt the situation.

So Geno went 8 for 9 in one OTA. Great. All we heard before that (and this is the first I heard of it btw) was that he was really struggling. That also does not mean that practicing against our defense isn't a detriment to the offense. It's such a miniscule, weak argument I'm shocked someone would try and use it.

I could certainly be wrong but IMO there's a strong possibility that spending the majority of the practice time (OTA's, training camp, preseason) practicing against a unique defense that is rarely going to be seen in games could be a detriment to the offense doing well.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Geno stomps our defense for the rest of OTA's, training camp and preseason and then does the same to the Bucs defense in week 1.

5. Rex has mentioned this topic at virtually every PC he has done thus far this offeason. He thinks that all NFL defenses are complex & therefore he refuses to dumb down his D for the offense's learning curve.

Personally I think alot of it is ego. He doesn't want HIS defense to surrender an inch. The ironic thing is, his future w/ this team depends on the unit he shuns the most. He sinks or swims w/ the offense.

6. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

Definitely, there are other weaknesses in the offense, especially last year. Things might be better with the OL this year but we've got a long way to go. But QB is still the most important position, and even with a weak receiving corps, a good QB can still put up numbers.

All I'm saying is that, on some level, it is possible for a QB to play well against the Jets defense. The Jets were ranked 8th last year against the pass, which is good but not great. There must be QB's out there who can do it, but we don't have them.

In other words, let's not confuse cause and effect.

No one knows what Geno will bring, and we are all forced to be believers in a certain sense because the Jets invested in him. My guess is that it will be a questionable pick and would rather have gotten Warford at that spot, but we all have to hope for the best.