Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Training camp hasn't even started yet and all Rex said is that it's too early to pick a QB. People really read too much into this stuff. Cimini with another non story about the Jets. Any surprise?

2. feldspar

feldspar Member

Exactly. This thread has been a circle-jerk for quite some time, with the main instigators actively ignoring a great deal of the opposition's content when it suits them...perhaps even unintentionally...so then the opposition repeats it or rephrases it, hoping it will sink in this time. Then it happens again, again, and again. Meanwhile, the Sanchez-heads also talk in circles, claiming others "don't get it." Why they feel it's important enough to post hundreds if not thousands of times saying the same things to convince other people that their point of view is the correct one is beyond me. This is not a case of the last man standing "wins."

It's obvious that nobody is ever going to say anything to change the other guy's mind on the subject.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. It all boils down to the fact that most people do not think that Sanchez is a good, solid, and reliable quarterback, nor has he ever been really. His recent downward spiral is the last straw to them, not the deciding factor. Certain people cannot seem to live with that popular opinion, and that's THEIR problem. We've all seen the games, and this is not rocket science. It's actually a pretty simple game, football is...difficult, but simple. Everyone is rooting for the same outcome

I think that certain people were too "wowed" by the Jets' brief period of success and give Sanchez too much credit for it. They hang their hat on a limited amount of fleeting moments and think that Sanchez could be "that guy." Well, he isn't "that guy" in my opinion, nor can he ever be. There are no magical qualities involved. You look at overall play over time, and most people don't see Sanchez having the necessary qualities to lead the team into the future. Talk about this play or that, and it doesn't matter...nobody's mind is changed.

Football is the ultimate team sport. If he even starts the year, Sanchez will not last the year at starting QB unless he not only plays exceptionally well, but the team is winning games and are in the hunt...or if there are humungous problems with Geno in some way. Sanchez is on the hotseat in the biggest way right now. That's where it stands, and nothing anyone can say will change that. It's all on Sanchez now and should be. He's just a guy doing the best that he can, but that's not good enough IMO.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hahaha, great point. I guess they just need to talk about something right now.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Wow, good job following up on the point.

This is really interesting because some of the younger QBs that have wowed everyone started from day 1. Usually they aren't supposed to be able to do this as a rookie QB who hasn't played an NFL game let alone season before.

It's also interesting to compare the 04 draft strategy vs the 12 draft strategy. Eli, Rivers, Big Ben all were scheduled to sit as a rookie and not be rushed into the job, just waiting until the team thought it was a good time to throw them in. Big Ben was rushed, but they were able to wait on Eli and Rivers. But come to 2012, Luck, RGIII, and Wilson and I guess Tannehill all start from day 1 as the QB.

Maybe QBs are just getting better, or college is getting better and better preparing them. It also probably helps that the game is being influenced to help the QB and WRs and the passing game in the NFL. It's just amazing to think the days of throwing a rookie out there and letting them battle aren't the norm. The norm seems to be have the kid start from day 1 and see what he can do.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The object, is to get the most out of Sanchez. ...Rex can afford him no level of comfort here. In fact it has to go the other way.....they need to get every last ounce of their investment out of him.

The simple fact is, today ....right now...Sanchez has to fall on his face, or Smith has to be far superior to be inder center.

The schedule, is going to dictate a large part of that.

Sanchez, as a known quantity is better than 3 of the first 4 QBs we will face, and can win in Foxboro.

Week 2, is a huge game.....the odds of the staff going with a rookie...meh...

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow..you really do keep making it up as you go. The better QB will play, it's simple. Ryan wants to keep his job and won't play Sanchez for the three remaining fans in all of Jetland that want him unless he is the better QB.

#10086 Don, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Perfect summation that would never have seen the light of day if this thread was locked.

The bad news for Sanchez is he's got no one to throw to.

They's all hurt.

Kinda tough to impress the coaches in that scenario.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you guys have ignored a great deal of our content and logic b/c mark isn't highly rated. To the average fan it's all about fantasy #s, why bother to look at the facts and see the circumstances he had to deal with? his QB rating was low so he's the worst ever and has no chance to succeed again!

some QBs throughout history that you guys would have given up on:

Unitas
    Eli
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Gannon
    Plunkett
    Young
    Flacco
    Bradshaw
    Aikman
    Favre
    Brees
    Warner

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

/thread :eek:fftopic:

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree for the beginning of the season, yes.

However an organization doesn't just draft a Geno Smith where they did without at least wanting to work him in, Thereby, if it's close, I think they'll give it to Geno. Also, once the season starts and they start losing/winning games, all bets are off.

Here's an interesting, albeit unlikely, scenario to consider:

What if Mark Sanchez outperforms Geno Smith in training camp and is named the starter. Then the season starts and Mark Sanchez plays well, but the Jets aren't winning games. At what point do they switch to Geno? What if they are 2-5, Sanchez is having his best year yet - I'm talking mid-level QB, not pro-bowl level, but they are still 2-5, 2-6...

Do they switch to Geno, in the name of the team needing a change, giving the rook a shot? I bet you they do...

(note*** the above scenario is very unlikely. Unlikely that Mark Sanchez will actually play that well, and unlikely that if he actually does, they will lose games.. but it still possible and interesting to think about)

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Agreed...kind of.

Some of those qbs showed more than Sancho and were still demonized by fans and press.

But you know what they say...winning cures everything.

I'm still waiting for Sanchez to own the position.
    He had it handed to him on a silver platter.

Now he's got to earn it by beating out a rookie. If he can't manage that, then maybe he doesn't deserve the job.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

at no point have I said he will be good again or that he deserves his job back, he has to earn it back and he'll have a chance to prove it on the field. Will he be a turnaround story like some of those guys I mentioned or will he flame out like so many others? we'll see.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Maybe we won't get a chance to see.
    Maybe we will.

How many on your list did the "Phoenix" with the same team?
    Gannon, Plunkett, Young and Brees?

How many had as much success early on?

14. Don

I agree with some on this list but why would anybody have given up on Unitas, Brady, Rodgers, Young, Bradshaw, Aikman or Warner who were all good the minute they got their chance? In those days you had to wait in line. Today you start the minute you get drafted if you have the talent. Well maybe not so much for Aikman and Bradshaw but soon enough. Certainly a lot less than 4 years.

#10094 Don, Jun 6, 2013
  15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Steve Young? Ummm Don, he got his chance in tampon Bay...after playing in the USFL. And, they gave up on him

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

There's differences between giving up, low expectations, holding the team back, and indifferent on. Flacco was never given up on, Eli was closer, Brady no. Rodgers no. Low expectations maybe, but not given up on. Rodgers, really?

The QBs I didn't mention were before my time in remembering football. But the key with Brady, Flacco, and Rodgers are that they rarely turn the ball over. That's why Eli and now Sanchez are closer to the "given up" or "fans are really fed up on them" vs the other 3 who had lower expectations. Turnovers are the key. It's not hard to figure out that fans and coaches see more in a QB who can protect the ball even if they aren't playing well.

Brees was coming off injuries so that's a very different scenario than the rest. I think you have to take him out.

A lot of people here are looking at circumstances. That's why this thread has been circles for so long with people looking at specific plays, that's how in circumstance this thread has gotten.

#10096 displacedfan, Jun 6, 2013
  17. Don

I guess I forgot that. I was only thinking of him waiting for Montana to move on.

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

That or the continued evolution of the games passing rules and what defenders can no longer do that they could still do in 2004. It's simplified the passing game a lot.

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Dude your really reaching now.
    Johnny Unitas doesn't even remotely belong on this list, year two starter who led the league in passing in his 1st full season as a starter, his second year in the league. As well as leading the league in passing TD's in each of his first 4 seasons as the starter, that's 4 out of his first 5 years.
    Not even a close comparison there son.

Manning is also a poor comparison, Manning from the time he became the starter in his second season has never thrown fewer than 21 TD's, and never less than 3200 yards or so. Yes he has a lower completion percentage similar to sanchez and he turns the ball over on picks too often, but he's more of a bomber than Sanchez and creates big plays. You can live with low completion percentage if your making big plays to counter that.

Brady's on your list? REALLY? man talk about trying to be desperate and hoping no one ever double checks anything. He sat behind a Superbowl QB his rookie year, But when he took the field he never lost the position. Except for his first year as a starter and the year he was injured he's NEVER 23 TD's, NEVER thrown for fewer than 3500 yards, NEVER completed less than 60% of his passes and NEVER thrown more than 14 Int's. You know, basically Sanchez's best mark is Brady's worst.

Oh this list is a godsend, its shooting fish in a barrel.

And now we get even more laughable, as if that were even remotely possible.
    Aaron Rodgers is on your list...ummm, dude not even close. He didnt' start for his first 3 seasons, but that had a lot more to do with the fact that future hall of fame QB Brett Favre was the QB ahead of him than him being lowly viewed.
    From the first time had more than 20 attempts in a season he's NEVER completed less than 63% of his passes, NEVER thrown fewer than 28 TD's, NEVER thrown more than 13 Picks, and only twice more than 10. and only once been under 4,000 yards passing, that was 3,922 yards. Sanchez doesn't even belong in the same breath.

Rich Gannon is the first guy you've mentioned that possibly compares....he didn't hit stride till he was 34 years old an on his 4th team. I'm personally not willing to wait 7 more years to see if Sanchez figures it all out.

I don't know why you have Plunkett on your list at all. Guy was a horrible QB that had one decent season at age 36 and spent most of the last half of his career as a journeyman backup QB. Setting the bar awfully low here aren't you Dude?

Flacco, again not even close to Sanchez. Flacco has been at, or very very close to 60% completions in all but one season, NEVER thrown more than 12 picks, NEVER since his rookie season thrown fewer than 20 TD's, NEVER thrown less than 3600 yards after his rookie season. and for his career averages 7.1 yards per attempt, no comparison at all here...except someone desperately reaching for straws.

Now Bradshaw might be your on and only true argument on this list., but he played almost his entire career before the passing rules changes...and when you look at the numbers compared to his peers he was about an average QB for the period.

Sanchez on the other hand has NEVER been average among his peers.

And don't even get me started on Favre, who in his second year in the league, first as a starter had a better year than ANY of Sanchez's seasons as a whole. And not to mention that most of the guys your talking about had cannons for arms.

And Warner? How the fuck does he belong on this list?
    He chose to play Canadian football..so there's no way you can compare how he would have fared, you can only look at his first year in the NFL...65% 41 TD's yadda yadda yadda...he wasn't a true rookie, but we have no idea how he would have played in the NFL had he not played in Canada.
    Weak argument at best.

Dude, there are a couple more QB's on your list Breeze we've covered before and you know he doesn't even compare here.

and if your expectations are set as low for Sanchez as him being a Plunkett, Gannon then I understand your man love for Sanchez, you have very low expectations.

But having seen your list of "late bloomers" who people would have given up on...I can only laugh, a lot and hard.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

/Thread

Seriously, that shuts down about 90% of the pro-Sanchez argument. Great posts and they are fact. I cant even add more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.