Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't see any other explanation for the long drawn-out Sanchez crash. Obviously Tannenbaum had a lot of skin in that game also but Rex basically didn't get angry with Sanchez until the bitter end last year and that was about a year late.

Parcells or Coughlin would have been glaring at Sanchez after every pick from late 2011 onwards. We've seen Rex get marginally hostile towards Quinton Coples now and then but it took a long time for that to happen with Sanchez, much too long.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That doesn't mean Rex is making things up and believing them just because he said so. It's not like he sung the praises of Sanchez last year. He defended him as the starter and best QB on the team. That's not exactly saying he's great, considering who the other QBs were. I still think Sanchez is salvageable, but no doubt he's on a much thinner rope this year. Plus, you're right, it's also Tanny that led to Rex's "loyalty" because he knew that Sanchez was guaranteed for 2012 and 2013. When you know you're going to be stuck with him for better or worse, it makes sense to play him and try to get him as many snaps as possible to improve his game and break out of the funk.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I also think there has always been more to the Sanchez thing than what Rex says. How do you bench him when your idiot boss just gave him a billion dollar raise without putting your job on the line? The last two years he had to defend a lot of shitty decisions by Tannenbaum.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

...and then there's that tattoo thing.

Probably the silliest off-field thing an NFL coach ever did.

He could have left some tickets for Elvis at the box office and called it a day.

5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'm not exactly defending the tattoo because i thought it was stupid, but i can understand wheres he coming from with it. mark sanchez brought him to back2back AFC championship games in their first two seasons. i'm willing to bet those were the best 2 years of rex's life and he seriously believed they were going to go to the promise land and start a dynasty with mark.

sadly that didnt happen

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i would expect an nfl head coach to see the writing on the wall before i did. that is what scares me about rex. he really looked at sanchez at some point and was sure that he was great and would be tied together with him. i just cant fathom how an nfl head coach could do that, or be so wrong.

7. I think this is more of an offense/defense thing than anything else. Rex is all about defense. Anything the offense does is ho hum...Until his job is put into question. He better learn soon or he is out the door.

8. Br4d

Do you guys think Sanchez has thought even once in his career "if I don't stop throwing picks I'm going to lose my job so I need to not throw picks at all costs"?

I don't.

9. I don't either. He shows no emotion or urgency at any point in time. Sometimes that can be a good thing...but when he ended the disastrous butt fumble post game PC with "Happy Thanksgiving" it was eye opening.

10. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Since it's a boring part of the season for ota news, and the fact I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, figure I'll post the following.

As much as we knock the jets drafts this years team could have as many as 11 or 12 starters that were drafted in the 2013,2012, and 2011 drafts.

2011 Muhammad Wilkerson Definite starter
    2011 Kenrick Ellis probable starter
    2011 Jeremy Kerley Probable starter
    (technically you could Consider Cromartie since the 2nd round pick was traded for him, but I'm not counting Cro)
    2012 Coples Definite starter
    2012 Stephen Hill Starter
    2012 Demario Davis Starter
    2012 Josh Bush/Antonio Allen one or the other is a likely starter.
    2013 Milliner Probable Starter
    2013 Richardson Probable starter
    2013 Geno Smith Possible Starter
    2013 Brian Winters possible starter
    2013 Oday Aboushi, remote chance to be an opening day starter.
    2013 Bohanan possible opening day FB.

All in all that's not too bad for 3 drafts, although it may also speak as to how thin the starting roster is.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Half of those probables come from this past draft.

So while it could be good drafting, it's also a combination of a thin roster. It's a good post to show how our team is getting younger.

12. Br4d

While it's not clear that a lot of the young talent actually has talent it's crystal clear that the older guys with more downside have been trimmed for the most part.

This is rebuilding at work. Start in the middle of the field and near the line of scrimmage and work out from there. Get rid of the guys who either didn't work out or are aging out and let younger guys try to claim the jobs.

It may not look great at the moment with the noise surrounding issues like Garrard and Goodson but the Jets have taken a big step in moving forward this past off-season. They're a solid third of the way through the rebuild and the first camp of the new regime has not opened yet.

13. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Like i have stated previously... give it till 2015.. we will be SERIOUS contenders if things go right,and we keep this rebuilding up. i love the way this team is moving... i'm just disappointed we wont have a solid sure starter at QB... until who knows when Geno could be something but no one will no and if he isn't it might take even longer to really find that guy to command the offense in years to come. the weapons will come in around him.. we just need a "Him".

14. PuMa

PuMa Banned

When does Training camp start.. ! im anxious to see more of our rookies and the competition..

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think mini-camp is this week...but not sure.

Is there a schedule somewhere? Maybe someone can put a sticky with the offseason schedule or something.

16. PuMa

PuMa Banned

17. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Yes it starts tomorrow

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

You never know what you're going to get in QB's first few years. You can't put that on Rex. During Mark Sanchez' first 2 seasons he took us deep into the playoffs while putting up the #6 post season QB rating in NFL HISTORY. You can't blame Rex for being happy about that. We've all seen Mark's struggles. We've all seen his flashes of greatness. Rex sees much more than we do. It's obvious, however, that Rex has had enough of Mark's turnovers.

19. PuMa

PuMa Banned

So.. can anyone get any footage of Mini-camp today ?Isn't the media suppose to know about every day of mini camp ? i REALLY wanna see some good competition.

20. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Anyone have a helicopter? We can do a flyover.