Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what does that mean? who were these 55 pro bowlers? did they make it b/c he made them look better or were they actually top players?

In his one SB app he may have played the best team of all time.

he didn't have much talent to work with, again he had Duper and Clayton who were 2 good players but far from great. marino made them look much better, what else did he have to work with? he elevated mediocre teams to the playoffs. Did he struggle in postseason? absolutely but he didn't have SB talent around him.
    so the D allowing 31 pts in the '98 div rd played like a #1 defense?

2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He was going to be here regardless. And he didnt get a bloated contract, he got 2 million extra,for providing 6 mil in cap relief, by allowing his bonus to be further prorated...

Where were the going to move on to this year exactly?

Matt Moore,
    Matt Flynn,
    Kevin Kolb..?

You cant factor the fact that they were lucky to draft smith, because it wasnt a given.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I meant for THIS year. Last year, yeah it was economical enough, it was just putting way to much faith in him working out for two years.

and Kolb... maybe they went with him yes, with a rookie in tow as well (not saying Smith but A rookie)

They could start relatively fresh.

or maybe they keep Sanchez anyway, maybe they restructure him and get better value out of a competition pushed struggling back. take everything you've said MM can make Sanchez and give him a more reasonable contract, its a steal or an easy loss THIS year.

There would be many options, the one they went with was just a mis-calculation. I like the idea of paying him big and being able to cut him easy if he's not up to that level, I agree that that was a good call, but surely something better could have been done to make that take effect a little EARLIER?

Maybe that guaranteed money could have been LESS?

I don't mind the idea of having big bucks ready for a guy thats steps up, but he had to EARN it. Even The ravens let Flacco earn his paycheck, and sure doing it his last contract year would perhaps have cost more, but 2012 wasn't such for Mark. We had him till 2013, Tanny should have let 2012 dictate how much he was going to get instead of hoping he was everything they wanted and paying paying him like he was no matter what.

bad contract, could've done better. But yes I agree, the current set up works out for NEXT year.

5. feldspar

feldspar Member

I thought you helped bring up an interesting point, so I did some research.

Here are the current starting quarterbacks that started day one in their rookie years, regardless or their original team:

1) Robert Griffin III
    2) Ryan Tannehill
    3) Joe Flacco
    4) Matt Ryan
    5) Russell Wilson
    6) Andrew Luck
    7) Andy Dalton
    8) Cam Newton
    9) Matthew Stafford
    10) Peyton Manning
    11) Alex Smith
    12) Sam Bradford
    13) Brandon Weeden (should be starter this year, I think)
    14) Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith (ironically, it holds true no matter who starts)
    ---EJ Manuel in Buffalo?

So that's about 44% of QBs that started on day 1 of their rookie season...just current guys in the NFL, and not even including Manuel.

Then, like you say, there are guys that started DURING their rookie year, such as:

15) Ben Roethlisberger - started game 3 onward
    16) Blaine Gabbert - started game 3 onward
    17) Christian Ponder - started week 7 onward
    18) Josh Freeman - started week 9 and started the remaining 9 games
    19) Eli Manning - started week 11 and played seven full games onward
    20) Jay Culter - started the last 5 games as a rookie onward

So, the obvious trend is to start your new QB in his rookie year moving towards the future. This has happened with about 63% of the current starting quarterbacks in the NFL today. You may raise that to figure if Buffalo starts EJ Manual this year...that would make it around 66%. Teams aren't generally worried about "ruining" them.

The point? No reason not to start Geno just because he is a rookie, even if the Head Coach has a tattoo of his wife posing sexy while wearing a Sanchez jersey on his freakin' arm...think about that. The competition is straight up (or should be), in other words.

Then you have current QBs that started in their 2nd years:

Tom Brady (Bledsoe got hurt in game 2)
    Jake Locker - started 11 games
    Micheal Vick - #1 overall pick (sat behind Chris Chandler, who led the team to the Super Bowl just a couple years before)
    Drew Brees - started 2nd year
    Carson Palmer - sat behind Jon Kitna for a year, who won Comeback Player of the year award that year
    Colin Kaepernick - sat behind Alex Smith, who should have brought the team to the Super Bowl when Kaep was a rookie (thanks Kyle Williams)

The few exceptions seem to happen after year two:

Aaron Rodgers - sat for 3 years behind a Hall of Famer (who didn't want to retire, then did, then changed his mind, then came back, and so on)
    Philip Rivers - sat behind Drew Brees' kicking in
    Matt Schaub - started when traded to the Texans
    Matt Flynn - hasn't started yet
    Tony Romo - difficult story to explain in a few words

There you have it...looking at today's NFL, the large majority of QBs either start their rookie year from day 1 or sometime during their rookie year. Most of the others have started their second year.

The Jets did not draft Geno Smith for shits and giggles, nor did they do it as a fake gesture to push Sanchez. This list I've assembled was just an exercise, but I think there would be a great chance that Sanchez would already have been gone without his ridiculous contract extension...most people would think so. Geno was the 2nd QB taken in this draft too, as we all know. Personally, I think that Geno Smith is the favorite to win the QB sometime this year.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I hope nobody tells Sanchez that the odds are so stacked against him.

He don't handle pressure real well.:sad:

7. nyjunc

he was under pressure from day 1 and helped us win 4 playoff games and the 2 we lost he played pretty well.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He was never under pressure from day 1.. the Jets brass, fans, media, league-wide sentiments actually helped him his 1st two years because although he wasn't very good at all he would get the benefit of the doubt because he was young and "might be good someday"

9. nyjunc

He was under immense pressure w/ a HC talking SB from day 1. He didn't have to "carry" a team like Brady but he was under immense pressure to help us win or not prevent us from losing. We see the way fans have reacted after he couldn't win w/ awful talent in 2012, imagine if he played poorly in the playoffs and cost us playoff games?

10. BrowningNagle

Rex's talk helped the rookie QB, because it took some of the spotlight off of Sanchez.Rex's fat mouth became the story every week, not Mark Sanchez's growing pains.

As for having "pressure to win and not prevent us from losing" - yes I suppose he did have that. I wouldn't call it "immense" though as virtually every QB in the world has at least that basic amount of pressure.

If he played poorly in the playoffs, the story wouldn't have been any different than any rookie/ 1st year QB in the playoffs, "it's okay he's young, tough for young guys to win in the playoffs"

As it was he did a good job not making mistakes and letting his team carry him through. Kudos, but I'm not going to fucking anoint the kid the new savior of the franchise and make some story about how he performed under some imaginary pressure... Especially 3 years later when he's still the worst QB in the NFL and can't handle a little competition from a glorified TE playing QB.

11. nyjunc

It's bigger here, did you see how much attention we got last year for sucking? has Miami, Buffalo, Cleveland, etc... ever received that much attention for as bad as they have been?

He played very well under pressure, he led us to numerous late game comebacks and helped us win numerous road playoff games. You want to bash him b/c he sucked last year go ahead but don't rewrite history.

12. BrowningNagle

Re-writing history is saying he performed under "immense" pressure from day 1. Your words, not mine. Perhaps you should take some of your own advice.

13. nyjunc

He was under immense pressure, again look at how the nitwit fans have reacted to him after nearly helping us get to 2 SBs and winning the most playoff games in franchise history despite playing only 4 years.

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

and the wheels on the thread go round and round, round and round, round and round

and the wheels on the thread go round and round, time to lock this thread

guys we are just going back over the same stuff thats been brought up 20 times already in this thread.

junc, my last post that you liked is information i have posted time and time again on this board. i can only post the same stuff so many times. at some point you lose the ability to talk about the same thing over and over again. at least i do. i dont like to rehash the same stuff over and over and over again.

15. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

How DARE our nitwit fans want our QB to not be part of 'Worst of the Worst' on ESPN for 27 straight weeks!!!! How dare our nitwit fans not want to have a QB who was benched for a 3rd stringer!!!! How dare our nitwit fans not want a QB who gives the ball to the other team 50 times in two years!!!!! How dare our nitwit fans criticize the GREAT SANCHEZ!!!!!11!!1

16. nyjunc

You can criticize but don't forget all he has done. He deserves criticism, he doesn't deserve to be bashed like he never did anything for us.

17. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

Remember when Sanchez was a thing? Pepridge Farm doesn't, because he never was.

Intchez fanboys are as delusional as Tebowites.

18. nyjunc

I have seen some bad posters over the years but this new guy may be the worst, he brings absolutely nothing to a discussion.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Somebody had to say it.

_

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

These OTA numbers are so misleading, but I don't like how Rex is talking about the QB situation. I would prefer Sanchez to just take it over. If he can't, that is an issue. Still, Jets have been preaching competition all offseason, so I am not surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.