Is Rex Ryan's defense too tough for our offense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

It seems as though that we have a tough time scoring against them, even with a good OC like MM. I'm wondering if it hampers our ability to score in real game situations. Sort of like how you take a test and think 'wow, this is too easy' and start second guessing yourself.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think the D is too tough for a rookie to learn the ropes if the D gets too fancy with the schemes. They should play a little more vanilla at first to give Geno a chance to learn. On the other hand is great for the OL because they see it all in practice.
    Sanchez should be more apt to beat them at this juncture you would think.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

They'll have a field day on an offense without Holmes, Hill, or Kerley, that's for fuckin sure.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Meh, this is good for Geno, fuck Sanchez

He's getting everything thrown at him and he has to throw to "random guy A" and "CFL benchwarmer B" imagine when he gets some real targets and learns the playbook in full and has chemistry down pat

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is Rex is famous for his 'super sophisticated' defenses.....exactly what got Shotty killed every year. Think of how many times Shotty had to 'dumb down' his offense. I can't imagine Rex ever dumbing down his D to suit a FA or rookie who thinks it just too damn complicated but for years all we heard was Shotty's O was just too damn complicated.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Arizona was too tough for our offense...

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well Schotty did need to simply his offense. That doesn't mean Rex's complex defenses aren't a detriment to the offense.

I think there is a very good chance that our offense always facing Rex's unique defense and then facing something completely different on game days is a problem. Rex's D is filled with surprises that most defenses aren't. So when the QB see's something that would normally be a good read in a game, who's to say he isn't getting flashbacks from some crazy Rex D in practice that looked similar?

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Triple coverage is triple coverage.

If I can see it from my couch, Sanchez should see it from his spot.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Well, I suppse saying "dumb it down" is one way of looking at it.

Pretty sure Brett Favre saw it as throwing the stupid shit out.

Id rather have the offense tring to figure Rex out. And being able to slow it down on game day, than vice versa........

10. Hobbes3259

Of course.

Because sanchez is looking at it from a camera 30 feet in the air, and conversely youre sitting with 5 guys 6'2" or better right in front of you, who happen to be fighting off 270 lb guys trying to kill you...

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

But the thing is most defenses don't do what Rex's defense does. Rex's defense aims to confuse and trap the QB - makes them second guess themselves. So what usually looks like a clean read - there's a good chance it isn't against a Rex D. And when you're in a game against a much more simple D making that simple read and second guessing yourself for no good reason it's self defeating. Maybe you pump fake a wide open receiver in the end zone instead of letting it fly when it's there, for example.

12. Hobbes3259

I get your point, the way I should have put it was, Rex likesmto rely on pressure, where some guys (beli) like to rely on deception, and long term, I think being forced to react shoukd be better.

It also could be part of why the offense has been so dysfunctional, schottys plays are hideously slow developing....so you have that, combined with your point....hopefully MMs offense will be a little more symbiotic, in that respect.

13. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

If they simplified the defense to accommodate the learning curve of the offense wouldn't that just take away from the defense being able to practice what they'll actually be running on game day? Seems like you can't have it both ways...

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

This is good for Geno, if he can figure out a Rex defense then he should be fine against any other team.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Couldn't they just run the starting d versus the 2s and give the starting o more generic looks?

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was half joking...but the point stands.

Sanchez makes some really dumb throws.
    It doesn't matter who's defensive scheme you're facing, 2nd & 8 is no time to chuck the ball blindly down field.

What tricky defense causes Sanchez to forget the play call between the huddle and the snap?

The Jets offense has sucked for years.
    They've seen plenty of non-Rex defenses in that time.

The Jets are dumb, they ain't retarded.

#16 Acad23, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I had the same thought - seems reasonable. It would be interesting to know how they actually end up approaching it as the season gets closer. Maybe those folks who follow TC closely could clue us in...

18. Hobbes3259

I was going to make that point earlier, they probably do, the 1st D runs against the scoutteam.

19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

When I played in high school, half of practice would be our offense focused against a scout team defense and the other half of practice would be our defense focused against a scout team offense. It works pretty well if you actually have the intelligence to watch, memorize, and put into use (I played with a lot of morons so while I recognized plays as they developed exactly what play was being run, not everyone else on my team was able to do so). I'd be extremely surprised if they don't do this on the NFL level.

But as to whether the defense is just too tough for our offense to practice against, you don't get better by playing crappy opponents. Would I become a better chess player if I play against my 10 year old cousin all the time? Not at all. But if I play an adult who is good, I'll lose more but learn more. This is no different. You get better by practicing against better opponents.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

He will be soon in HD at home or at a bar.