Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Read in nj.com Hill had a nice sliding TD grab, and according to Sanchez, getting more and more comfortable in his routes. Apparently he has been working his but offin the gaining room to get physically ready.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Anyone miss Revis

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is the gaining room filled with delicious creme filled pastries?

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

I hear Mark Wahlberg and "The Rock" go there often...

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Who?

Nah, I still have nothing but love for him. He was a big part of our team. The problem is that he was a luxury rather than a necessity and money needed to be spent elsewhere. I think our defense will be near the same level without him.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think you might be right. i am not sold on this but i think the d will be ok even though probably the best defensive player has been lost.

he was amazing as a jet though.

7. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i trust rex enough not to worry about the defense. the offense keeps me up at night though. not literally, but yeh the offense is the real key here to how the jets do this season. defense will be solid, or at least solid enough to keep us in every game we play as long as the offense holds its own.

8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

For me if the Jets were coming off the back to back title games I would miss him more. But knowing that they are rebuilding they will hopefully get a lot more mileage out of Sheldon Richardson and Dee Mili than they would have out of the rest of Revis career. At least I HOPE.

9. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

The defense should be alright without Revis, and has enough young talent to be great for a long time. The offense is getting younger but the players bigger question marks.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not for two years.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No, let the drama queen take her talents to whatever florida team that was he was traded to.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Revis is hyped. He's like, "Wow a team with a top 10 offense! You mean I don't have to do everything?

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Training Camp Expectations - What should we be looking for?

Apologize for rehashing the obvious. But with the lack of detailed OTA visibility I'm going nuts thinking about what training and preseason will look like. I can't wait for training camp to start. Probably the most excited I have been about pre-season activities including watching the pre-season games in ages. For once there is a lot to be looking forward to, shifting the emphasis heavily on the youngsters that we are banking on to make the roster and less on the veterans with assured positions. At the end of the day we could have 5 to 7 new starters on each side of the ball from our 2012 team.

Here are a few things I'm looking forward to see beyond the obvious #1

1- The QB battle. When will the decision be made and how well will the boys perform in pr-season.. If truly the mantra is competition we must look no further than at QB

2- The running game. Who is in, who is out, using RB as receivers will be magnified.

3- The OL - Could we possibly have 2 new starters at OG, with competition at RT as well.

4- The performance of our wide receivers. Is Holmes the clutch of old, is Hill ready to be the" go to deep treat", will Kerley continue to grow as a great slot guy, do we have a surprise or two from the undrafted free agents? Will we reach for a vet?

5- Will our real TE stand up and identify himself. Will we go with a 2 headed TE set? Is Smith NFL ready now? This area could be a pleasant surprise or a bust

6- The magnificent D line - How many different formations will we play? where is the rush coming from.?How does Richardson fits in? Where is Coples lining up now? Snacks versus Ellis?

7- LBs and secondary. Is this a strength or a weakness? Can we seal the edge consistently? Can we cover stud TEs down the middle?

8- Special teams. Hell this is a brand new era. No Westy. Let's check out the rookies that will make the team because of special team versatility. Will we improve?

I know we tend to stay vanilla in preseason. Am I crazy in putting so much emphasis on training camp and pre-season games this year?.

Do you guys look at training camp and the pre-season games this year differently than in the past or not?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not crazy at all, new GM means the primary stakeholder in the organization has changed. We should expect the Jets opening day roster in 2014 to be two-thirds different than their opening day roster in 2012. That means a lot of jobs are at stake this camp even with all the free agents who were allowed to leave and the cap cuts that were made.

I have a very different take on camp this year.

Players on offense on the hot seat:

Mark Sanchez
    Greg McElroy
    Vlad Ducasse
    Caleb Schlauderaff
    Joe McKnight
    Austin Howard
    Stephen Hill
    Bilal Powell
    Every offensive player who bounced back and forth between the practice squad and the roster last year.

All of the guys above were Mike Tannenbaum pickups and he was their default stakeholder. He's not in the building any more and his guys are going to have a Long Good Friday over the next two years as they get chopped one by one. Probably only one or two of them will be on the 2014 opening day roster.

On defense you have more stability because Rex is the primary stakeholder on a lot of these guys but even then he's going to have much more turnover than he'd like over the next two years and a lot of it has happened already.

This is a brand new team at this point. It has a bunch of casualties still on the roster because there's only so much you can do in one draft and one cap-hindered free agency period. Next year could easily be almost as much changeover as we got this year.

#234 Br4d, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd add the following:

Santonio Holmes. (He will be expendable in terms of salary cap)
    Jeff Cumberland
    Konrad Reuland
    Hayden Smith

I expect all four to be gone by the end of 2013-2014 season. (Or before 2014-2015 season)

I'd expect new faces at LB and Safety corps more or less, but it will be more of the stable unit, I agree.

I expect bloodbath next off season.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

When is the next OTA that has media availability?

17. Br4d

Yeah these guys are probably gone too but TE is a deserted place on the roster right now. They have a better chance to stick around with a contributory effort over the next year or two than most of the JAGs the last regime brought in.

Holmes is a special case. 1st rounders get different treatment in the NFL than other players. If he has an upside year the Jets will most likely pay his salary next year and mull over what to do with him in the long-term. If he has a flat year he is burnt toast.

A major part of the cutting on defense was done this year with Scott, DeVito, Pouha and Bell going. Pace is probably here for one year as a stopgap. Revis and Landry were effectively cap transactions since both of them were going to be over-priced given their likely contributions moving forward.

That's 6 of 11 gone in one season. I think we'll see the Jets add a safety next year. It's the key position in the secondary and at the moment the Jets have stopgaps and unproven players filling it. If somebody does not step up to be a big time play maker the Jets will probably draft a safety 1 or 2 next year.

My guess is that the Jets will go get another free agent to play ROLB for them. You have to really believe in a rookie's ability to dominate there to draft him up high and the Jets have not done that since the Farrior pick a generation ago.

Continuing bloodbath. This year half the starters went missing. Next year less people will go missing but by the end of it there will only be a half dozen people who started in 2012 still on the roster.

In the bottom half of the roster the blood will flow freely though. Most of those guys only have a job because somebody saw something in them and that somebody is no longer in the building.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

One of the 3 TEs will remain. Probably Cumberland, two if Hayden Smith plays to the Pre Season hype.

I think o er the couse of a full season Cumberland will prove to be more solid, if less spectacular, than Keller.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Other than Hayden Smith (who is an interesting prospect actually) I don't see anyone of them sticking around. I'd expect at least 2 TE picks in the early draft next year. If I had to bet, I'd say 1x OLB, 1x SS and 2x TE (especially if the board falls that way.)

His production as of late few years has tailed off, believe it or not. True, there is Schottenheimer factor, and he was a non-factor last year with injury, but even with that consideration, he was at best pedestrian. Without Edwards taking double team off of him, he looked very average to put it nicely. Unless Hill develops in huge strides, I don't expect Holmes' production to increase much. [I do believe this was Tannenbaum's lack of insight - Holmes is, if you ask me, but a complementary player, not a true #1. Edwards was that #1 Jets were looking for all along. Tannenbaum released the wrong guy after all.]

True - but the LB corp and Safety corp remained as a big, gaping hole for ages by now. They were never properly addressed; Jets got by somehow, but without Ryan, that just does not happen. On top of that, I think David Harris does lack lateral quickness. Demario Davis is an unknown to me for now. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Harris is let go some time later. Let's just say I have my own reasons for such thoughts for now.

I believe Barnes is here to stay - at least for 3 years. Same deal with Landry. If my hunch is correct, Jets will address their respective positions, probably in round 4 or 5, within two years at most. The prototypical guys for that slot would be more of raw, high-ceiling project guys. They will have 1-2 years to sit behind, learn then beat out the incumbent. The only case where the logic above fails is, when Barnes (or Landry or both) fails outright this season. I can hardly see how that can happen, but it still is a possibility.

I can see Mangold/Ferguson/Hill/Kerley staying. The rest will get canned more or less.

It's almost same rocky adventure with the defense too: the DL is here to stay. That's the only staple. At LBs and Safeties, Jets will have revolving doors for some time. Unless they can show they belong, the CB spot is also very shaky after Cro, Milliner and Wilson.

20. Br4d

Hayden Smith is 100% production or gone. He's exactly the kind of delusion that a new GM isn't going to stick with unless he sees tangible results.

Harris is a likely cap cut next year if he doesn't have a strong year this year. Sacred cows and big contracts melt away in a new regime. If D'Brick had not restructured a couple of times to make himself essentially uncuttable he'd be on the hot seat next year and the year after also. As it is he is uncuttable because no cap gains will come from it for a long time.

I think both of these guys are 100% production cases. They either produce or they're gone. They're both stopgaps because the Jets didn't have better younger options.

If Dee Milliner is half the player the Jets have reason to expect him to be the Jets have one of the best CB situations in the NFL right now. If he's the player he looked like at Alabama the Jets have overkill at CB and not by a little bit.

Cromartie and Milliner on the corners and Wilson at the nickel is probably the best CB alignment in the NFL right now. If it's not the best it's certainly in the top 5.