Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They are not going Qb in 2014 if Geno shows any signs in practice. Playing in 2014 is almost irrelevant on the grading of Geno.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

yes they WERE 12 million under. But they also had a number of roster spots to fill, were pursuing a trade for Chris Ivory and a few other low key signings.
    12.1 Million doesn't go to far when your trying to build an ENTIRE roster.

Your right, and 99% of the time I've said the Jets wouldn't cut Sanchez, at least not too quickly and not until the season began. Why, As I've stated Numerous times Idzik likes to try to get any value he can for a player rather than just cut them. You know like how he held on to Tebow until after the last day of the draft and there were no buyers for him.

So oh wise one, who also predicted the Jets offense last year would flourish under Tony S. We'll see who's correct in the long run. But I'd bet good money that if Geno isn't starting opening day he is starting no later than week 7.

3. 1968jetsfan

Again Hobbes, all the teams you mentioned were drafting before the jets in teh first round, and the Jets tried to trade up in the second round.
    HInt you don't try to trade up in the second round unless your very serious about the guy.

Additionally a factor you don't take in to consideration, most of the teams you mention aquired new QB's this off season so they weren't a prime threat to draft Geno over other Needs. The surprise was the Jags didn't draft him, and it's my guess that who the Jets were trying to trade ahead of.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i dont think powell and bohanon have the same skillset. powell is not a fb type that tbo is. but i do agree that powell could be odd man out come cut time

5. 1968jetsfan

Sorry meant running skill type, Powell has never seemed to me to be an outside rusher and more of a power through guy. My mispoken word there.

6. 1968jetsfan

McKnights actually been a decent reciever out of the backfield, just hasn't had many balls thrown to him. He's only been targeted 24 times and he caught 17 of them, 70%.
    Goodson's 75% over his career. Compared to LT over his career who caught 68%. Interesting note, both McKnight and Goodson average more yards per catch than LT over his career. Just a note and observation.

7. FJF

mcknight seems to have dug himself a hole his rookie year and never been able to climb out.it appears his k.r. skills is the only thing keeping him on the roster. he seems to have the skillset to succeed.it will be interesting to see if he is able to become an offensive weapon or if he will just be reutrner for the rest of his career. as long as goodson is still here i view mcknight as a luxury but if goodson ends up getting cut it will be imperative that mcknight step up. i dont think powell gives us the hands and breakway threat we need behind ivory

8. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Thumbs up!

By the way, this post gave me deja vu. Not sure why.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We should make a thread "Everyone vs Hobbes"

10. boston_jet

boston_jet New Member

I have large Genos.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

I was never a huge proponent of either 1st round pick at the time. I didnt think we "needed" either to be honest. But looking into it a little more, there was some need there. Cromartie becomes expendable after this year because of his contract, and if he is cut then there's a massive hole. Im not saying he will be cut, but its a possibility with his contract. He could also be restructured. Kyle Wilson hasnt lived up to his draft position and his contract is running out. Its clear the Jets prefer him at Nickel instead of on the outside. Rex predicates his defense on the ability to cover, so yes there was a need in the organizations eyes.

As far as Richardson, he presents an inside rusher that we havent had at 3T. He also presents extreme versatility. Rex seemed to have had the vision of Coples playing on the outside all along, so a need for another inside rusher was there. With Coples, Wilk, Richardson and some of the young NT's, we can have the best DL in a year or 2.

Thats addressing the "need" for the 2 picks. Once again, Ill remind you if your brain caused you to forget this- the Jets picked 2 of their top 4 players and their 2 top rated defensive players. The Jets said from day 1 when Idzik walked in, that the Jets would draft BPA. They stuck to that to a T. There was some debate though at 13 on whether they should address a need (at QB) or draft BPA. The Jets seemingly stuck to their board, and drafted Richardson. Its been reported from numerous sources, I believe including Geno himself, that the Jets had it narrowed down to him and Richardson at 13.

Now, logic tells me that if you are debating between a top 4 player on your board and another player, that other player is going to have to be at a big position of need in the teams eyes and/or not very far off in value based on the board. Both seem likely IMO. If they are debating Smith at the 13, he has to present solid value in their eyes and is obviously at a position of big need (otherwise they wouldnt even be debating it).

It was also reported that the Jets were trying to find a trade up partner in the 2nd to grab Geno. It didnt work out and they couldnt find a trade partner, but Geno still made it to their pick. If that doesnt tell you that they were trying to get their "guy" then Im not sure what does...

All the evidence is there Hobbes to completely disclaim this absolute BS argument you have created in order to still view Sanchez as your savior. The real question is can you be objective and accept the truth? Doubt it.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Apparently both Hill and Kerley looked really good. I read that Kerley looks bigger and faster running effortless routes. There were news about the OL, trying out various punt returners, T Davis was nursing an injury, good show by the offense in general, nice showing by both Patele and Haden Smith, so far impressing the coaches, etc etc

But all we seem to do is gravitate every thread into a Geno versus Sanchez discussion, regurgitating the draft logic and dumb comments about the butt fumble.

Would be nice if we have this thread focused on OTA performance by the team, talking about what the players are doing or not doing NOW, and not an entry point to reopen an old discussion on Sanchez based on last year. Last year is over and done. Is time to move on.

May the best players at each position get the starting job and the rest is irrelevant

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Where'd did you hear the news about Hill and Kerley? IMO, outside of QB, Hill has to be the one player that needs to step up. Extremely interested in how he does throughout camp.

14. How about competition at RB, TE,O-line,Corner & Safety? The QB position is important but it is not the be all end all.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Too bad we hardly hear anything on that

16. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

According to QnA from Cimini, Zach R getting a decent number of reps.

also rex seems to really like the kid from Clemson.

17. FJF

the clemson kid is a center right?

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There aren't enough potential starters on the team to have any real competition. Those positions are pretty much set unless you are talking about down the depth chart competition and reporters don't usually write about who will win the job of nickle cb.

19. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Read that he did a lot of pulling in Clemson, so they might move him to guard if need be. Between him and Rogers sounds like we got a couple of keepers after the draft.

20. I wouldn't say that.

-W/ the speed factor that Goodson & Mcknight have, one of them could easily beat out Ivory for playing time.

- Along the OL the guard spots are completely up for grabs. Peterman is an older guy who has lost a step & Colon is at high injury risk. Ducasse,Winters & heck I'll even throw in Shlauderoff all have a fighter's chance of winning a starting job.

-At corner, Milliner has gotta earn that # 2 spot & with him out till TC that leaves the door open for Aaron Berry,Ellis Lankster & Kyle Wilson. Even so, those 3 will battle it out for the nickel spot, which in today's NFL is basically starter level.

- The safety spot opposite Landry will be an interesting battle as well. Neither Allen nor Bush are complete players at this stage but both bring some major pluses to the field.

Allen is a big strong ball hawk w/ play making ability both as a big hitter as well as a pass defender. He's limited as a deep coverage type. Bush is basically the opposite. He's a smooth athlete who can cover alot of ground via deep patrol. What he lacks is size & playmaking ability. Both these guys have the ability to improve their weaknesses & become complete players. This will make for a fascinating battle. Reminds me alittle of Andre Maddox vs. Kerry Rhodes in 2005. Maddox ended up getting hirt but that was a heckuva bout early on in TC.