Jake Steinberg: RB Goodson arrested for drug/weapon possession

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, May 17, 2013.

1. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Know JStokes from the other board, big Jets fan, like all of us, can be a pain in the ass at times, but no troll.

2. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I don't think you are a troll but I can't understand how an attorney could make this statement, unless you are just jaded about humankind.

Is the burden of proof not on the prosecutor?

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

an attorney can make any statement he/she wants - just look at our gov't. lol

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I’m not that type of attorney, I’m in corporate finance. Criminal law never interested me and constitutional law was something that was interesting in law school and my idealistic youth, but once I started a family, the rights of criminals was supplanted by my desire for protection from criminals. So yes, I guess I am a tad jaded.

Said differently, I’m not concerned with the idealistic nuances of whether Goodson or his friend owned the gun or who was driving or the weed—I’m more concerned about (i) the family of 5 in the mini-van those guys could have plowed into while totally hammered, killing the Mom and two of the kids, leaving the Dad with one paraplegic child and the lost memories of his once happy family and (ii) the 20 year old college student walking past a club that could have been killed by a stray bullet when Goodson’s posse was “dissed” by Plaxico’s posse.

Said even differently, I’m a law-abiding citizen that raised law-abiding children, I own registered handguns (not happy that I have to register them, but it’s the law) and I store them locked in one part of the house and my ammo in another part of the house, and I don’t drive hammered. And I'm a very very proud American, but my views on the rights of criminals might be deemed by some as un-American.

I get the idealistic argument about freedom and liberty and constitutional law and the burden of proof being on the prosecution. As the brother of NYC and Nassau County police officers, I also understand the deficiencies of the criminal justice system just fine.

Let’s just say I’m more swayed by the fact that these two idiots were totally hammered driving in the state where I live (and where my children and I drive cars) carrying an unregistered handgun loaded with hollow-point bullets walking down the streets where I walk and my children walk. I may be guessing here, but I don’t think it’s the first time they ever drove hammered—nor will it be the last, and I don’t think the Easter Bunny just dropped the gun and bullets in the car that night—that they’ve never carried that gun before while walking down my streets.

I don’t care WHICH one was actually guilty—I want thugs like that off the street.

So I’ll ask you—as a non-lawyer—do you think these guys are innocent bystanders? Let them walk, right?

End of rant—how about that GENO!!!

:smile:

_

#324 JStokes, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. JStokes

:sad:

:lol:

_

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I completely understand your concern for the actual innocent bystanders that could have been hurt due to the drunken actions.

Moreover, I don't think either guy is an innocent bystander. However, I also don't think both men should be thrown in jail for 5 years for having an unregistered handgun that one of the two may have not even known about.

If Goodson (or the other guy) didn't even know that gun existed (or the weed for that matter), he should only be charged with stupidity: for getting inside a vehicle with a drunken criminal.

Two people shouldn't be put in jail for the actions of one. (That said, both could have been responsible, but we won't know that until the justice system plays itself out.)

7. JStokes

I'm just guessing here, but Goodson has a bodyguard or a friend that acts as his protector and he owned the gun and both knew about it but it's most likely not Goodson's. And they both got hammered but it seems as if the bodyguard/friend was driving, so that's not on Goodson either. And the weed--probably Goodson's--he's the party guy that needs his bodyguard to drive him around and protect him.

So all-in-all, I think Goodson is probably ok and gets a slap for the weed.

But that's just my guess, and in any event it's freaking stupid.

_

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Goodson's story isn't surprising at all.

1. Yes, I was drunk.
    2. No, I had no idea about the guns and drugs.
    3. I've only known this guy a few weeks anyway, so I didn't expect this.

I'm not trying to be naive, but if he only knew this guy for a few weeks, it could be logical enough to think he didn't know about the guns or drugs, or that he was going to be in the car with a guy who was so drunk he'd park in the left lane on a moving highway.

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I would expect better judgement out of my teenage kids,nevermind a pro athelete who has a hell of a lot to lose. There are no excuses.

The problem is that if this were some random bunch of guys from that area that got in this trouble,people would be calling for heads on every one in the car. But since one is an athelete,and our team is in need of an RB,we will find ways to excuse it. I don't mean you,i mean in general.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

But at the same time, asswipes like Lindsay Lohan, Spears and other trash seem to get away with 4 of these a week...

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

definetly,same catagory. us regular shmucks make someone money when we get busted. celebs and pros make someone more money when they are excused from trouble.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Hot quiff always gets a pass...and those 4 a week dont include the backseat "breathalyzers" you dont read about...."

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If this were a bunch of guys from that area who did this, nobody would give a crap. It only matters because Goodson is an NFL player.

You're right that it's bad, but I think Goodson will remain a Jet. Obviously, he was completely hammered. This guy gave him a ride home, obviously that was bad judgment, but if he was as drunk as he supposedly was, I don't think he was in any mood to say no. If it wasn't his car, it's possible he didn't know about the guns/hollow points or the weed, though I don't necessarily believe that, especially about the weed.

If Goodson were the driver, that would be one thing. But he's not.

If we dumped NFL players who showed bad judgment, the league would be empty. Now he has to deal with the consequences of his actions, by the courts, by the NFL, and by the Jets.

Goodson's lawyer seems to think the gun charge won't last. If it does go away (at least for Goodson), then all he's getting charged with is having a little bit of weed in the car and being too drunk. Neither of which I care much about.

#333 Jetfanmack, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Seth Walder
    ‏@SethWalderNYDN Confirmed that Mike Goodson expects to return to practice on Tuesday, per source. #nyj

15. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

Cimini noted that Seth's source, however, is shit.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I still don't like the distraction. Although, to be fair, it's only a distraction because the media is freaking out because it's the Jets. Any other team and this would have been headline news the day of and then disappeared entirely. That's just the way it works. Other teams have the same thing or worse happen on their end but the Jets thing gets blown out of proportion in the media and the other guys get to escape the negative stuff as a result.

Case in point: one of our picks allegedly didn't want to come back for day 2 of the draft and fired his agent a few days later. It gets talked about for days in every media outlet in North America, he gets blasted as being a diva, all types of "anonymous sources" come out of the woodwork, etc. Other draft picks have legal issues, a history of drug problems, imaginary girlfriends, smear shit all over their hotel rooms, etc. and it gets a footnote in the news on the day of the news breaking.

17. Sixto

Sixto Member

Oh my, Cimini's latest Goodson article paints an interesting past.

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

seems like a really classy guy. pretty brilliant too.

19. Chrebet Fo' Ever

6 kids with 3 different women as per Cimini's last article...

Still got a ways to go to catch up with Cro!

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i wonder if he knows their names....

he seems to have an issue paying money that he owes people for stuff too. the more money he got the more money he owed... recipe for disaster for him. hopefully on a personal level he realizes he needs to handle life a different way.