Jake Steinberg: RB Goodson arrested for drug/weapon possession

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, May 17, 2013.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

reminds me of the old Bob Nelson football comedy routine: "Because a mind is a terrible thing . . . ."

2. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

Good Post. Goodson was a passenger in this vehicle, not the driver. Unfortunately, as has become the norm in our society that judgment is passed without knowledge of all the facts.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

According to the NFL.com article:

"Goodson was charged with suspicion of possession of marijuana (less than 50 grams), possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a loaded handgun, unlawful possession of a handgun and possession of hollow-point bullets."

"Neither man admitted to owning the gun."

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a knock on the system than anything else,but balance it any way you want. When the system allows people who need a certain kind of help from the get go from the lackings of their upbringing to get pushed right through because they have a talent,what they missed culturally will come into play one day later,when they are forced to be accountable for something serious as an adult. There are certain pieces that you are supposed to learn from your school work to reprecussions for bad actions that are kind of important to the rest of your life. So why dont you again tell me why there are some people that have a long way to go....

I would never retract my statement. because not being able to address things like that being the truth is why things never change. Some pro atheletes and what they are and most likely have been able to get away with is a problem. Maybe thats part of the reason people flocked to Tebow. Because his character is rare. And if i am not mistaken,ghettos are not reserved only for black people. But you automatically put it there. So maybe get out of your own damn head.And what makes you think it is living conditions i have no clue about? Calling someone ghetto trash does not make the whole ghetto,trash. I have trash in my neighborhood too. My neighbor refuses to cut his lawn or clean up his side yard. trash. Neighbor across the street has a kid who is always in trouble with the law. Family is good though. But he could end up being a Goodson.

#224 typeOnegative13NY, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Well that's not good for Goodson.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Still God-awful judgement on Goodson's part no matter how its sliced and diced. Idzik has an opportunity to demonstrate to the team that there is a zero-tolerance policy towards this kind of behavior. I'm curious to see how this will be handled.

#226 Cman68, May 18, 2013
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

i went and saw him at the local comedy club last year. He did the whole football routine

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If it turns out this guy was his body guard and the gun was his I don't really see this as a big deal. Goodell probably won't even suspend him for a first time offender with a little weed.

9. Cman68

I think Goodson should be more worried about Idzik than Goodell considering that its Idzik that has final say whether he stays on the roster or not. Idzik might want to make an example out of Goodson and drop the house on him just to send a message to the team. My other question would be why on earth would you hire a bodyguard that is a convicted felon? You already know he can't pack and definetly can't use hollow point rounds in New Jersey. Its almost as if Goodson thought he was still in the Wild Wild West of Oakland.

#229 Cman68, May 18, 2013
  10. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

This guys got to go... its a shame

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't read that the guy was a convicted felon. If that's the case it certainly changes my opinion on his bad judgement regardless of what other details emerge. Best case scenario then is that Goodson failed to do any research on the guy he hired to be his body guard. That would be a little bit of stupid and a little bit of poor judgement - I guess they always go hand in hand.

I don't know enough about Idzik to know if he'd release a guy who he had plans for over a minor charge of a little weed. The bad judgement is troubling, but let's face it we're not dealing with a bunch of geniuses in the NFL. There's also the detail of the 1 million dollar cap hit if they release him. Can't say I'd be shocked if he did release him though.

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Some things, I'm really confused about.

Their is one gun & two people denying it belongs to them but it seems that the gun had to belong to somebody in the car. If they police can't prove it belongs to one of them specifically, then both of them are free of gun charges? Or can the police simply say that the gun belongs to both of you and you'll both be charged?

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The gun probably has someones fingerprints on it.

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

either one of them takes the blame or they both get charged

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

charged doesnt mean found guilty

16. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

With respect,
    I am done with this discussion, I learned long ago that you cannot make an apple and orange no matter how much you try. People are going to feel how they feel, its just sometimes,they can't hide it as well as they like to an there true colors show.
    Do I believe people of color have issues in both community and lifestyles that must be address, absolutely.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are so many assumptions we're making at this point that it's hard to know what Goodson was thinking or where we're going to wind up.

The only thing that is clear is that Goodson was found passed out in the backseat of a vehicle with an amount of marijuana likely greater than a roach and less than 50 grams and that a handgun loaded with hollow points was found in the same car.

The facts when they're sorted out are going to determine the effect of each of the factors above.

I vividly remember getting so drunk one night at a local pub that I fell down walking back to my apartment at about 1am that night. Woke up in the morning with a minor gash on my chin that had of course bled all over my pillow and so hungover that I didn't have the energy to puke. I was 28 at the time and hadn't been shit-faced like that for a decade or so. Same thing happened about 5 years later at a bachelor party. Again, I hadn't had much to drink in the interim.

What made those two nights so weird and funky? No idea.

18. Cman68

I'm frankly amazed that you could remember VIVIDLY, being so drunk as to have passed out walking back to your apt. Especially at age 28! I salute you Sir! :beer:

Seriously, I think Goodson has more to fear from Idzik than he does from Goodell.

19. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

If Idzik wants to make a statement, he'll hold Goodson to the same standard he held the two guys we just cut a week or so ago for getting arrested. Anything less would send a bad message.

20. Cman68

Yes, there is precedence here from Idzik. The only thing I can think of is the cap hit just might save Goodson. After all, it saved Sanchez didn't it..