Ian Rapoport : David Garrard No Longer a Jet?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, May 15, 2013.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Very true.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Sanchez starts the season at least up until the bye week. if we are 3-6 or 2-7 then Geno takes over.

3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

he deserves a chance yes, he has smarts alright and maybe the timing based system does him some good.

but he doesn't have the experience to usurp Sanchez or the reliability to at least be decent, he's a question mark.

At this point with these 4 he gets in the top 3 no problem, but maybe we should get a much more tested player to possibly unseat our "franchise Quarterback" as well?

I like him though. It will take Sanchez choking for him to get the start however. (along with hesitance for Geno once again)

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Because we watched Pennington who was talented enough to be a first round pick fail against NFL defenses after his arm strength deteriorated to what SackElroy has now.

SackElroy isn't nearly as good as Pennington was, and he has the arm strength issue. The guy can't even read a defense he just hits his first read or takes a sack. He simply does not have the physical tools to exist as an NFL starter. Maybe an emergency finish out a game if #1 & #2 go down guy ... Pennine higton was an excellent decision maker from the day he hit an NFL field in the regular season. Sackelroy, not so much. The only comparison is some IQ test that doesn't correlate to success on an NFL field. I hate the comparison.

I'd rather re-sign Tebow and watch him throw dirt missiles than watch Sackelroy eat dirt.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

NFL is on another level. It's not college, the skills level is much higher, plays are much faster. Jets have opportunity to bring up QB slowly. Geno might be good right away, but he might not. There is no point of risking the latter.

It's like with any new job. You might be perfectly capable of performing it exceptionally, but there always some initial adjustment period to get accustomed to the new place.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If Geno proves himself in camp and preseason then he should start. It's not set in stone that you have to sit your rookie.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the reason Sanchez will easily win the QB battle is the new OC, healthy receivers, and a backfield that provides pass catching options. Jets QBs had no security blanket out of the backfield. Sanchez passes and competitions to running back dropped by over 50% last year. Those passes open up so much more of the field, slows down rushers, makes the running game more effective. The Jets offense will be much more like 2011 in 2013.

Concerns:Smith completed over 42 percent of his passes thrown 15 yards or longer in 2012, including 15 touchdowns. Yet in West Virginia's six losses, Smith completed fewer than a quarter of his 15-yard throws and was off target (overthrown, underthrown or wide) on more than half of his attempts.

You think against pro defenses things will get easier?

and:
    Smith threw 177 of his 518 passes at or behind the line of scrimmage in 2012, including an AQ-high 112 screen passes. As a result, Smith's average pass traveled 7.7 yards past the line of scrimmage, the fewest air yards per attempt of any top QB prospect.

They guys stats were grossly inflated by throwing so many short passes and screens to electric outside options...one of which went #8 in the draft. Jets don't have that threat.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Man, I cant wait until Sanchez is off this team and you have no more useless excuses for the guy.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

You have a good point at the adjustment period. That's why I think he should adjust now when the expectations are low. Less than 5 percent of Jets fans/local and national media think the Jets can make the playoffs. Let Geno learn on the job. Trial by fire. I'm not worried at all about him. I don't like the idea of wasting a season with a known FAILED variable in Sanchez. I really don't. It will deflate any morale the Jets have .

We see what we have in him right now. He gets 4 wins in our first 9 games, he stays onboard and we have a potential franchise quarterback. I believe he can do that. I know he can do that.

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

His stats may be inflated, but at least he can HIT screen passes. Sanchez did not demonstrate that ability at all last year.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the screen pass and pass to a back out of the backfield wasn't even in Sparano's playbook.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sanchez has been terrible at screen passes and passes to RB's his entire career.

13. The 1985er

Because Sanchez can't execute it.

14. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

What just dawned on me is that until you step out of the SOJFS you wont see positive things at all. Same Ole Jets Fan Syndrome is what you suffer from my fellow jet fan.

Garrard wasnt starting not in the NFL nowadays. Open your eyes

15. WiscJets

WiscJets Member

Hey Derek Anderson... What up?

16. WiscJets

WiscJets Member

Pass the doobie to the left hand side...

17. Geno

Geno Member

Sanchez lucks out again. Now his only competition is a rookie and Mclroy. He has to be the luckiest worst QB in the history of the NFL. Any other team he would have been benched after his first year and never been able to get the starting job back after losing to legitimate competition. Here he has 78 lives. Now we will have to live through another hell untill Rex is left with no choice but to start Geno.

18. The 1985er

Exactly most QB's gets 3 years at most. But because of the money they invested in him he sticks around.

19. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

do u actually know the meaning of "sociopath"?

20. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

i bet the pats fins and bills are happy too