Brian Costello: Stephen Hill Ready To Explode

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 2, 2013.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Once a guy has a high profile drop without an established track record, he's destined to be labeled stone hands forever.

This was everyone's fear when Braylon first arrived, and he had a wide open drop on one long ball, but other than that during his time here he dispelled the notion that he dropped too many passes and was clutch for us.

I wouldn't get on any rookie for one drop. I think Hill will be fine if he can stay healthy, and Holmes can be the #1 which takes some pressure off.

2. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Take it with a grain of salt.. Many players are optimistic at the start of the season. Heck, Joe McKnight says he's ready to be the lead back this year.

Let's show it on the field.

With that said, I sincerely hope Hill raises his game to a new level this year.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Just wanted to point out that Hill had way more than 1 drop last season. He had a bunch. Either way, I'm still not going to bash the guy, since he's still learning and developing. It's rare that WRs come into the NFL and become difference makers in their first year. I look forward to seeing him develop more throughout this year.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He had 5 drops. Not so bad but he was only targeted 47 times. So that's more than 10% of the time he's targeted that he dropped the ball.

5. Irawastedlife

Irawastedlife New Member

too bad he can't catch anything

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If he couldn't catch anything he wouldn't have any receptions.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Probably more times than he was targeted in college. Everybody knew that coming from Georgia Tech his learning curve would automatically be longer.

edit..haha, close..he had 49 receptions in 3 years at GT.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/stephen-hill-1.html

#87 Don, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

He has the athleticism, attitude, and work ethic to succeed. He just needs reps to put it all together. Maybe it will be this year but more likely next.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Anyone that was expecting Hill to fly out of the gate as a rookie with 49 career college receptions was dreaming, 90% of rookie recievers struggle their first season even when highly experienced. this year and next will be the tell on Hill..

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I'm actually pretty shocked he only had 5 drops. Guess he just had a knack for dropping at the worst times and there must have been a few that went on Sanchez statistically so it seemed like more.

That stat is definitely more encouraging than the bs propaganda article. Hill is another guy that also compares very favorably against WR's drafted in rounds 1-3 in the 2012 draft when you look at the stats, especially when you factor his reduced cost in the 2nd round relative to the guys selected above him. He's a kid that could definitely be scary good if he puts it all together, but it's still a pretty big if at this point. Very optimistic, cautiously.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If hill didn't drop that pass in New England no one says much about him besides Sanchez could never hit him on target

12. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Raw coming into the league. Limited play time last year and an offseason of getting healthy.. not that promising for this year.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's actually pretty amazing, even if he was unimpressive as a rookie.

He almost matched his entire college total for receptions in one of the worst years you could ever play on a Jets offense.

14. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

UPSIDE.... the kid works hard and is focused. Attitude is everything in life and it looks like he has his head on straight. With his limited experience and his natural ability the thing he needs the most is coaching and the right attitude. Morningweg could be the best thing for Hill. Did we really think he was going to flourish under Sparano as a rookie?

Everyone needs to take a deep breathe and actually give some players some time to develop. Eveyone wants someone to be a probowler their first year..lets just step back and look at it a little more realistically.

I think he the kid has a tone of upside lets see if we can watch this flower bloom.

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

You are both mistakenly comparing targets to receptions.

He had 49 receptions at Georgia Tech, 47 targets and 21 receptions in his rookie year as a Jet.

16. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Nah, it isn't that. Bad experiences are always more memorable than good ones. End of story. Why do you think that you always remember the restaurants that made you sick, but the places that gave you adequate, good, and even great meals blur together at times? Same goes for any type of experience. You remember the drops because it was a bad experience. If he mad a catch for 9 yards who would remember that? Just like who remembers a perfectly serviceable hamburger?

"Geez guys, I gotta tell you about this place! I went out to lunch today and got a burger. Guess what? It was OKAY! Not bad, not good..... OKAY! Seriously, there was nothing noteworthy about this experience at all, thats why i had to call. You just gotta try this. Yes, it's on Rte 37 near the Shop'n'Fart...."