Brian Costello: Stephen Hill Ready To Explode

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 2, 2013.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree with you. lots of positive things going on. new faces new attitude hopefully and new direction.

if mark sanchez doesnt hit camp i think we will be better than expected this year even though our talent level may be down. the age of the team is getting younger and for me the future looks bright.

i am interested in what rex will be like and how he will do this year. i think he is gone after the season but i am still interested in what he will come up with.

im not a rah rah guy, i am more of a hopefully we correct x,y and z guy but i want the team to win just as much as anyone else.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This guy stepping up and giving us ~600-700 yards would be huge. Not just the yards, though, but stretching the field and providing a deep threat would be critical to our success. Not really sure what to expect, but we know he is gifted athletically. You can't teach hands, though.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It would be nice to see more consistent play from Hill this year. He has the size and speed to be a monster for us.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The problem was that the Jets drafted him to be the number 2 receiver, he should have been a number 4 at best and got the chance to learn and develop at his own pace. Good to hear the positive attitude I hope it translates on the field this season.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

This just proves how much Sanchez sucks!!!

I mean, look how inaccurate his passes are.. Horrible footwork and look @ 2:37... How he has no pocket presence and never looks upfield when someone is in his face... pffft..HORRIBLE!!

6. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

the tape is promising on hill, he has to tools to beat any cb in the league, just needs to refine his routes and catching and he can be a beast. hopefully thats just stuff mornhinweg can teach the kid.

7. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

to put the Pats loss on Hills shoulders is unfair. It's true that he should have caught the ball, but the Jets had 3 or 4 other opportunities to win that game, a couple of them in regulation time. Hill's stood out, but lets not forget that Sanchez also missed several passes as well that could have won the game.

But no argument that's a pass he should have caught.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

interesting note here, of all the Jet Recievers last year only 1 caught substantially more than 50% of the passes targeted to him...that Reciever is now in Miami.
    He caught 28 of the 36 passes targeting him. The rest of the team hovered at about 50% give or take abit.

Hill was targeted 47 times and caught 21, he is officially credited with 5 drops. which is still high, but nowhere near as high as some people are making it out to be.

That said, he does need to improve his game...and he, and the rest of the Jets Recievers, need a QB that is more consitantly accurate with his passes.

Interesting factoid, the two recivers who caught the highest percentage of Sanchez passes targeted to them were both Tight ends who generally run seam routes in the middle of the field. Just an observation.

9. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

You will never teach a guy this far along how to catch, he either has great hands or he doesn't. If he has brick hands don't draft him I don't give a shit how much he "looks" like a receiver. Hill will always have huge drops because his hands stink and always will. No one taught Jerry Rice or Randy Moss how to catch, these guys had great hands.

When drafting a receiver excellent hands is a must, if he doesn't have excellent hands let him pass by.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Remember that time Braylon lead the league in drops with the Cleveland Browns? Remember when he had only like one drop in 2010 with the NYJs? Braylon had crappy hands also. Hill will refine his technique and concentrate more. This will lead to less drops.
    Your statement is untrue. A player can always improve fundamentals.

11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Watching that clip, I think the biggest thing benefiting Hill this year is that there is a new offensive coordinator. Holy cow... a 3 minute clip of all 8 yard routes/completions? How do you have a guy with that size and speed and not use him down the field? What is with the 8 yard routes? Marty is smarter than that I think, and Hill should benefit.

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

haha i was thinking that as well,

hell anytime i look at tape from last season i cant help but think how horrible the offense looks

polar opposite of schotty, where schotty lacked in balls, playcalling and design, sparano had worse play design, but balls bigger than his brain and his playcalling had no flow or consistency at all. the offense was anemic with schotty, it was inept with sparano. he should have never been given a job as a coordinator, i think that falls on rex as much as it does on tanny, but even idzik was saying how the staff hires have been influenced by rex but i have a feeling that john was like, 'look, we gotta go attack with the pass, im gonna get this guy whos proven he can move the ball as an oc" and marty was brought in

first time im actually excited about a coach hire. last season it was feigned 'well he could be alright, we dont know, he did a good job calling plays that one time' but this time we have over 10 years of proof he knows what hes doing. no more excuses, solid systems on both sides of the ball. team is gonna do a lot better than people think.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I really love the potential of Hopefully he can fulfill it.

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Personally I think people are sleeping on our WR group. I think it's got a lot of upside in this offense.

15. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

2:00-2:07 - Drags 5 defenders ~5 yards then proceeds to go nuts on the sideline, Down 20-0. At the end of a miserable game / season. That's All I need to see. Hope he's a JET for a long time.

Pretty sure we can give a second year WR at least a chance to get on the field before we tell him he can't catch and he's a bust of a project.

I mean we give our rookie draft picks plenty of time to see,... oh.. wait. nvm.

16. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I think Hill's hammy was not right since one of the early games in the season. He pulled up lame on almost every deep attempt through the middle of the season but gutted it out. I think the short routes were all he was good for at that point.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

if healthy but we aren't deep and if we lose Holmes and Hill again we'll be in the same spot as last year.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

true. but what team is deep enough to lose their 1 and 2 at any position?

19. BleedGreenDaily

Saying things is nice and all but we are still one of the worst teams when it comes to WR/TEs... Keeping the other team to 3 points won't matter when we can't even get to the red zone.

20. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

Keyshawn was ripped as a rookie because he caught the ball against his chest rather than with his hands. It was coached out of him. Wesley walker was ripped for dropping passes his first two seasons. It was coached out of him. I'd be ecstatic if Hill can have a career comparable to either of those two. Why wouldn't we be able to coach him the same way? He was unbelievably raw as a rookie, as we all knew. He has a great attitude, is hard-working and wants to get better. Why assume he 'll be a failure? Why not be a loyal fan and assume he'll be successful?