The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Haters gonna hate.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've got them beat ... I was bashing him before he even was a Jet. I don't think he's terrible, but I also don't think he's a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback; and what wins Super Bowls are Pro Bowl caliber QBs. I hope he proves me wrong.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What has won three of the past 6 Superbowls is a mediocre quarterback who either finds a way to turn it on for 4 games in the postseason or a mediocre QB surrounded by elite offensive talent... or a combo of both. So, this is wrong.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, I hope he turns into a good QB, hell I'll take mediocre at this point. That's better than Sanchez. The Patriots thought less of Tom Brady when they originally drafted him as a 6th round 3rd stringer. You never know. The Jets have had so much bad luck over the years, they are bound to strike gold eventually, right? I probably said something similar when they drafted Sanchez, but I swear it'll be this one! :)

#944 Barcs, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Which one are you calling mediocre? Roethlisberger or Eli?

Regardless ... why stop at the last 6 seasons? Let's run it back to the last 25 seasons - I count 5 mediocre Super Bowl winners at QB (7 if you insist on your dopey premise that Ben or Eli is mediocre).

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

College stats are virtually worthless in projecting how a college QB will do in the pro's. Even more worthless comparing stats from players in different conference's and systems.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he can throw every pass and he takes a pretty long stride into his throws. I need to see him make every pass before I believe he can. His outside up the field balls look like Pennington floaters. I would like to see if he can deliver the ball without that big stride. In the NFL that can spell INT's.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Fair enough. He seems to have the ability to me, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong if I was.

9. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I've noticed he doesn't set his feet sometimes and it's like he is still dropping back and throwing at the same time. Hopefully he can fix that and also he has to play under center and get comfortable taking snaps.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

yeah he has mechanical issues if you watch his film but his QB coach really fixed a ton and at his pro-day his footwork was much improved and his ball was a beauty that day. Geno still has some work to get done mechanics wise, he's 6'3 but plays like he's 6'1 but I think by the time MM and Lee are done we'll see a very good NFL quarterback

11. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

None of those things are facts. Just sayin'.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno Smith was a 2nd round pick. If he works out the Jets are golden. If he doesn't seem to be working out the Jets will get somebody else on board pretty quickly. 2nd round picks don't get 4 years to develop in a vacuum. The only reason Aaron Rodgers got 3 as a late 1st rounder was because the Packers had Favre in front of him and knew that when they drafted him.

The only QB drafted in this QB class who might have a team looking at him as a long-term developmental QB is Landry Jones. The rest of those guys were either drafted to play in a year or two or to be a backup.

Ryan Nassib was not drafted to replace Eli Manning. He was drafted to back him up.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This guy will get all the motivation he needs reading the papers. He's already getting bashed daily by the NY media, so if he isn't fired up already, not sure if he ever will.

Get to work, kid.

14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Now that you mentioned it prior to the draft when I didnt think we had a shot at landing Geno he did seem to play smaller than his height. I would of guessed he was like 6'1 just like you said he doesnt stand tall in the pocket at times. Especially in the NFL there will be times he has to step into a throw and have a heavy pass rush up the middle knowing he will get hit but he has to do it

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I really hope he can get more explosive in his legs and hips to help him drive the ball with more velocity when we go vertical.

If you ever seen Kaepernick thrown, it all comes from his legs and he fires that ball into the receiver, mainly because he played baseball, same with Russell Wilson. Geno reminds of them where he has tools and just needs to be "groomed" rather than Luck and RG3 who had it all, Luck more than RG3 but still.

I got a ton of faith in this kid, he's gonna shock the world

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If his jersey says G.Smith on the back I'm getting it, that shit looks bad ass

[​IMG]

17. Hooterdawg

Hooterdawg New Member

Geno is another Warren Moon headache. When Geno falls apart under NFL pressure, Moon will be screaming that the Jets didn't give him enough coaching, protection, or supporting cast. Expect one of Moon's ' black attack' in the near future.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

:lol:

funny however I see the Jets doing the opposite of what happen with Sanchez

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Do you think race is going to be a big issue during Geno Smith's tenure with the Jets?

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Did he really choose #7?

Thats my fav number