The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

well said and i agree. Most Suckchez fans are now anti-Geno rather then anti-Tebow.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like Peyton Manning. Is that what you're predicting? Also, does he have any flaws?

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I wasn't making any predictions, just answering the question of what I view as his skills. Obviously every player has flaws and weaknesses.

And Peyton Manning isn't as athletic as Smith.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

Oh, so he's better than Manning? Good to know. Super Bowl here we come!

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You said that, not me.

6. Unhappyjetsfan

If he has all of the same positive attributes, plus he's a better athlete ... and no additional flaws ... what other conclusion is there make based on your comments?

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You can't be serious. Tim Tebow is also more athletic than Peyton Manning. Manning probably has one of the best work ethics of anyone in any profession. That's why he's great.

I never said Geno had no flaws, you made that up too.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

What are they?

9. BleedGreenDaily

You need to break it down to understand peoples concern. Just saying those stats might make you happy but people that look in depth past just one line of stats see more then you do. Every QB has good stats but you need to break them down to see how hey got them, what the coach ran, play makers at the WR slot, and so much more.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Geno was taken in the second round. Of course he has flaws & the Jets recognize that (otherwise they would've taken him with pick #9 or pick #13).

So many of these complaints are what I'd expect to hear if Geno Smith was taken early in the first round. All QB outside early, round 1 are flawed but that doesn't mean you should avoid picking one if your gonna get good draft value.

11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

The scary thing is that a lot of people think they actually wanted to take Geno at the 13th spot but only if they got Austin at the 9th spot so he could have got the top receiver and a player he is familiar with. That's just speculation and, really, not sure if that's any better or worse than what we did end up with.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There is no evidence or indication of him being a poor decision maker. Haters are basing their claim that he "has never made decisions" on the fact that he played in the air raid offense part of his college career. Which is ... stupid.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

College & the pros is like apples & oranges. Sorry what I have seen from him he has less ability then MS to make quick proper snap decisions & that is not saying much. In fact I read that during interviews with some teams he was playing games on his cell phone. That came from the GMs interviewing him so I have to suspect there is something to those reports. If I were U I would back off your strident defense of him until you see him play in regular season games in other then a mop up role :sad:

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Stats are a good tool gauge players. It's not the end be all of being able to predict how a college kid will fair in the NFL but it is useful to help identify where and how the numbers were created.

Now Sanchez was a gamble IMO to move up and get after how much he DIDN"T play. We all know that. He had a good Jr year and the Jets reacted to a need.

This is playing out again only 4 years later. Now Geno is the target of a need affection. He had a highly productive Senior year. But he also had a heck of a Jr year as well. With that add in the additional two years of playing and already he is edging out Sanchez in experience.

But for all that? Geno's 4 years QB average is exactly the same as Sanchez's 3 years and to add insult to injury, Geno rates a lower TD percentage. Even further Geno's QB rating in his senior year matches Mark's Jr year before they entered the draft.

So what does this prove? To me it's quantity doesn't always match quality. I think we are looking at identical QB's, on paper anyway. It's obvious now Mark should have stayed in college and for Geno? Well only time will tell. Will Rex give him a green light to light up the skies? And will the Jets give him weapons to mass produce like he is used to. And when he can't how will he take it? That's the million dollar question.

Geno vs Mark in their last college seasons;
    [​IMG]

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If yardage and TD are inflated in college stats, one thing that should also increase is INTs.

I think the fact that Geno has thrown single digits interceptions in college bodes well for his NFL career - he doesn't appear to be careless with the ball.

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

given the increased number of pass attempts for Smith it seems deceiving to compare the two.

he has a higher completion rate in more throws, thats gotta mean something right?

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Not a big fan of a pure numbers comparison like this but a couple of things here.
    1) Geno has a nearly 1/3rd interception rate than Sanchez. That's significant.

2) When I watch the college highlights of the players there are two things that I see on Sanchez highlights a lot more often than Geno highlights. 1 a clean pocket, and 2 a broken coverage/wide open receiver.

18. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Well it's really nice that we got Geno in the 2nd round rather than trading up for him in the 1st. That, alone, should stop the Geno to Sanchez comparisons.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Why are Jets fans bashing Geno Smith before he's played a single down in the NFL? We got great value picking him in the 2nd, even if he doesn't work out right away. I can't believe how hasty people are to judge. Simmer down, people. Simmer down. I know many of you have that 'sky is falling' mentality, but give it a friggin rest. This is like high school drama.

20. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Oh no! He expressed hatred for my religion! What am I to do?? What next, threaten to beat me up through your computer screen? I'm so scared...

He's going to be the starter this year. You can sit here and pick him apart until opening day and it won't change a thing. These are the facts and nothing you write will change it. I am not saying anything to you about his skills or athletic tools. I am telling you that he is the starter and he is definitely the future of the franchise. This whole draft will be judged by him. Idzik will be judged by him and his success or failure will determine the future of the entire franchise. These are all FACTS. And somehow, in your meticulous lists about him, you keep leaving those critical FACTS out.

So again, you have to just deal with it. Even if you keep typing about him here, it won't change a thing and you'll deal. You have no other option.