The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Good point.

NFL exec Of the Buffalo Bills comments Geno Smith is the black Ryan Leaf.

I can picture it now

2. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Dan Marino was plagued by rumors of drug use; which is why he fell in the 83 draft.
    Obviously, they were overstated, or unfounded, and did not effect his NFL career at all.
    Geno is being subjected tyo the same kind of character assasination; before he's even
    played a single down in the pros.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

QFT....QFT indeed.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe the drugs made Marino better?

5. Why does there need to be all this drama? I think it is a joke the way the media is covering the Jets.

Smith had a bad visit or 2 & a couple teams didn't like him. Big deal. Happens alot especially at QB where teams are constantly over analyzing the prospect's personality.

6. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Sure:

- he's a system QB
    - he's not accurate on intermediate throws
    - he hasnt had to read a defense or go through progressions
    - he played one top 50 defense all year and was inneffective
    - he is a fumble machine
    - his mechanics are average
    - he's immature
    - he's arrogant

He was the best QB of a historically bad bunch. Maybe.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't ask you for a list of negatives I asked you to tell us what skills he is lacking since you claimed he was lacking skills.

BTW, at least half of that list is bullshit.

8. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

And he's going to be our starter and future of our franchise. You keep leaving that out in your "fact sheet." But sooner or later, you're going to have to just deal with it.

9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Which is weird because in some of the draft write ups of Geno pre-draft that wrote up reading the field and defenses as one of his strengths because of the offense they run.

10. GoldenShowers

And also a back from the dead man born from a virgin is going to come down and burn all the non believers. Equal likelihood of happening.

As far as "skills", what do you want me to say? He can run and throw? Every single college QB has those skills. NFL QB is the most elite athletic position in the world. At any given time there are only a dozen or so actually great ones. He has a million red flags.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So what you meant was that he has red flags, not that he's lacking skills?

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I'll go with decision making. If U think MS gets brain lock just wait to GS faces a NFL D :sad:

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Smith has not yet brought the VLT to the NYJ :sad:

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The silver lining in this is the Gm made a good football decision that could prove to be a great one or can be fixed at next years draft. Geno got picked where Sanchez should have. High reward low risk. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. There are warning signs. He did not slip to the second rd by accident.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The kid seems to understand defenses and how to make decisions based on what they do. At least he talks a good game in that regard.

His td to int rate certainly doesn't indicate a poor decision maker either.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes he does which is why he was a second rounder. The jets have the luxury (with this market maybe not) to not have to start Geno and bring him along slowly.

Just as Tebow before him for Geno to see the field he will have to perform in practice. Until then we have Sanchez and Garrard.

17. GoldenShowers

Throwing an intermediate pass is a skill. So is reading a defense, and protecting the football. Do you not agree?

I mean what "skills" does he possess? His accuracy is par for the course in that system. He's not a running QB like Cam or RG3, though he has some speed. He has a strong arm and threw for a bunch of yards. Do you know how many QBs those skills can be attributed to???

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

A point has to be made here. Since we haven't drafted him at #9 or #13 it means obviously the Jets are aware he has some flaws... that said they're taking a flier on a QB in rd 2, it's not like he HAS to be a franchise QB or he's a bust!

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Could just be teams like the Bills, Dolphins, Pats, etc. trying to keep us down by sowing seeds of doubt and controversy. Or his former agents are really pissed about it but that seems unlikely as they probably have dozens if not hundreds of clients and would risk losing a lot of them by acting like this.

I'll admit I'm not overly fond of the Geno pick but I don't think it's fair to assassinate his character if these things being said aren't true. Like people keep saying this doesn't really jive with the Gruden stuff which, honestly, is the most impressive footage I've seen of him so far as he seemed relatively intelligent, respectful and said all the rights things. But prospects these days are heavily coached to say the right things so I take anything that any of them (or any player at any stage of their career for that matter) with a rather large grain of salt.

Again, I'm anti-Geno but I'll say this: Bottom line is none of this stuff matters. It doesn't matter if he didn't want to come back for the 2nd round, it doesn't matter if he fired his agents for the wrong reasons (it's his choice anyway so who are we to judge?), it doesn't matter if he's just been coached to say the right things and he doesn't believe it himself, it doesn't matter if he didn't care for a few teams he was visiting because maybe he knew they had no intention of drafting him and were using it as a scouting opportunity. What matters is what he does on the field and whether or not he can be a leader in the locker room. That's it.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

- strong arm, can throw every NFL pass
    - accurate passer, willing and able to throw into tight windows
    - very good deep ball
    - very good short ball
    - touch passer when necessary
    - reading a defense and adjusting the play at the LOS
    - very athletic
    - pocket presense
    - makes defenders miss