The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Weird how he was over 80% for some of the season and still finished over 70%. God, if he can't keep up 80%, he must be inaccurate as all hell.

2. BleedGreenDaily

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He completed 64.8% of his passes for 24 TD's and 7 Int's as a sophomore before the Air Raid was installed.

4. BleedGreenDaily

You need to watch out when you say things like these. Over 1/3 of his passes were screens behind the line of scrimmage. Lots of Padding for completion %.

#864 BleedGreenDaily, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

2010 they ran a much different offense, predicated on the running game and making reads and as a true sophomore, I'd say those are some great numbers.

2011 season was a rocky one early in WVU, a new coach and system, lots of transfers and what not. I remember at one point Geno was the only QB on the roster and Holgerson was reaching out for walk-ons in case he got hurt!! A whole hell of a lot was put on Geno Smith's shoulders that year.

2012 - a switch to a new conference, never easy. I like that he was exposed to perhaps more brands of defenses, different weather situations, etc than your average College QB.

Those numbers above show that he is an accurate QB that protects the ball. Very good for WCO.

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I had forgotten the specifics honestly, i just remember some saying he can't hit well from beyond the LoS and that his numbers were inflated with short passes and such.

watching his games now, i see that loud and clear. its his ability to work under pressure that most impresses me about him, next to his ability to learn what was a pretty large set of plays.

I get the feeling he can be pretty flexible when he needs to be, he won't force bad throws he knows how to best get out of a scenario. he's been forced to learn how to that quite a bit.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

And the current QB can't hit those throws so what is the problem?

8. BleedGreenDaily

Sigh... Don't worry about it then.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I read that a few days ago and think it's very telling.

I said leading up to the draft when I watched highlights of Smith it seemed more like highlights of Bailey and Austin as he would just throw a little 5 yard slant or whatever and thent he receiver would take off for 30 yards, eluding tackles or getting really good blocks.

That's all well and good but we don't have receivers that can do that, at least not this year. That being said we will probably be throwing to RBs a lot more this year and Smith will be better at that than Sanchez. That's a given.

I think part of the problem with the pro-Geno camp is that they just see Geno as being better than Sanchez and then immediately say that it's a good pick. I think Geno could quite likely be better than Sanchez but that's not the issue, lots of QBs are better than Sanchez...virtually all of them, really. The issue is that myself and other people you might consider anti-Geno just don't think he's the franchise guy who can win us a Super Bowl, which is what this is all about.

So if we couldn't get a franchise guy this year we should have picked a project guy in the 4th or 5th round, hell I think Dysert went in the 7th. Stuck with Garrard or Sanchez this year and probably tanked and tried to get a franchise QB next year. If not then the year after that, all the while building a good supporting cast that when you plug in the franchise guy he'll be able to step in and make a huge difference. I'd rather wait three or four years with crap at QB to get a franchise guy we can build a championship calibre team and compete for the SB on numerous occasions than draft a bunch of mediocre guys for the next 10 years hoping that one of them catches lightning in a bottle and we somehow go all the way. But that's just me.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I'm serious. A QB that can consistently hit screens and throws at or behind the line would work wonders for you guys, especially with Santonio. Plus you are exaggerating. But you knew that.

11. BleedGreenDaily

I wasn't exaggerating 33% of his passes were behind the line of scrimmage.

12. Br4d

Ok, I read it and came away thinking that Smith was a very good 2nd round pick.

I'm not just going to say that though, I'm going to give you reasons why.

His adjusted completion percentage according to their analysis was 66.6% for the season. This surpassed everybody who was drafted except for E.J. Manuel. Once they normalized his games for the range of the passes he beat Matt Barkley by nearly 5%. He beat Ryan Nassib by 6%. He beat people like Matt Scott by 8% and Tyler Bray by 11%.

In other words Geno Smith was a very accurate QB last year, something that we all saw even if the Air Raid seemed to fluff the stat some.

The other guy who was close to Smith was Landry Jones, who I also thought was a good value pick from the 2nd round onwards. He also fell because of attitude concerns. Smith and Jones are probably the two best QB's to come out of this class. Manuel is right up there with them also.

Now, the peripheral stuff that is important. The study did not chart all games for all QB's. We don't know which games they charted and which they did not. There could be a blind factor involved that prevents the study from being an accurate portrayal of the QB's abilities to complete passes.

One other thing that is interesting is that the analysts thought Smith threw a gorgeous deep ball. For the games they charted he had the 2nd highest completion percentage on passes 30 yards and over. This bodes well for playing in Marty M's WCO which features a deep-striking vertical component to force the defense to defend the sideline to sideline WCO staples as well as the deep ball.

Smith and Marty M might well be the perfect fit. If Geno actually throws a superior deep ball and is good at hitting his checkdowns it would explain why Marty M came away so excited after meeting him.

#872 Br4d, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I believe nothing from unnamed sources or unnamed NFL execs

Idzik would not have drafted him first of all

second, everything being said is all paraphrased from that Nolan Nawrocki character assassinating cunt

and last every report is saying the same thing, no one is doing any research, Manish took Yahoo! report and flipped the words then added he was tweeting during visits

But when you do simple research

he didn't even tweet between April 4th and April 23rd, when everyone was on visits, so take what they say with a grain of salt

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

There you go cluttering up the argument with facts. Don't you know that the real truth lies in anonymous sources or the treasured opinions of self-appointed "experts" (aka hacks)

15. BleedGreenDaily

I just don't want Geno to start and I have the feeling that will happen.

16. Br4d

If Geno is good do you want him to start or not?

It's looking a lot like the Jets found a good QB in the 2nd round who might be a great one. I'm just not sure what your agenda is in hoping that he doesn't start.

Don't you want to wait and see who the best QB is in camp?

Don't you hope that Geno is better than you apparently think he is?

Wouldn't you be overjoyed if he turned out to be that rare thing, a franchise QB?

17. BleedGreenDaily

He needs to learn before he starts. I would rather have him as backup and not rush him out like the Jets have proven to do.

18. Br4d

You didn't answer the questions though.

If Geno is good do you want him to start or not?

Don't you want to wait and see who the best QB is in camp?

Don't you hope that Geno is better than you apparently think he is?

Wouldn't you be overjoyed if he turned out to be that rare thing, a franchise QB?

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What behavior? You don't have a clue of what kind of guy Geno is in the locker or on the field. There is no indication that he was a cancer at WV or didn't do anything he was asked to do by the coaches. You are like an old women listening to gossip 3rd hand.

If he turns out to be a cancer who sucks our investment isn't all that great and you can give us an "I told you so" If he turns out to be a great NFL QB you can say I was the first one to believe in him.

He hasn't played a down of NFL QB. All this BS is meaningless garbage. Can he see the field, does he understand what the defense is doing, can he make the throws accurately, can he feel the pressure and move in a manner that keeps him in throwing position and in position to see down the field?

Joe played drunk and lead us to a SB. Rothlisberger was and is a POS and lead his team to 2 SB. Tom Brady acts like a spoiled, entitled bitch when his wr drop a pass. It's all BS, nobody cares once your either lighting it up or being lit up.

20. dex13

dex13 New Member

think this is the "behavior issue" people are talking about.
    http://nesn.com/2013/05/geno-smith-...hich-may-have-caused-slide-into-second-round/