The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I don't think Geno is Drew's type of guy.
    He's not from South Florida and he wasn't a first rounder, so the money isn't as big.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Scout the QB not the system, RG3 came from a spread offense and no one said a peep and the only thing he really has over Geno is speed and slightly improved mechanics(due to pro coaching and seasoning which Geno will get)

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I bet Geno is up right now with his nose in that playbook, the kid loves football

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Geno sounded on the ball with Gruden. So he is not Shakespeare. Neither was Joe Namath. The only concern I have is that he has a sensitive side that you can see. A lot of young QBs have it. I would prefer not to see it way out there. But he can deal with it.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's definitely going to have to grow a thicker skin coming into the metro area. This is a problem that a lot of young players have. QB's have to manage it quicker than others because they don't get the keys until they've shown they can handle driving in bad weather.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Geno is from South Florida

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah Geno is from Miami

8. BleedGreenDaily

Maybe he was looking at the map the wrong way and thought Miami was north Florida?

9. Br4d

If you play QB as a freshman in high school in Miami you are a hell of a prospect.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Out of high school

Scout:4/5 stars Rivals:4/5 stars ESPN grade: 81
    Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 12 (QB) Rivals: 3 (Dual-threat QB) ESPN: 8 (QB)

11. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

And he wound up at WVU bc he didn't have the grades for the big programs that recruit down there. And didn't have the desire to improve them.

12. NewYorkEveryThing

If geno was white.. He would have been the #1 pick. His defense was horrid in WV. Every game h came back and the defense would just return the favor and give anther one back!

He had to put up 70 just to get by baylor! And they almost lost that game.
    Look @ WV record last season. The Numbers this guy put up were amazing.
    Granted TAVON is a beast but he got stedman drafted higher then he would have.
    Even the 3rd WR he had woods was catching bombs from geno!

It is a different day! More ethnic players are gonna play QB and win these days.

I say this because I judged before based on ethnic players from the past that never won a SB except doug williams . Every player is his own person and I feel like if a ethnic QB doesn't BLOW away scouts with a cannon arm and a fast runner, Then they put them in a unfair category. Geno got skills and he will prove them wrong!!

13. Br4d

Geno Smith got offers from Florida State, Boston College and Alabama. He probably chose WVU because it offered him a clearer path to the starting position.

It's harder to get info on his grades but he reported a 2.8 GPA and a 1390 SAT to Scout.com. He attended WVU as an English major not the typical degree in Communications.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If Dan Marino was black the Jets wouldn't have drafted him.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He chose WVU because his high school head coach, Damon Cogdell, was a star linebacker at WVU in the 1990s (hip injury cut his career short)... nothing more than that.

The previous post (not yours) about not having the grades for "top programs down there" is false on so many levels. Firstly, since when are those schools, Florida St., Miami, any SEC school known for their strong academic requirements for football? They push anyone through just like WVU. Secondly, you are right he had a myriad of offers and basically could've went anywhere. He just had the WVU connection.

16. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Anyone who actually follows college ball and recruiting knows that WVU is basically like a JUCO for good players who didn't have the coursework in HS to be accepted to the major BCS schools. Schools like UGA, UF, Miami, OSU, USC, are actually top 50 academic institutions and they will not take a kid who didn't complete the proper coursework in HS. the sliding scale is not used at all schools either.

17. Br4d

This is a bullshit post though. You posted that Geno Smith went to WVU because he didn't have the grades for the "big programs" that recruit down there.

I responded by pointing out that he got offers from Florida State, Boston College and Alabama, a plethora of "big programs" that recruit in Miami.

You then listed a bunch of big schools that Geno Smith might or might not have had the grades to get into, although on the surface it appears as though he'd have waltzed into all of them.

You carefully ignored the fact that Alabama, the biggest program in the country the last 5 years, recruited Geno.

You're wrong in your central thesis, which is that Geno had to go to WVU because he only had JUCO level academic skills. That you are sticking to that thesis despite the evidence above suggests to me that you are either not open to new information when it is presented to you, or alternately biased against Geno or the Jets for other reasons.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So since you've been called on your bullshit about the grades, where did you come up with the "he didn't have the desire" bit? I'm guessing you made that up too.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Does race still play a role though when it comes to getting a NFL QB?

I dont want to go off topic or start anything, but based on Geno's performance my gut just tells me if he was indeed white he'd be the #1 pick.

3 years of upward trending stats
    Big time performances, Bowl winner
    42 TD's 7 INT's

Just a thought

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

its a good thought. i just completed a study that im handing in today about college students perceptions of race and the results were quite shocking. i really didnt think that people were as prejudiced as they turned out to be.

i dont udnerstand how anyone can simply say hes a product of the system, when its not a program that has been dominating the ncaa... geno is a baller and he makes great decisions with the ball, he has a good chance at beomcing something special behind center.