Offensive Line 2013-2014

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 30, 2013.

1. PJDA

PJDA New Member

Can any of these guys snap the ball if Mangold goes down?

2. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Don't bet on Austin being "handed" the job. Idz mentality is competition at all positions so Campbell, Winters, Oday, Vlad, & Peterman have just as much chance to beat out Colon & Austin, and fill out the LG pos. I think Nick & Brick are in there without much chance of being beaten out but the other three spots are open. The losers get to be backups.

How did we end up with a 2nd guy who's name mentions the rectum on the OLine?

(Colon Baxter & Willie Colon -> I know its Colin Baxter but he played like such shit I can't spell it unless its meant to look like asshole)

3. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

I like that starting front, except that I'm not sure Aboushi projects as a RT or could start there Day 1. So it will probably be Howard. But I definitely like the idea of having Winters develop in between the two experienced vets Brick and Mangold.

4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I watched a little tape of Oday Aboushi, and he moves pretty well for a guy whose 6'6" 310 pounds.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Who exactly believed that!?

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Ferguson, LT - Mangold, C are set as starters.
    Howard is a very probably the starter at RT (90%) but he's only a 1 yr starter and faces a little competition from Aboushi.

Colon, LG - Peterman, RG are "starters" as of now (one because of skill, the other one because of experience) but they face competition from Winters, Ducasse and Campbell who could all surprise. And considering one is injury prone, the other declining with age who knows...

All in all I'm very happy we solidified our OL. I don't have a personal opinion on Winters, Aboushi and Campbell but I trust the scouting dept.
    Ducasse is in his make it or break it year (imo he'll break it an be out of the league come September) and Schaluderaff is still the back-up C and will be on the roster.

Ferguson - Colon - Mangold - Winters - Howard is my best bet as starters.
    Aboushi - Peterman - Schaluderaff will be the back-ups.
    Campbell will be on the practice squad this year with hopes on him taking Peterman's spot next year.

#26 Mambo9, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  7. 73klecko

73klecko Member

If I'm Ducasse I'm worried about making the team after they signed two guards and drafted two. Things don't boad well for him.

We have depth although unproven but who plays C if Mangold goes down and who plays LT if D'Brick goes down? That's the concern for me. I think Howard would have to go to LT as it stands now and I have no idea who plays C because nobody has done it (not sure about Peterman).

Also, the young guys will all be playing new positions. Winters played LT in college but his arms are too short and he is not a great athlete so he is moving inside to OG. He only did 9 reps at the combine so that concerns me.

Oday is moving from LT to RT or even inside to OG because he's simply not a good athlete.

Campbell is converting from defense.

Hopefully it all works out. We have a lot of options but still a lot of questions.

When should we talk about TE, S and OLB where currently we have Jeff Cumberland, Josh Bush and Garrett McIntyre slated to start (I don't think anyone knows those names outside of Jet nation).

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

We still have Schaluderaff as the backup C don't we?

9. 73klecko

73klecko Member

If we are relying on Schlauderaff for backup C that means not only does he make the team but he is active on gameday. Slauson was the backup C last year.

Most teams only keep 7 lineman active for the game. One backup interior guy and one backup OT.

Jason Smith and Vlad were the actives last year.

10. Cmart24

Cmart24 New Member

Don't forget Colon has experience at RT. If Wayne Hunter struggles, they could move Colon there. Jets may not want to start a rookie on the line and end up starting Vlad, Peterman at G and Colon, Brick at T.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Wafne Hunter? Welcome to 2013 buddy :p

12. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

klecko: Winters tore his pec muscle doing the bench at the combine so he stopped. I have no idea how many he could actually do to be fair. What I love is we have multiple real options and some position versatility. We have shown in Rex's first two years that a good line/running game with his defense can compete, even with a green or not so great QB. Many one year deals for these guys also brings out their best. I think you will see us continue to build the line and draft a QB each year until we find one that works.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I hope. I am not so sold on Geno Smith frankly. I would hope he proves me wrong one day - but then I had such hope on Sanchez for far too long already.

14. Cmart24

Cmart24 New Member

Meant Austin Howard, no idea why I said Wayne Hunter. You'd think he'd be the last person on my mind to start on the offensive line.

15. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

BIG VLAD! He gets so much undeserved shit around here, and last season he was pretty solid.

16. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Thanks for the news on the torn pec. I was not aware of that.

17. Lovetheflighteam

Lovetheflighteam New Member

No one here has even mentioned Popek. Popek played Right and left tackle at USF. How can we overlook a guy that is 6 ft 7. He and Howard are the biggest guys on the team. Popek played every game except, three when he had a injured ankle from a lineman rolling over it. Skip Holtz moved him to guard his senior year, and then moved him back to tackle when Holtz gave up on the season. We better not overlook this guy! He's flying under everyone's radar right now! We got a bargain with this guy!

18. Lovetheflighteam

Lovetheflighteam New Member

Popek may have been signed as a guard but he played tackle, both right and left, at USF. The guard move was a Skip Holtz idea after the guy he recruited couldn't cut it. They put Popek at guard just as the season started but then moved him back to tackle. Let's see where the Jets use him-guard or tackle, left or right. Pretty versatile guy! Yet no one is talking about him. Hmmmm....

19. 73klecko

73klecko Member

What's up Popek. Good luck to you.

20. NFL

NFL Active Member

My prediction is that the line goes like this: Ferguson, Winters, Mangold, Colon, Howard

I think that Vlad starts to get some snaps at RG and at the end of the year is starting in place of Colon. Vlad wasn't too bad last year, and he's a solid run blocker.