The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Geno Smith roll out was managed very poorly from start to finish. They didn't prepare him well for the process and he wound up sticking out like a sore thumb a few times as a result.

By the time of the draft his stock was fluid enough that he should never have accepted the offer to sit in the green room at the draft. Given everything else that had gone on to that point having him in the green room was just going to increase the chances of a melt down.

They probably let him go to NY because they thought there was a chance he was still a very high pick, but realistically he wasn't. If the Jets passed on him at 13 he was probably dropping all the way to the top of the 2nd.

2. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

BenVolinPBP Per @MMehtaNYDN Geno Smith fired his agent because he thought he was going to be No. 1 overall pick. He'll fit in with Jets juuuuust fine...
    14 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What makes you think Smith doesn't have a good head on his shoulders?

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Dumb shit like this = http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...fter-sliding-out-of-the-first-round-of-the-nf

Any ass hat who fires his agents because he wasn't the first overall pick or high in the first round has mental issues. This only goes to bolster my declining feelings about the young man when he was going to temper tantrum his way out of Radio City before being "convinced" to come back by his supporters. He doesn't have the stones, from what I see, to handle an NFL QB job...let alone in NY.

5. Br4d

The funny thing is that the rag on Manuel is that he doesn't have a great head for football. Excellent athlete who is unpolished as a passer and doesn't possess great instincts for the position was pretty close to the consensus.

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

LOLOLOLOL, you're citing Manish's 'anonymous sources' again. You do realize he's trying to stir the pot, don't you? Nope, you are probably waiting for something to bash our new QB with.

At least Geno seems to actually care about what he's doing both on and off the field.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Geno's "issues" are maturity based. Not only can they be fixed but I think(hope) he'll grow out of them.

Manuel's mental issues are more football based. Leading up to the draft, I can't remember who it was but a top analyst described it as "slow eyes." It makes a lot of sense because physically he's very impressive but he struggles with reads and finding the open man. They said he struggles beyond his first read. This is scary to me and reminds me of Mark Sanchez.

8. Br4d

In the entire process from before the combine to the draft how much positive news flow did you hear about Geno Smith? How much negative stuff?

That's on the agents. They're not just there to negotiate a contract for him, as you know. They're there to create a high-level space for him in the draft.

Where was Jarvis Jones a couple of days before the draft? He was in NYC getting some very favorable publicity from an endorsement deal that he had signed with Subway. He was doing this in a way that generated buzz around him and that generally smoothed off some of the rough edges.

The talk around Jarvis Jones at the draft wasn't "doesn't work hard enough", "self-centered", "money-focused", all of which were background memes for him coming out of school. The talk wasn't around his bad combine and pro-day. His representation went way out of their way to put Jarvis Jones into a situation where all the negative background stuff became background stuff instead of who he was on draft day.

The situation around Geno Smith has been a publicity nightmare from the moment the process started. People have been allowed to define him, poke him, prod him, keyhole him, essentially define who they think he is instead of the guy that is actually there. There's been no push back against that at all. It's like the guy didn't have agents creating a media strategy for him in the cut-throat world of QB draft politics.

There was literally millions of dollars at stake and Geno Smith was taking body blow after body blow from people who were just trying to take #1 down so their guy could move up and profit.

I'm not surprised Geno Smith fired his agents. I'm just really surprised he didn't do it in March when things like the Nawrocki piece emerged.

9. Br4d

Sanchez is exactly who I was thinking of in comparison to Manuel with one very important difference: Manuel is a really good athlete.

10. mezzavo

You, sir, clearly haven't been around here long enough to think I would put up something I hadn't verified through multiple channels. Here's another example for you: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-geno-smith-fires-agents-over-draft-fall-175616128.html

MM is simply the one I copied at the time. Clearly post count does not dictate...ummm...yeah. Smith will have to earn my praise and respect just like all the picks before him. Unfortunately, for this tool he has started out bad in my eyes and has a long ways to go to earn my admiration and respect.

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

You're joking right?

I HATE Manish as much as anyone (blocked me on twitter for chewing him out) but he isn't "stirring the pot."

get a clue.

12. mezzavo

Valid points my man...which is why I bolded that last part. He appears to lack intelligence or savvy or something. Whatever it is, it was personified on draft day when he tantrumed and wasn't going to show up for day two. That one minor incident told me a whole lot about his character.

13. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Dam, whats he gonna do with out your respect? might as well just close the book on this guy.

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

hard to criticize either side without the whole story. did his agent gaurantee him if he got hired he would make him the #1 pick and then convicne him and have it blow up in his face?

or was geno just a punk

hard to say

15. 518

518 Member

Hey fellas, say what you want....Geno is ultra competitive and HATES to lose.....chip on his shoulder....completely different from the "Golden Child Mark Sanchez" from southern Cal.. I think his attitude is a plus if you ask me. Dude is pissed off. As much as I hate Tom Brady, dude always looks pissed off and intense, he is a perfectionist. I'm not comparing the two ability wise at all... however the dude has something to prove and I really like that about him because it fits the 2013 New York Jets theme, "everyone has something to prove on this team", including the HC and GM.

16. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Bro you are wild, he was embarrassed on national TV why should he show up for the second day of the draft. What would be the positive of that, i think it shows a lot of balls to show up for round two after thinking you'd be a first round pick. You sound like Mike Francesa clone

17. mezzavo

Annndd....we have another clown chiming in. If you do not think these players want the respect of the fans then you are deeply kidding yourself. THAT is what they CRAVE...they want the respect and love of the fans. It's the rare player who could care less and those are the sociopaths in the bunch.

18. mezzavo

No I don't. He knew it was going to be a crap shoot...trust me they read all the press. Don't park your ass in the fryer if you can't handle the heat. And if you show up then you show up until you get drafted. You don't stomp off then have to be convinced by your "supporters" it "looks" bad if you tantrum off.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong...he just doesn't appear to me to have the spine to play in the NY Market. Just my opinion.

19. 518

518 Member

I agree with you there brother, put yourself on his shoes....everyone and their mother telling you you are first round grade and you get passed up over EJ Manuel. I would be pissed too. Again, like I said before earlier in this thread I think it is a positive. He is pissed and let him take that to Florham Park to get better and better.

20. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Yeah well lets base our respect when hits the practice field and on Sundays. Not on news stories in April based on what seems to be speculation. Its almost like you want him to fail. How about you wait and see what the kid is all about instead of posting news stories about this kids character. Cause that would take too much effort and thinking for yourself, wouldnt wanna do that now , would we?