When will Jet fans turn on Idzik, Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rajensen088, Apr 30, 2013.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't at all. The only people putting a lot on Geno's plate are the fans that don't understand what rebuilding and developing is. Luckily we have a GM in place that clearly knows how to rebuild. It's not his or Geno's fault that certain fans can't comprehend it.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The Sanchez just sucks........just sucks thread is that way-->

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

And I just double checked your math on the 3 title games for Flacco.
    In the 3 title game loses the none of the points allowed was off a turnover.
    in the 3 losses the Ravens allowed 23, 30, 31..in what world does that equate to the Ravens D only allowing an 17Ppg average? or are you adopting handicapping now?

that's an average of 28 points allowed in the 3 championship games...not the 17 you claim.

So again Junc, you swing and MiSSS!

Gonna call you broken shutter, cause your just swinging in the breeze.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

There is little pressure on Geno/Idzik this year...People please

5. Tom

Tom Member

He never said we were going to the playoffs this year, he just said were going to the playoffs, so I guess he technically has til the end of his Jets career to take us to a playoff game

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You need to remove D/STs pts. Flacco's D scored 14 pts(7 at Miami '08 WC, 7 at Pitt '10 div rd). Total points: 130. divide that by 7 and you'll ave your true #

you do know in those years Bal never won a game where the D allowed more than 14? The average pts allowed by our D in playoff wins was 16, in those first 7 playoff games for Bal the avg they allowed was 10.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

this whole reading that you mighty flustered. Have someone who can read go over it w/ you.

8. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Are you serious?

This is New York...there's always pressure.
    I think there's little to no pressure on Geno. I think he has at best one season grace period, after that all bets are off.

As for Idzik, I think the decision not to draft more players in the skilled positions on offensive side of the ball will come under scrutiny if the Jets struggle.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The metro area media is always going to churn around the Jets. There's just no getting away from that.

That said, I doubt Idzik catches much heat for this year's draft from informed commentators. Rebuilding by drafting meat and potatoes is a well-defined strategy that most people agree with. Layering in the fixings after that is a common course of action and odds are that 2014 will be about sprucing up the offense once the structure is in place.

The Jets expectations this year are not high, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. The only way that the Jets and Idzik catch heat is if a bad injury run depletes the available talent to the point that the Jets can't compete with other teams at their level.

Even then the Jets can point to a 2011 5th round pick and a 2012 2nd and 7th round picks as people brought in recently to try to fix things. They can point at a high-priced free agent in his prime as another guy they had on hand. If several people drop out due to injury, well there isn't much to do about that, it happens to every NFL team and generally puts them in a bad spot when it occurs.

One other important thing: now that the Jets are running a WCO they will have much better options to fill with left-over free agents if they get hit by the injury bug in camp. Lots of players know the WCO, whereas very few understood The Mutant or Sparano's Black Hole.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This nails it. The fans know the approach, but the media is going to try to incite the fans to be impatient. A success next year will be solid QB play from whoever, young players stepping up, no ridiculous signings, and competitive football in 14/16 games of the season. The record shouldn't matter in the long run.

Yeah let's move this over there. Because it's the same argument as over there.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we could go 2-14 and jets fans wouldnt turn on idzik/smith. i dont think many jets fans realistically thinks we can make the playoffs. and the ones who do probably have us sneaking in by the most narrow of margins.

you are talking about a fan base where some still support mark fcking sanchez... you think they are turning on a rookie QB/GM halfway through year one?

it would take minimum 2.5 seasons and horrific results for that to happen

12. jerseyjay14

he wont win playoff games because we wont get there.

we wont have the #3 defense, #1 run game, and #1 spcial teams like we did in 2009. therefore we wont make the playoffs and he wont have a chance to win playoff games.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The local media will pick apart everything that he does.
    A large percentage of Jets fans will pick apart everything that he does.
    The national media will pick apart everything that he does.

The issue is whether he can be a solid NFL quarterback in spite of that constant barrage of "Geno sucks because .... " crap. He needs to have a thick skin and not give a shit what people say about him.

14. jerseyjay14

Zero. our defense, run game, and special teams beat those QBs.

15. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

This should go over real well.

BenVolinPBP Per @MMehtaNYDN Geno Smith fired his agent because he thought he was going to be No. 1 overall pick. He'll fit in with Jets juuuuust fine...
    14 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

16. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this season the same way I looked at '09. I have hope without expectations. In 2010 there was expectation, but the first time we made it to the AFC Championship game I was just so damn happy to be there I really didn't care. Hell I was happy we made it in at all.

Honestly now that we're not likely bad enough to "drown for the clown" and taking Bridgewater's unlikely even if we're semi-terrible, I'm not even sure what to root for.

7-9 or 6-10 sounds about right, but when it's over I am not going to call for anyone's head. Idzik has us on the right track. Any good that comes out of this year is gravy.

17. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

I see Geno Smith's playoffs proclamation as nothing more than getting caught up in the moment. Getting the team back on track is not going to happen overnight.

It should be a season of laid back watching of football with very little increase in blood pressure. Anyone expecting instant success would be better off skipping the season.

I want to see signs of improvement but I'm not expecting miracles and certainly won't be asking for anyone's head this year.

18. jerseyjay14

why are you comparing sanches first 6 vs. flaccos first 7? why not just compare the first 6 for each QB?

either way, sanchez did nothing and his defense/special teams/run game carried him. you have sanchez "leading the jets offense" to 20.6 points per game. but he really didint. the run game moved the ball and scored the bulk of the touchdowns. not to mention the kick return scores either.

19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I agree...if the staff is wise enough to follow thru...Mark gives us the best chance to win for 2013 and I expect that to be the case.

20. jerseyjay14

he absolutely was no a huge part.

throwing for 100 yards and an interception while your run game gives you 175 yards and touchdown, the defense forces 3 turnovers and gets a huge stop late isnt "playing a huge part"