TE..our glaring need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KJet84, Apr 30, 2013.

1. KJet84

KJet84 Member

While I think Cumberland is serviceable for a TE, our glaring need is still a decent TE. I actually like our receiving corps and I believe that even with the drops, Hill can turn into a solid receiver. However, we need a TE that actually deserves getting some attention from opposing defenses and has some experience. If you look at our new OC, he's turned TE's like Brent Celek into high producers. Is there anyone on the market that makes sense for us to pickup?? Anyway that Tony Moeki gets cut by Chiefs now that they have Fasano?

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I actually thinking Celek will be cut after the eagles drafted ertz bc of celeks salary. I expect th Jets to address this position come June 1st.

3. pender30

pender30 Member

Is there any chance Hayden Smith has progressed enough to play meaningful snaps this year? You have to love this blurb from rotoworld:

4. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Good thread. I really hope they address the tight end position.

They don't need to find a long term answer, but I would like to grab a tight end that can make some plays this year.

5. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

That would be awesome. I love those cinderella/out of the box success stories.

Also we could have a haka as a pre game ritual. :)

6. JetNotts

JetNotts Member

Would be strange for an Australian don't you think?

7. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

The All Blacks would disagree

8. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Actually thats new zealand, but not too far off ;)

9. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

There was a pretty good one in Eifert ripe for the picking but we passed him over for an oft injured, small DT with little experience that we'll use at best as a rotational player.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i agree with turk.a june 1st cap casualty or a veteran during t.c. cut downs will shake loose. and we will roundout the depth chart that way.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope Hayden Smith is a diamond in the rough TE waiting for his chance to shine. But until proven otherwise we need a solid veteran in place maybe someone like Kevin Boss. BTW don't sleep on Cumberland he could have a potential breakout season.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

John Idzik: "We look at free agency as a need-based operation and we look at the draft as a talent-based operation."

Eifert was a need not a talent that you take on the 13 pick. If he was a talent that you take on the 13 pick somebody else would have taken him before he got down to the 21.

13. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Waltzing Matilda is what ya want. ;)

14. FJF

whether or not that maybe true. this isnt the thread for that subject. there is a thread for that very topic in the draft forumn. please dont derail this thread with such trollish comments

15. Brick

Brick Member

Don't count out Mike Shanahan. He had a solid career at Pitt despite having an awful QB (Tino Sunseri is an absolute garbage college QB). Shanahan made some spectacular catches at key points and was at many times the feature receiver in that offense. I think he's going to make some noise next season. He and Cumberland can be a very serviceable combo at TE.

16. FJF

hows his blocking?

17. TheGreenCantona

that is why i hated tannenbaum and rex (not his fault this time), the amount of bs they dish out is just astonishing. Don't they care at all about their credibility, it is just unbelievable how you can say those things with a straight face.
    Heard the same from rex about sanchez every year, always a new spin, last season was the amount of muscles he had put on.
    Tannenbaum on the 'Jeremy Lins' on his roster is another classic.

18. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

That isn't true at all, Eifert was easily justified at 13 for the Jets, 13 and 21 isn't a huge gap. The draft is always based on talent and need, I don't care what Idzik says, so the best talent available just happened to be 3 un-athletic guards? I'm not buying it, I'm not buying Richardson being the BPA at 13 either.

19. TheGreenCantona

i would argu that the difference in the first ound between 13 and 21 is pretty large.

Therefore it will cost you a mid/late 2nd to move up

20. Brick

Brick Member

He's not an outstanding blocker, but he's not awful. Ray Graham had a lot of success running the football at Pitt because of Shanahan, but Shanahan probably needs to add another 10-15 lbs to be an effective blocker in the NFL.