Sporting News: First draft grades foe all 32 teams in

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rajensen088, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The original article posted is a massive sack of shit.

2. The haters are out in full force. If they hate the team so much they should just leave.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Everybody is entitled to thier opinion... I'm meh about the draft.

I like the Milliner pick because Wilson sucks. If having Milliner on the field means I won't have to see Wilson get beat by 7 yards and wave his finger at the opposing WR because the QB overthrew the ball than it's a great pick.

Richardson is a nice player but doesn't fill a need. 2 years ago we drafted Wilkerson and Ellis with our 1st two picks. Last year we drafted Coples with our 1st pick. I'm still lukewarm about Coples and Ellis but I love Wilkerson. I didn't see a real need to draft a DL so high when there was a more pressing need to draft an edge rusher (which Pittsburgh did) with the guy we should have taken at 13. To be fair I like Richardson better than both Star (because of the health thing) and Floyd who if you really read the scouting reports on him expose some flaws like short arms.

Geno Smith doesn't get me excited at all. I see a system QB who like most other QB's that play in the Air Raid offense will not amount to much in the NFL. He's the most athletic QB I've seen in that offense but I see a guy like Colt Brennan, Kevin Kolb and Graham Harrell. Ridiculous college numbers but it's in large part because of the system. Some people will say it's only a 2nd round pick but that doesn't erase the fact that we may have passed on some really good players for Smith.

Brian Winters is a guy I really like. He's nasty, fills a need and with good coaching can be a pretty solid OG in the league. It's hard to get excited about OL when doing these but I think Winters will be solid.

Trade for Ivory, I think we overpaid for him but obviously had we drafted a RB in the 4th it'd be a gamble as well so hard to really find much fault with this move unless you say we shouldn't have given up more than a 5th.

Oday Aboushi is either a steal or a nobody. I had him as a late 2nd to late 3rd prospect. He has always played very good at Virginia but a poor combine hurt his stock. He appears to not be very strong but like Winters is mean and nasty. Likes to beat people up and I always like aggressive OL. He grew up a Jets fan and I think Brick will take him under his wing. I really like this pick as well.

William Campbell is a project, I question taking a project when you have needs. He played OL in high school , went to Michigan and was moved to DL (probably because he wasn't as good on the OL as they thought) and they attempted to move him back to OL but that didn't pan out. I think it's a waste of a pick but as usual the Jets think they are smarter than everybody else. I also question the move when you drafted two OL and signed another in the 2 days leading up to this pick. We needed depth on the OL but now we have overkill with a project who at best will be practice squad player that at first sign of success will be signed by another team.

Tommy Bohanan , don't really have much to say about him. He's a blocking FB or will be. It's a 7th round pick so can't really criticize it. I'm not a Lex Hilliard fan so if anything we found an upgrade there.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

New York Jets: Their entire draft will ride on just how good West Virgnia's Geno Smith will be as their starting quarterback, and there's reason to believe the pairing will be quite bumpy. In essence, they swapped out Darrelle Revis for Alabama's Dee Milliner at cornerback, but wasted the No. 13 they got for Revis by taking Sheldon Richardson, a tackle better suited for the 4-3, not Rex Ryan's 3-4. It was a shaky start for John Idzik.

Terrible writeup....

1) Reason to believe the pairing will be bumpy? What evidence does he have that this will for sure come to fruition? I can say the pairing will be sensational and excellent and it'd be the same type of thing.

2) No mention of our 3rd round pick or the Ivory trade....lazy.

3) I'd like to think Rex Ryan a defensive coach has a better idea of how to use Richardson then this guy does. I agree the fit is a bit shaky at first but I like how he instantly rules out Richardson from working in Rex's D.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I brought up Seattle because they have drafted very well in recent history and have become a very talented team on both sides of the ball. All that despite the fact they always get below average grades in their drafts.

It has nothing to do with our new GM.

As far as those other great organizations I would take out a few. NE, GB, and NO haven't drafted all that well on both sides of the ball. SF, Bal, and Pitt for sure have been great but I don't understand how you can discredit Seattle's drafting and put in SF who hasn't been relevant until Harbaugh.

6. BakerMaker

Don't get this....Weeden and Foles played the same type of offense and given the flaws on the offense both dealt with(Weeden outside of Josh Gordon and Trent Richardson had mediocre targets that'd drop passes like Little and they didn't have a TE worth while. Foles had Jackson/McCoy down when he came in and an PITIFUL O-Line) had pretty nice year 1's. They just get swept under the rug because of RG3/Wilson/Luck.

Manziel also flourished in an air raid style of offense and is a potential top 10 pick next year and I know a vast majority of Jet fans would have not been sad to get him next year if we didn't take Geno.

Its all bullshit honestly as far as labeling guys into a system. I get his accuracy was helped by throwing bubble screens and behind the line to Austin/Bailey and that there's concerns over his eye work and ability in cold weather but I don't think Geno should get written off because he was basically forced to play what Stewart(who wasn't a great coach as far as getting the best out of his guys with his offensive system) and Holgorsen enforced. He has the physical tools but sometimes guys don't get to show off their full potential and attributes and are rather stuck on just running the system to help the team win if that's what the coach believes in.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I didn't include Foles and Weeden because they were both rookies. The Eagles have so much confidence in Foles they resigned Vick and traded up to draft Barkley. I didn't watch enough of Weeden to really have a fair evaluation of him but what I did see color me unimpressed.

I don't really look at Manziel as a great pro. I'm sure he'll have the hype but I also think his success was in part because most of the defensive coordinators in the SEC had never seen athletes that good in that type of offense. I'd like to see another season of him now that the coaches in the SEC have had the oppurtunity to spend a full offseason studying Sumlin's offense.

I have other concerns about him other than just the system. He never took snaps under center, he was never forced to read a defense and even though I've never been a guy to say "take this away" or "if he doesn't have that" but when I look at him from the 1st half of the season against garbage like Marshall, James Madison (good 1AA program) and Maryland vs when they got into the meat of the Big 12 schedule his numbers certainly look very average and his game came back to the pack.

8. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Yes, we play a 4-3, you are right. Mostly on passing downs. When we do Mo and Coples play the tackles and rush from the inside. So again, where is Richardson going to play?

9. BakerMaker

Foles got kicked out because of a new head coach in Chip Kelly and because he had like half a season with a depleted offense to show anything...he did nothing wrong to get his job taken away from him, he's just not Kelly's guy and Chip Kelly's a control freak on offense who wants his own QB to leave his mark. For all the love Cousins get, I think Foles has more upside moving forward and has shown me more(Of course since Cousins lit up a poor Browns secondary in his lone start)

Weeden's problem and why he isn't appealing is because he's almost 30 years old. Had he been 21-22 years old, he would have been picked ahead of Tannehill in all likelihood. He did a good job given what he had to work with in Cleveland as far as playmakers go(Their two best playmakers were rookies....)

I am curious how Johnny plays without Kingsbury and I think his stock can be better if he flourishes without Kingsbury(Kingsbury was a former TT QB) but my issue with Manziel is he doesn't have the ideal size you'd want at QB. Smith has a better build.

Its tough to say that its on him that he sucked the 2nd half...the defense nearly let in almost 40 points so much of the time he's forced to throw and didn't have a running game to rely upon. Had his defense cut the margin they let in by at least half(20 PPG), it might be a different ballgame and Geno Smith would not have to feel the need of playing superman every single snap and not have to match opponent with TD after TD after TD because of an inept defense.

#29 BakerMaker, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  10. Mr. Green Pants

The grades are speculative, but that's what we do this time of year...we speculate. Why are so many people having a problem with that? Results based grades are an entirely different thing.

Anyone who gave the Jets less than a B for this draft is a fool or a hater. :)

11. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Not to fail ... if anyone reads Evan Silva on Rotoworld (admitted Jet fan and Ireland killer)

Gave the Dolphins a D grade for the draft simply because of Ireland's history when Parcells was around. Forget the fact the last 2 drafts it appears to be decent.

These "grades" are meaningless and are meant for clicks and views.

12. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Honestly, I hate this part of the post draft nfl world, all the premature assumptions and grades. You have some people calling an Idzik an idiot already and others crowning him the savior of the franchise. Can our new rookies at least play one snap before you start labeling them as studs or bust like it's a fact? (Obviously that is not directed at you, just a general statement)

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I really can't knock the D grade. I give the draft a C for reasons I've said in other threads so I won't repeat myself.

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I love how people are underrating the Jets draft. I love what Idzik did. People seem to forget that Geno Smith was a second round pick. The Jets did go all out to get him like they did Sanchez, they picked TWO other players ahead of him. If Geno doesn't work out its not the end of the world. Hell Tannenbaum didn't really get killed over the Clemens pick.

Richardson is a playmaking DT, he shoots the gaps quickly and is in the backfield a lot, and with the losses of DeVito and Pouha it was an area of need. People forget we lost our 2 interior lineman this off season, we needed to draft a DT. And Milliner was rated the best CB in the draft, the Jets took the BPA with that pick, for a team that needs talent I don't see how people can hate that pick.

15. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I agree with the Richardson part...Im not really sure where all of this "he doesnt fit" crap comes from. Or... we are going to a 4-3. This kid looks like an ideal DT/DE in a 3-4.

What I like is that when you have the Patriots in your division you will not beat them with having a Revis. They just pretend whoever he is covering is not playing that day for the most part and destroy the rest of the field. So how do you beat a Brady...a Manning...a Manning again...a Brees...etc.

You beat them with your front line. Period. Throwing all of that money at Revis would have been flat out dumb. The Giants have dominated the Pats in big games by their front 4 or 5. Coverages will never ever beat a great qb.

So the Jets have stocked up on front line guys in the first couple rounds that last few years. Some of the kids are coming on big time. Richardson has a motor and a half...and thats how you try to overthrow the Kings.

And if one of the 12 qb's on the roster can become good...you have a chance.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I say we probably got 5 starters if you count Ivory, since we used our 4th for him

17. Lo_gan_7

Lo_gan_7 Member

I disagree with the Richardson complaints about not fitting in for the simple fact it seems to be banking on Rex Ryan being too dumb to figure something out. Say what you will about Rex and his handling of the rest of football, the guy finds a way to put the best mix for his defense on the field. If Richardson has talent to make it the best mix, Rex will find a way to get him in there.

Least that is my opinion.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is so funny. You started a thread with a post-draft grade made the day after the draft, then you follow it up with an article about how another post draft grade made years ago the day after another draft was completely wrong.

You just invalidated your own thread.

How does that feel?

19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

You hit it on the head when you said "LAZY". because that is exactly what that was, lazy reporting. Hey lets just comment on the biggest name taken, critique him without respect to where he was drafted, and base our grade on that.

lets ignore the TWO top 15 picks, and the two projected starters we got on day 2(winter/Ivory)

pathetic. i wouldnt even mind a low grade, as there is plenty you could criticize if you wanted(millner's injury, richardson maybe a reach, not going need early, overpaying by a round for ivory) but they just wanted to talk geno

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we dont need to play 4-3 to get richardson on the field in a good spot. We play TONS of nickel. we even did a bunch last year on first downs or short yardage. We will probably run nickel more then we run our base defense(3-4?).

i see no reason why richardson couldnt see 40+ snaps playing on a 4 man line in the nickel, on goaline, and on the occasion 46/4-3 look.