Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Revis was a luxury not a need. We need offense, we had a good defense without him.

Move on.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

In 2011 we went 8-8 with our pass D getting routinely burnt by tight ends because Jimmy and Smith could't stop them. IS that the year you really want to pick?

Revis upgrades them, he can put a good team over the top and much more quickly than a 1st round draft pick. Are we over a good team that Revis can push over the top, not currently. We now have an addition draft pick to address our multiple holes, one of them not being corner as it's a solid position for us.

Tampa does believe they can win now. It's why they gave up their #13 pick and paid Revis 16 a year. However if they don't win now, they have less money in the future to address whatever needs may come up. However, on the other hand, Idzik wanted a pick this year and the Bucs had the highest one and the only one offering. Trading Revis in season would most likely net you lower picks. Not trading Revis during the season means 0 compensation.

3. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Except for the fact that Champ is 45 years old.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well the Idzik era is off to a terrible start. We got robbed on this deal a first and a 4th next year are uou kidding me. He played his hand too soon and Tampa Bay waited him out.

5. displacedfan

And running plays. You have to be wary if the pass rusher is skilled in containing the run. He can affect running plays a corner cannot.

The game today, with multiple receivers, quick passes, defenders not being allowed to be physical, Revis' impact gets diminished. If Revis was under old rules where you could mug receivers and passing plays were more "Traditional" with maybe 2-3 routes only on a play, Revis would be much more valuable. It's why what Revis did in 09 and 10 and 11 was so incredible. He was doing it with the rules stacked against him. Granted with the rules against him, the impact he had on the game was lessened. I mean it should be telling that to have a noticeable impact on thegame as a corner, you need to be Revis' level. To have a noticeable impact on the game as a pass rusher, you don't need to be one of the best ever. You can be one of the good or great pass rushers of today.

6. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

16 mil per for a cb lol! The jets have learned their lessons with moronic contracts and only tanny would pay that given the current team. We don't even have a fucken qb. Sanchez is an abomination and we need to find his replacement and future franchise qb before killing the cap for a cb coming off injury.

I'd like a legit rb and some starting ol and maybe just maybe a legit passrusher for the love of christ. I loved revis but his act grows old and at this point I'm glad the greedy bastard is gone but wish him the best nonetheless.

7. displacedfan

That's the point. The CB is so low, and the only CB getting conderabley close money is getting overpaid. He overshot the market by so much, he placed himself out of the Jets' range

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Idiots.. As if the Jets had a better choice to make. $16m for any CB is insane

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

In 2011 we had the FIFTH passing D in the league, with a sucky and mediocre safety. Thus proving my point about the benefit of having a true shutdown corner.

As I have said for months, I was always fine with trading Revis. but you have to get back value appropriate for one of the top players in the league. ACL or not. It really doesn't matter if Tampa wins or flops. There is no objective way to look at this deal and say Tampa made a mistake. They took basically no risk (bc they were going to draft a CB anyways) and have a huge ceiling for reward. I have no idea why trading Revis in-season nets less picks? Less, meaning ONE of course, since we only got 2! I have full confidence a team in the NFL would give 2 picks for Revis, even if it's in-season. This was just not a good value trade. And that's why Idzik blew it. I'm happy to have the 13th pick, but it should have came with other mid-rounders or high picks in 14.

At the end of the day we are trading Revis for a rookie guard. That's not good.

10. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

It's disappointing that the Jets didn't get more for Revis, but it doesn't mean we have to play the blame game.

Idzik played his cards right, and in the end Tampa Bay just didn't fold and the Jets just got a first.

The Jets were in a tough position, and judging by how close the deal is to the draft, I don't think Tampa Bay was willing to give up more than just what they gave up in this

So, the Jets ended up taking what the market gave them, which really was good considering they couldn't get really anything else.

11. displacedfan

Yeah, like I said, rightfully or wrongly, accused of being greedy. The second one was annoying. He held out for a deal that he got from the Jets then held out of it again. He could have at least dicussed extension instead of holding out. Also, on top of that, we paid him what 14 million off that deal. Now he's getting 16 million off an ACL seaosn ending injury? That's crazy and good for him he upped his value. Still not sure how 0 of the contract is guaranteed though

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Fair point. But again, I don't think we had to re-sign him. We could have traded him during the season. Especially if he looked like his old self week 1.

13. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Well we knew this was coming. Who gets to the Super Bowl first: Jets or Bucs? I say Bucs. For those of you happy with these draft picks, please remember the Jets couldn't scout college talent if they farted in their faces. Revis Island has sunk!

[​IMG]

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he's signed to a 6/96M dollar deal with no guaranteed money

16M a year on the basis that he reports to the team which is the only way he gets the money

if he holds out he makes nothing and is still locked into contract

as long as he reports he gets his money unless they cut him, people are looking at the non-guaranteed label thinking thats great but the point is all he has to do is come to camp and meet whatever requirements and the money is his

so holding out does himself no good, he got the deal he wanted and he'll likely get 64M of it since I dont see TB cutting him until he's 32/33 or even then re-doing the deal

the reason he held out with us is because he wasn't getting what he wanted and with TB the way to get what he wants is to show up and play at a high level 2 things he can control and 2 things everyone in the league knows he'll do

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Barron is a play-maker no doubt he's excellent in run support and he can lay the wood, but he's not that good in pass-coverage he may still warrant that 7th pick. Goldson at FS will help their pass-defense coverage, but I don't think they are the best secondary in the NFL. Seahawks IMO are more complete.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Still wondering if we would have got more if we took the 2014 first. Say we could have got the 2014 first and fourth and a third this year. Yeah it may be worse than the 13th overall, but we could package it with our first and whatever else it took to move up and get a better QB...assuming we're not already in that spot to begin with.

Lost a bit of faith in Idzik now, I think he goes Geno Smith and WR (Austin likely) instead of the smart trade down or go DE/OLB and G and the mediocrity continues.

17. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Yes, they're both arguably the best at their positions.
    All that remains, is to establish how much impact/importance their position has in the game of football.

What I'm saying is that in football there's little point in stating someone being the best player, as the positional impact between positions varies too much.

As in, I doubt we'll ever see a Long Snapper be drafted in the top 10 anytime soon, no matter how stellar that player is at it...

18. PuMa

PuMa Banned

You get threatening weapons for the next QB(Teddy ?)
    Here are nice scenarios for the #9 and #13 pick

#9 - Patterson #13 - Cooper
    #9 - Austin #13 - Warmack
    or if you want a pass rusher
    #9 - Jones #13 - Patterson
    #9 - Jordan(If he slips) #13 - Austin

alot of different ways to go now.
    You grab a TE or RB in the 2nd
    You can grab Ertiz at TE or Gio at RB
    maybe Escobar at TE or Johnathan Franklin at RB

i like my chances at a great offense in the future - if we get teddy or atleast someone better then Mark.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And whats worse is, Revis doesnt help them win their division, it helps them angle for a wild card, hoping to beat out one of the top 3 in both the NFC East, and West.

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He is vastly overpaid. The minute he falls off a bit, or TB decides they're not paying 16 mil per year for a CB he will be cut. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being subpar this year or next and gets cut/having to renegotiate before 2015.