Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

they need a pass rusher too after losing Michael Bennett

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It's a bad day for the Jets.
    If Revis doesn't tear up the knee last year, the trade is at least two 1st's.
    As it ends up, only a first and 3rd/4th for the best person we've drafted in decades, still in his prime. For those like like to dismiss CB's importance, trying telling that to Rex who has been stating for years how essential effective bump and run CB's are to all his schemes.

I do think this was poor return value even with the knee, which leads me to believe it was a bit owner driven necessitating a trade.
    Not Idzik's best day, but he's been doing a good job so far.
    The pressure is really on him with this draft now.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Eazy E.... that's my boy and yeah he does suck ass.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Golston and Barron are in box safeties that play the run pretty well - not the best at coverage, Eric Wright is trash and Ronde Barber isn't even signed and he's like 38 years old. Teams like the Saints and Falcons will still have a field day. Revis on Julio? That's fine, but then you got Gonzalez and Roddy White making plays all over the field.

Add the fact that the Bucs have no legitimate pass-rush and Revis maybe having a long season in TB.

5. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Hope this can happen!

6. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Any link to that interview with Idzik and Rex ?

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Goldson plays FS right, I swear he did and Barron isn't simply an in-box safety you wouldn't pick him at #7 if he was

However they lack a viable #2 and slot corner along with no pass rush at all

8. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Mevis held us hostage for 6 years, Tampa Bay held us hostage today. Not too happy with the trade value.

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Yeah and in 2011 we had the phenomenal cover safety Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard (before getting hurt) as our safeties and how did Revis make them look? Pretty good!

Ultimately, I don't care about TB's D. But it's undeniable that Revis gives them a serious upgrade. I like Goldson and Barron. Are they the best? No. but they are a very solid tandem. Wright will no longer cover No. 1's and the team can still sign people. They had 33M in cap space before the trade and still have a lot of picks this year. So they're in great shape.

But they're not my team. I only comment on their secondary because I was trying to highlight the fact that they believe they can win now. And they want to win now. And Revis was they key to this. So the urgency was much more with them than with Idzik in this negotiation.

10. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Since he's "the best defensive player in the league", you'd rather have Revis than eg. JJ Watt?

I will never be in favor of paying franchise QB money for a corner.
    Even the whole concept of building around a CB is hilarious...

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

They'll say... Darelle Revis, human??

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

From Walterfootball:

Buccaneers acquire CB Darrelle Revis from Jets for 2013 1st-rounder, conditional 2014 mid-rounder
    So much for the Jets obtaining first-, third- and fifth-round picks this year. All they were able to net for Darrelle Revis was the No. 13 overall selection next week and a fourth-rounder in 2014 that could turn into a third-rounder.

I would have given the Buccaneers a "C" grade for surrendering all of those selections, but now it has to be considered a very good deal. Even when considering that he's coming off a torn ACL, Revis is much better than anyone Tampa Bay could have chosen with the 13th pick - even if Dee Milliner happened to slide down to them.

The price tag for Revis is the concern for many; Revis is paid way too much for a non-quarterback, but the Buccaneers have the cap space to make a move like this. They had $33 million available prior to this trade, so they can afford to pay Revis the reported six years, $96 million. I'll grade that soon.

Meanwhile, Jets' fans have to feel incredibly disappointed. Hauling in three selections this year and some next April would have been acceptable for losing one of the league's top corners, but getting just the No. 13 overall pick and a mid-rounder next spring is not nearly enough. If I were the Jets, I would have pushed for a bunch of picks in 2014 because of the superior draft class.

Grade for Buccaneers - A-
    Grade for Jets - D

13. feldspar

feldspar Member

I don't think that Revis is greedy. The guy has proven to be the best at what he does and wants to be paid as such. Nothing greedy about that, but just a matter of market value. What surprises me the most is that a player of Revis' caliber signed a contract with no guaranteed money...THAT is perhaps the strangest part. What if he gets hurt again? Gotta figure that the Bucs were convinced that he'll be healthy again if they made this deal in the first place.

The truth is that this is his biggest chance to make the big bucks in his PROFESSION. He's in his prime right now, and there is only a small window. The Jets probably weren't going to be able to pay him anywhere near where he's worth next year anyway. That's why they traded him.

Do you think that he owes something to the Jets or something? He's not greedy, at least from what he did here. I don't think that he was the one that coordinated this trade, either. Was it his idea?

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Can you explain that further? What leverage do the Bucs have to prevent him from holding out?

15. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I would. But is it debatable as to who is better? YES. which makes sense since JJ Watt is widely considered one of the best defensive players in the league. So the fact that we can have this debate shows Revis is as well. We can always argue over who is the No. 1. But there is no debating who actually belongs in the discussion.

16. John

John Active Member

I know many you wont agree but i think this is a great deal. Listen we get the 9th and 13th pick to fill major holes, we are a young and built through the draft team. The real big part is if this trade wasnt done we would lost him at the end of the year for NOTHING. The real deal is we can sign 2 VERY good players for 16 mil a year. So at the end we got 13th pick, Most likely a 3rd next year ( i think) and 16 mil free in cap space

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He's being paid FAR more than every other CB in the NFL. Champ Bailey is the second highest paid cornerback in the NFL at $9.5mil for 2013. Asking for almost double that is pretty damn greedy.

19. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The irony in this is that if he walked as a UFA we would get a 4th rounder in 2014 as compensation. lol.

20. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Dude, it's kind of ridiculous to say that a pass rusher impacts the game less than a CB. A great pass-rusher can inflict pain and pressure on a QB on every passing down. The QB doesn't have the option to simply throw to the other side of the field. I'm not saying going against a guy like Revis is a picnic, but you can gameplan to minimize his impact; how do you gameplan to take Clay Matthews out of the game on each and every passing play?