Titans to Jets anniversary

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

50 years to the date, the New York Titans became the New York Jets. It's interesting because I wore my Titans shirt (that I haven't worn in a while) just because. Wore my Titans hat in honor of the occasion.

Do any old-timers have any memories about the New York Titans?

2. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

I am the only Jets fan on this forum that absolutely love the NY TITANS uniforms. I have the Titans varsity jacket, track suit jacket, knit hat, t-shirt, cap, jersey, I love the Titans gear. I wish the NFL Network did a special about the NY JETS/TITANS transition.

The colors scheme of the Titans are awesome and I hope they wear the throwbacks this season. Have we ever lost a game in those throwbacks?

3. allan1

allan1 Active Member

The Titans were a sad, forgettable moment in Jets history. "Titan" is another word for "Vagiant" and there uniforms were horrific (we should NEVER wear any kind of blue) nobody came to the games, the team was mediocre, and there is ZERO nostalgia for this disgraceful 3 year run. Let's flush it down the toilet, burn all the shit stained Titans gear, and never speak of them again

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Yes, on multiple occasions I believe. I specifically remember losing a game to the eagles wearing the Titans unis. I'm pretty sure there were others too.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When I was a kid, my Dad took me to my first ever football game at a place called the Polo Grounds in Harlem. We walked there in about 20mins from my home. Once inside, my Dad brought me a Titans banner to wave around, It was this yellow and blue thing and I just couldn't get over the crowd cheering and such. Didn't know a damn thing about football but it was just fun to be out with Dad. I became both a football fan and a Titans fan that day. Then in '64, they moved to Queens and the City tore down the Polo Grounds to make way for the Polo Grounds Projects. They did leave a monument to the Polo Grounds in the middle of the projects where home plate used to be though. I heard they did that in Ebbetts field in Brooklyn as well.

Nice touch.

6. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

Wow, it was that bad? That's such a shame. You guys don't like the uniforms? I think they look great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These uniforms are classic! I really want to see the Jets wear these this season. Are these worse then the Steelers KILLER BEE uniforms?

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

They look old school....love it!

8. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

They are hideous. I HATE those uniforms. I'm glad we didn't use them last season. The real "throwbacks" we should be using are the kelly greens or the 80's styles.

9. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

To each is own. I like the Kelly Greens too, but I don't want to lose our heritage. We came into existance as TITANS, no matter how ugly our history is, we should NEVER forget where we came from!

At least this aint the creamsickle Tampa Bay colors. I am glad the Jets still sell the TITANS blue t-shirts, hoodies and hats so my generation will still remember where the NY JETS came from.

Is there a limit to how many throwbacks we can wear in a season? Like if we can rock the TITANS and Kelly Greens in one season? I don't know.

10. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

My wife worked for ABC TV at the time. Her boss wanted my to invest some money in the team. We were just married with little to spare...and thankfully I turned down the offer.

C-man, yes the Polo grounds, but my faded memory had them playing or just practicing at Randall Island park. Any body out there confirm or kick holes in my memory?

Ron

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have some vague memory of them practicing in Randalls Island at that old stadium. Wow.. talk about the way back machine! :beer:

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I like the old school Titans look. Think there's nothing wrong with bringing it out 1-2 games a season.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I think it was actually Rikers Island but may be they also did train on Randalls Island at one time or another. The NYTs had no money & at the end could not even play the ballplayers. That is the reason the 4 partners stepped in with Wberlin being the top dog. Then Hess got pissed that Wberlin signed JWN without his permission so he forced Wberlin out & became top dog at that time owning 50% of the stock & naturally with Hesses ascent the long decline of the NYJs began which continues to this day. :sad:

14. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

15. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Hess was really lower than garbage

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

The titan throwups...er throwbacks are hideous. Never want to see them again.

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

My Dad had season tix to the Pologrounds when they were the Titans. I grew up hearing the stories, so I kind of dig the tradition, as bad as it may be. It's not like the Jets rich in winning history like the Steelers or Packers anyway. Why not honor your past? I dig the uniforms in an ugly, classic kind of way. Hope they stick with them.

18. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

There are a lot of those..

Too many to recall, actually.

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That Eagles game and the '09 Dolphins game are the only two losses I can think of. I remember the blow-out wins against Miami (07) the Cards (08) and the 38-0 Raiders game in 09.....

20. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Al Dorow was the starting QB in the very first game of the very first season. Lest you forget.