Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Tough thing about that link is the the more north you go..it doesnt pick up the precip well..let me see if you can find the link for your area...and right now...the heavier precip is on the border of NYS and Conn..moving west towards you....I think you may be around 3 hours aways from getting the heavier snow...if it makes it..it will.

Let me look for your link.

2. jaywayne12

3. jaywayne12

Here is another one out of newark...that albany one isnt that good either. Just because its empty by you doesnt mean nothing is happening..the radar just cant read the far away from the center.

Here..this might be better:
    http://www.wunderground.com/radar/r...&lightning=0&smooth=0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

edit: yes..this is much better...see to your east? Can you see the brighter yellows and light greens heading your way? You need them to get to you....they will.

THE DBZ on the left indicates how strong and heavy it is. Dont go by heavy meaning you have to get to the oranges and reds...even in a blizzard, snow will not get to those colors..just rain. Snow is much harder for radar to pick up. You just need to either get to the lightest green which would be moderate to heavy...or yellow..which would be heavy snow.

#3463 jaywayne12, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. jaywayne12

Yeah...the heavy stuff is a lot closer to you...no longer than 2 hours away..but I think even sooner.

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay I was out cold,,,,,asleep,,,,,,now I am wide awake and I checked those links,,,nice job thank. You can see it much better on that last link you sent :beer: . First link looked as if it was almost done but that second link was much clearer and showed much more precip :beer:
    I just went out and walked the dog,,,,a lot of snow in the back yard ( grass ) I would say 5 inches,,,, I am not sure what we have on the concrete ?
    Any guesstimates on how long the snows keep coming and amounts ? Also do you know when this will end as I like 3 day weekends and if it is still snowing in the A M I will not be going in ?

6. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Getting pummeled up here in Passaic County...it's pretty much a whiteout.

7. jaywayne12

Yeah me too...didnt expect this much in passaic county but will take it.

CBG..if all the models are correct and looking at the radar..I think it goes at least to sunrise...perhaps even later. Nice hit.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay I think me you and David Harris are the only humans awake rite now :lol:

Thanks buddy,,,,,,it looks like a 3 day weekend ,,,,,,,,not sure what we actually have rite now but seems like a lot,,,,I am sure you have a similar amount by you. I will be up for a while now and will post another update or 10 ,,,,keep em coming Jay :beer:

9. jaywayne12

The great thing about it is for snow lovers, its really is great outside right now...just a real quite tranquil snow. I have a bit less then you. For the snow haters...with the sun and temps the next 3 days..this will all be gone quickly.

Still a very full radar and a lot to come through. Whether or on the pace keeps up is tough to tell..there are breaks coming up but with a norlun trough, it just keeps filling in until this little storm that is sucking the precip for the big storm starts kicking both storms out to sea. Thats all thats happening.

The wild thing is we have killed the models but the models have shown this back end of the storm snow for 4 days now....pretty impressive. Many models showed more snow on the back end then the huge storm...and thats dead on.

Still...it was a sucky job by all...but a nice finish.

Think you have at least 2-3 inches more coming.

10. jaywayne12

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay if this had happened last nite you and the other weather guys would have been taking bows instead of getting grief,,,,,that said I hear what you are saying about outside, because when I was walking my dog it was very very cool out !
    I had to shovel off my deck, steps and a smiggin of my yard or the dog was like screw you I ain't goin out there :lol: I fully expect school delays Friday if not closiers will find out at 5 a m .
    Keep em coming Jay as I am up and like a kid on Xmas eve,,,,,especially with 4 hours of sleep under my belt. :)

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

My buddy at work lives in Conn,,,,,so he asked me today to " call me later and let me know what your weather buddy says about tonight " I told him to hand me his phone and we came onto the site and I showed him " the house of weather thread " so he now is not only a fan but he will follow from here on as well,,,,ps he leaves for Puerto Rico Saturday .
    Hey Jay I know u don't want a blog,,,,I don't blame you,,,,but on nights like tonight or other event nites you should set up a chat room somewhere so guys can yell at you about the NO snow they got ,,,,,,,,lol.
    Too bad this site can't hold a chat room for game days or the draft or better yet snowy nights,,,,,keep em coming Jay

#3472 CBG, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ps I see those colors / snows heading my way,,,,,,woo whoo. Lol
    Looks like tubing and sledding might be happening in a few hours with the kids :)

14. jaywayne12

You know CBG...I have talked about it with a few people and I think by October, I will set something up like that. Without going into details, I have about 5 companies of people that I know that I have helped out with storms over the past 5 years. I have the sporting teams of several towns, people that I know, that I have helped out and have open lines. Many a practice has been called off by my right or wrong calls..lol...I even help them out in spring and summer with thunderstorm lines and timing when they come through.

What I provide them is 24 hour service...they know when these things come, Im up...and have no problem suffering through the next day because I do love it. And thanks for the nice comments.

Back to the storm...I was on the phone with a few people about 10 minutes ago and our schools will probably have a delayed opening at least...but I just took a quick ride and the highways because of the borderline temps are just wet. Side roads? Suck.

Another thing is this....while I do not expect the snow to keep up the whole time in the moderate range...I would not be surprised if this goes into the LATE morning at least now. The temps will struggle to maintain whats falling though and might even see a mix to rain as the morning goes on because there is not really any cold air to support whats falling. The reason its even sticking now is because of moderate to heavy way its falling. Once it turns light...it cant keep up and will melt really fast.

But, its enough to make it look great...and maybe keep the kids in bed for a couple extra hours and thats always sweet. I will be on for at least a couple more hours.

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay,,,,,I want to be grandfathered in,,,,I mean when you start providing services and charging $$$$$ per minute I want the family rate / home town discount :beer:

Ps very peaceful outside rite now !

16. jaywayne12

Ha....lol...good one..no no no...no charge. Well you know what? Maybe down the road..but not only will you have a free lifetime membership...but some royalties too.

It is soooo peaceful outside right now. Beautiful. Something that is coming down so hard..and accumulating...yet not a peep.

17. jaywayne12

And just as I say that...looking at the radar..that line in Stamford seems to be drying up. Thats how these things start to end...they just dissipate. Hope they fill back in...lets see.

18. jaywayne12

Forget that..radar still filling in west..funny thing is that some will end up with 6" of snow and that qualifies for a winter storm warning and the NWS would never go down that road they way so many departments busted...scared shit to bust again.

Technically, for those that get 6, a Winter Storm Warning should have been issued even now..and I doubt they will do that...even though this snow is very manageable..it fits the bill.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I feel like going for a walk,,,but pretty comfortable in my bed,,,let it snow baby !
    Ps slept so I watched rewind of islander / rangers,,,,,,just knew that the islanders squandered too many chances,,,,,when u guys scored with 5 minutes left I knew it was over,,,,As an islander fan i have seen that game hundreds of times in the last 10 years

Pss let it snow !!! I keep checking the radar link from time to time

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Couldn't believe they gave up the late goa
    , then the penalty in OT. Arrrrgh.

Snow sucks.

Schools will either be closed or late open, which is actually worse.