What is with the obsession by the media with QBs that can't throw?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Concerned_Citizen, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

What is with the obsession by the media with QBs that can't throw? ...and why do these QBs who can't throw insist they are NFL caliber quarterbacks?

We see Tim Tebow's career taking a swan dive with his insistence that he really is an NFL QB. Few teams believe this, which it is why it is unclear whether he will be in the NFL, let alone what team he might end up playing Punt Protector for.

Enter Colin Klein. Might even be Tebow's successor as the media's feel good underdog story of inspiration. Everything I hear about the local Colorado kid from loveland is that he is pretty much the same as Tim Tebow. Basically a running QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn. About the only difference is that Klein throws right handed. Latest local news channel in Denver said he was ranked something like 11 out of the 16 quarterbacks that worked out at the combine.

When asked to work out as a TE, he declined and insisted he is a QB. Does this sound familiar? Will Klein be Tebow's successor as a Tebow reincarnate of QBs who can run but can't throw worth a shit? Or will Klein stay out of the spotlight and actually learn how to pass... unlike tebow?

Already hearing a lot more about this kid than where his rankings suggest. Where have we heard this before? They're pretty much the same dude, WITHOUT Klein being on a stacked Gators team.

#1 Concerned_Citizen, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. JFjets

JFjets New Member

This is so far from true that it's quite comical. The NFL media has worked really hard since Tebow came out in the draft to re-write his history as a QB to try and push the idea that he was primarily a running QB in college, which isn't even close to the truth. Klein, on the other hand really was much more of a running QB in college than Tebow ever was. 61.46% of Tebow's touches in his 3 years as a starter were passes. For Klein it was 52.75%. Beyond that, though, from a percentage standpoint, Klein was a much bigger part of K State's running game than Tebow was for Florida.

Oh yeah, one other difference. Tebow was an elite passer in the NCAA. Klein wasn't.

3. Concerned_Citizen

Okay, let's say for the sake of argument that I believe the numbers Tebow put up in college was because he was an elite passer, and NOT because he had almost an NFL caliber offense surrounding him making life a lot easier for him... And ;et's say for a moment that I believe it wouldn't have mattered, and he would have put up similar numbers playing for the team Klein payed for... (which I think is assenine.)

Tebow sure as hell HASN'T been that elite passer in his three years in the NFL. So, while Klein doesn't have the sexy numbers Tebow did by playing with a great all around team like the Gators, they are STILL essentially the same think now. Running QBs who can't pass worth a shit. BOTH of which the media seems to be drooling over for reasons other than being great QBs. I mean, Klein CAN'T be that far behind Tebow with the passing skillset. Neither can hit the broad side of a barn aside from maybe an odd strike here and there.

4. JFjets

JFjets New Member

So now not only do you consider yourself an expert on Tebow, you consider yourself an expert on Klein also, even though he hasn't played a single down in the NFL? Are you an NFL scout masquerading as a 35 year old who lives in his mom's basement? Are you at the Scouting Combine right now?

5. Concerned_Citizen

Maybe I am.

You consider yourself an expert on Tebow too, and were likely high on him long before he threw his first pass in the NFL (which probably sailed off into the 15th row somewhere.) Now that Tebow's career is turning out to be a fart in the wind, albeit a very LOUD fart, would you say Klein is also suitable for the NFL?

Perhaps he could if the media stays out of his way.

I just don't get why the media latches on to these guys's nutsack when most people looking at them, if not either caught up in the hype of a college career, or caught up in their charisma, don't think much of their skillset as NFL passers. Media is trying sooooo hard to tie this guy to Tebow. might doom him before he ever gets a sniff at starting. Woudln't it be funny if the Jets took him?

6. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

This is a myth Tebow fans created. Tebow isn't in the top 80 NCAA passers ever in career yards. He only had one season where he threw for over 3000 yards.

Tebow was a very good college football player. He was not an elite passer. He wasn't the best QB ever in the state of Florida. He wasn't even the best UF QB ever. He has the biggest, most loyal and delusional fan following in the history of any QB, though.

7. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

I see he is 81 in all time pass yards. Nice stat lmao.

For S&G I Googled a little deeper and found this. and this http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-tebow-1.html

NCAA RECORDS
    Most rushing touchdowns by a QB in a season
    1. Tim Tebow, 23, 2007
    Most consecutive games scoring a touchdown by rushing and passing
    Season
    1. Tim Tebow, 14 games, 2008
    Career
    1. Tim Tebow, 28 games, active
    Scoring 20 touchdowns rushing and passing in a season
    Tim Tebow, 2007 (32 passing, 23 rushing)
    SEC RECORDS
    Total offense
    1. Chris Leak, 11,370 yards
    15. Tim Tebow, 8,427 yards
    Rushing touchdowns
    1. Herschel Walker, 49
    5. Tim Tebow, 43
    Total touchdowns
    1. Danny Wuerffel, 122
    3. Tim Tebow, 110
    Career completion percentage
    1. Tim Couch, 67.1 percent
    2. Tim Tebow, 65.8 percent
    Lowest interception percentage
    1. Tim Tebow, 1.61 percent
    2. Andre Woodson, 1.96 percent
    Yards gained in a season
    1. Tim Tebow, 2007, 4181 yards
    2. Tim Couch, 1998, 4151 yards
    Touchdowns in a season
    1. Tim Tebow, 2007, 55 touchdowns
    2. Andre Woodson, 2007, 43 touchdowns
    Touchdowns in a game
    1. Tim Tebow, 7 touchdowns, 2007 vs. South Carolina
    1. Eight others tied with 7
    Rushing touchdowns, season
    Tim Tebow, 23, 2007
    FLORIDA RECORDS
    Total offense
    1. Chris Leak, 11,350 yards
    5. Tim Tebow, 8,427 yards
    Total touchdowns
    1. Danny Wuerffel, 122
    2. Tim Tebow, 110
    Scoring
    1. Jeff Chandler, 368 points
    2. Tim Tebow, 258 points
    Career rushing attempts
    1. Errict Rhett, 873
    2. Emmitt Smith, 700
    3. Tim Tebow, 681
    Career completion percentage
    1. Tim Tebow, 65.8 percent
    2. Wayne Peace, 61.6 percent
    Career touchdown passes
    1. Danny Wuerffel, 114
    2. Chris Leak, 88
    3. Rex Grossman, 77
    4. Shane Matthews, 74
    5. Tim Tebow, 67
    Lowest interception percentage
    1. Tim Tebow, 1.61 percent
    2. Chris Leak, 2.88 percent

8. JFjets

JFjets New Member

It remains to be seen what Tebow's NFL future looks like, despite the fact that you think you know all. We've been informed by you and others that he had no trade value, yet he's still a member of the Jets, and we've heard they're trying to trade him. There's also some speculation that they haven't really decided what to do with him, that they might actually keep him, that the front office is divided on that decision. So, I think I'll hold my judgement until a little further down the road. He's already been a successful NFL QB in the short term, much to your chagrin. I think he'll be a successful long-term QB in the NFL, but I hope like heck it isn't with the Jets.

You can make all the pronouncements you want, and set them in concrete if you want, knock yourself out. If you're wrong, it will just be more fun for us who disagreed with you.

I believe the same thing about Klein as I did about Colt McCoy. I don't believe either of them have a strong enough arm for the NFL. They wouldn't be the first NFL QB's with less than optimum arm strength to succeed in the NFL, and I'm not saying they won't, just that I, personally, doubt their prospects long-term. But, I also think their success or lack of success will depend partly on the offensive system and team they end up with. And the same could be said for many, if not most young NFL QB's, Tebow included. I don't think Colt McCoy is much different than Andy Dalton, but I think Andy Dalton ended up in a vastly preferable system, with coaches who wanted him to be the guy from the moment he was drafted. McCoy didn't go in with that kind of situation.

I will say this about Klein, and McCoy: If some team meets with them, likes their skills, and wants to give them a shot, then more power to that team and more power to those QB's. You will never see me say someone can't or won't succeed as a QB in the NFL until they've had a chance to prove whether they can or not. I've got an opinion, but I don't have a crystal ball, and neither do you.

9. Concerned_Citizen

Uh huh... and how many takers do you think there will be? There wre just 2 last year, and that was coming off his legendary playoff game he single handedly won for the Broncos.

They gain nothing by releasing him now. They cut their big dollar guys to get under the cap. tebow cuts very little salary, so the idea someone might want to capitalize on his popularity makes sense that they would try to trade him. you won't find a trade partner for one of those 10 million dollar players the Jets had to cut anyway, and everyone knew it.

Tebow won't be a jet. Not with all the drama they just went through. They'll cut him. They just want potential suitors to think they might not after all and have to trade them if they really want him.

No, but sheesh, have some foresight. It really is okay to predict if someone will make it or not. Probably 3/4 of QB prospects that have come and gone in the NFL never really amounted to anything. Some were lucky enough to get a seasons worth of starts, but most are going to fail and not have a lengthy career.

Why is the media trying to tie Klein to Tebow? you almost can't read an article, or see a newscast about Klein without him being compared to Tebow. Even saw some chick on one of our local networks make that comment and kinda winced at the comparison. not flattering, I guess considering where Tebow's career looks to be headed. Even if tebow is taken, it won't be much different from the what he got with the Jets.

10. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Thanks. He wasn't 81. The list I saw only went 82 deep. He wasn't on it. I didn't pursue further.

11. JFjets

JFjets New Member

:eek:hmy:

Passing Yards? Seriously? If a lot of passing yards is what it takes to make you an elite QB, then you better go ahead and measure about 2/3 of the current starting QB's in the NFL for their Hall of Fame jackets, because they're a lock! And Colt Brennan and Graham Harrell should be tearing up the NFL right now.

Since 1970 there have been 110 other QB's who had more career passing yards than Tebow.

You know how many of them amounted to a hill of beans in the NFL? 17. If you're keeping track, that's 17 in 43 years. And most of them are so much higher on the list than Tebow because they started for 4 years, whereas Tebow only started for 3 years.

Tebow has a better NCAA career Passer Rating than every single one of those 17 guys.

He also has a higher NCAA career Yards/Attempt than every single one of those 17 guys.

He also has a higher NCAA career Passing TD% than every single one of those 17 guys.

He also has a lower NCAA career INT% than all but one of those 17 guys.

Lastly, he has a higher NCAA career Completion % than all but two of those 17 guys.

So, yeah, he was an elite passer in the NCAA. You still want to stick with Passing Yards as your measure of what makes an elite passer?

Those 17 guys in front of him on the career passing yards list who did much of anything in the NFL are:

Philip Rivers, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Daunte Culpepper, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Doug Flutie, Robert Griffin III, Andy Dalton, Eli Manning, Colin Kaepernick, Jim McMahon, Andrew Luck, John Elway, Matt Ryan.

12. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I don't know, but it only takes one. By the way, did you happen to see where John Fox said in an interview in the last week that Tebow "led them to a play-off win"? You might want to send him a note telling him he is wrong about that.:lol:

Popularity doesn't last long if one isn't playing. I don't see the above scenario being likely, if your opinion is correct. And yet, as of right now Tebow is still a member of the Jets, hasn't been released. The front office is either undecided on what to do with him, or they think there will be some trade interest.

I hope you're right, but the fact is that you don't know this to be true any more than I do.

And you've already proclaimed the 2nd bolded part to be impossible. You've said that no one wants him.

What you call foresight, I call hubris. It is practically a required character trait to get a job as a talent evaluator in the NFL. I'll be happy to give my predictions on who I believe will succeed in the NFL, but I'm not going to absolutely write someone off until they've had a chance to prove themselves. I thought Russell Wilson was easily the 3rd best QB in the draft last year, and 10 years from now, I think there's a real chance he might end up being the 1st best QB from last year's draft. Did you see Russell Wilson being a starter in the NFL in 2012, and not only that, but taking his team to the playoffs? Be honest.

You really don't know the answer to this? I'll give you a hint, it has very little to do with Klein, and mostly to do with Tebow.

13. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I'm genuinely not saying this to be disrespectful but I find your writing style with the randomly bolded words tedious to read. I'm not talking about the content at all. You seem to be pretty well-spoken, if not completely blinded by Tebow, but the way you format your posts is awful.

14. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Why are we discounting the others? We were talking about NCAA players, not NFL, and Tebow hasn't amounted to anything in the NFL either, so not sure why he'd get grouped with the "17".

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The difference between being a QB and being any other position is just huge. In terms of influence. In terms of income. in terms of likely career length. There is no other position where if you prove to be barely competent you can stay on a roster and get paid for holding a clipboard.

For people like Klein this is an easy call. There's no reason to believe he's an NFL player at any other position. He'd be at a huge disadvantage making the switch to TE where he'd be competing against people who have trained to be TE's for years. The only reason most teams would keep him around would be because he was also a wildcat QB.

For Tebow I think it was a harder call. I think Tebow wanted to play QB because of the influence it created and because it helped him market himself. He hasn't given up that much over his career so far. He'd still have been a longshot to be a good NFL TE or H-back. He'd never have agreed to play RB - that's a job with no upside unless you are truly great.

16. JFjets

JFjets New Member

If you really think that the words I put in bold are chosen at random, then I'm pretty sure you and I are not going to be able to have any sort of an intelligent discussion.

So I'll ask you again, are you seriously using Passing Yards as the barometer for what makes someone an Elite passer, NCAA or NFL? I'm not going to go through and compare all the stats above for Tebow against all 110 of those other guys, but just for you, I compared him against the top 10 all time on the list. About 4 out of the top 10 had a little better completion % than him, but he beat every single one of them in all of the other categories I listed in my previous post except for Yards/Attempt, where he only beat 9 of them instead of all 10.

While I'm sure he appreciates the influence he gains by being a QB, because of his desire to share his Christian faith, maybe you should consider that the simplest explanation for why he wants to be a QB is one he's given us himself. He's dreamt about it since he was a little boy and he believes he's got the skill to be a QB in the NFL. I don't think we really have to get complicated here and try to "assign" certain reasons to Tebow's decision to play QB other than the ones he's given us himself.

17. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Those stats aren't up to date. Tebow threw 88 touchdowns in college, I believe. Three years as a starter.

In more starts, Peyton threw one more.

Peyton is a better passer. But it illustrates how much Tebow threw the ball in college. He's a playmaker with good ability to make first down throws and touchdown throws.

18. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Fair enough. I'm sure you're making very intelligent points, it's just terrible to look at and read.

I'm fine with calling Tebow one of the elite college players of all time, after all, he won a Heisman. He's absolutely not an elite passer and can't be if he can't be found amongst the top 100 leading passers of all time.

He was a good runner when playing against overmatched opponents in college. In the NFL, he is the overmatched player.

19. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Which ones? The college football schedule wasn't as long in the mid 90's as it was in the time Tebow was playing, so even though Peyton started 4 full years, he only actually started 2 more games than Tebow. He threw 5 more TD's in 4 years as a starter than Tebow did in his 3 years as a starter (1 more than Tebow's entire NCAA career), but he needed 419 more passing attempts to do it. I certainly won't argue that Peyton is a better passer at this time than Tebow is (he's had slightly more time to work on it), but the fact remains that Tebow pretty much kicked his butt as an efficient QB, statistically, with both of them playing their careers in the SEC. Same thing for their first 16 games as starters in the NFL. Peyton had better completion % and more passing yards, but Tebow beat him in pretty much every statistical measure of efficient QB play.

20. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Are we still talking about just college here, or not, because you seem to be going back and forth?

So, you're hanging your entire opinion on Passing Yards....?

Okay. Stupid, but Okey Dokey, if that's the way you want to roll. But please don't act like that is an intelligent conclusion, because it's absurd.

Oh by the way, Andrew Luck was 97th on the list and John Elway was 106th, just 5 spots before Tebow. So, just so we're clear, they weren't elite passers in college, either, right? Right?

Just to refresh your memory, Elway was considered to be one of the best NFL QB prospects to enter the draft in a loonnnggg time. And Andrew Luck was considered to be the best NFL QB prospect since....John Elway. But you have declared them not to be elite because they weren't very high on the college career Passing Yards list.

I think this discussion is over, you're just trolling.

Have fun.

#20 JFjets, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013