Jets to try to trade Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Dennis, Feb 6, 2013.

1. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

If Tebow didn't get to choose, why did the Broncos take less for him than the Jaguars offered?

2. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

This isn't sidestepping the question:

“I didn’t really have any [input],” Tebow said in response to the first question on the call. “The Broncos had all that power. I was just waiting like everyone else.”

This is flat out saying he had no input, despite the Broncos taking less from the Jets. This is Tebow saying he had to wait like everyone else, despite Elway saying they were communicating all day.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

I love how you put "[input]" in there, seeing as how that's not what was being talked about nor did Tebow say it.

So, I'm supposed to try and defend something that Tebow didn't say to begin with ??

4. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I didn't put anything there. I copied and pasted from an article. I'm sure you think he was saying he didn't have any ice cream for dessert or didn't have any plans to visit Delaware, but I'm fairly certain the reporter wasn't making up the context.

Seriously, you really embarrass yourself when you deny the most obvious thing. Tebow lied. It honestly wouldn't be a big deal if people just said he was concerned about offending his hometown fans, but thought he had a better opportunity in New York and had a lapse of judgment when he said he had no say in it. Instead, you people, the people that are making it so teams don't want to give him a chance at all, refuse to acknowledge any character flaws and excuse anything he does. You couldn't find a single person on earth who would agree that Tebow wasn't claiming he had no choice outside of Tebow fans. He was clearly saying he had no choice when he did, in fact, have a choice.

5. Demosthenes9

My apologies, I stand corrected. Doing a quick google search, I see that exact quote in a number of places.

That said, I also see a similar quote without the [input] but the context of it is a bit different:

From ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...-broncos-complete-tim-tebow-trade-second-time

Based on this quote, his reply is to being asked if he had final say where he was going. Wouldn't you agree that its not the same as "input".

Actually, what I think is that answering the question directly and honestly would have been extremely difficult in a "sound bite" world, so, as I said, he sidestepped it.

6. Demosthenes9

As for why the Broncos took less, perhaps it's because Elway was trying to be nice or look out for him.

You might find this hard to believe, but while I disagree with what Elway did, and think he sucks for having done it, I can completely understand the move and I don't hate him for it.

Straight forward calculation, keep a young, promising QB who could develop into something special, or bring in Peyton Freaking Manning ?

I genuinely believe that Elway liked Tebow personally, just didn't see him as the future of the franchise. (Again, I think he was wrong about this, and that's ok). So, I don't think Elway was trying to personally stick it to Tebow.

7. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I'll respond about the "input" thing and move on because I think it's pretty clear you'll never change your mind about anything.

“I didn’t really have any [input],” Tebow said in response to the first question on the call. “The Broncos had all that power. I was just waiting like everyone else.”

I think it's pretty clear that "...in response to the first question on the call" indicates that the question was regarding having input.

Regardless, whether you think he was "sidestepping" or not, he was trying to portray it that he had no say in it when he did. He was trying to make it seem like he was at the complete mercy of the Broncos and had to wait and see where he ended up, when in reality he was given the choice of where he wanted to go and was kept in the loop during the process.

8. Demosthenes9

Wrt to the "[input]" thing, just in case I wasn't clear in the other post, I was wrong about you putting that there.

As for the quote itself, given that other sources have phrased things differently, I'm not sure that he was asked about "input" or if he was replying about "input". Rather, I think he answered the question of whether he had any say in where he was going.

9. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

Did they have some other QB on their roster? Because tebow was neither promising or worth developing.

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

His 10th Grade coach told him he wasn't going to be playing quarterback. Not that he wasn't going to be starting. He wasn't going to let him play the position. So he transferred to Nease.

11. LostInMA

LostInMA Active Member

I don't understand why we don't just keep him, as a back up qb...

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Because he sucks and he brings a circus act and tebots wherever he goes. Rather have Sanchez as the back-up or Matt Moore

13. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Honestly, even if he wasn't completely terrible, he's not worth having around. He's a distraction far bigger than his talent dictates. His fans are the laughing-stock of the NFL, outside of Denver and here where they're an unending nightmare. He was supposed to be this positive presence in the locker room but ended up making things worse.

I wonder if we can trade him to Buffalo?

14. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Speaking of distractions...

Well well well, looks like Tebow opted out of the speech at the controversial church.

Looks like protecting his image won out after all.

15. JFjets

JFjets New Member

So I guess you're going to praise him for this decision. Right?

16. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Of course!! It is the second smartest thing he could have done to salvage his career and not hurt his image.

The first would be a position change.

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I don't know that the WCO fits Tebow's skill set well. While the people who are fanatical about hating Tebow will say no offense fits his skill set, Tebow does the following well:

1. Run the ball.
    2. Throw the ball deep, stretching the defense vertically when they over commit to the run.
    3. Make simple reads, he is much better when he reads only half the field.
    4. Play out of the shotgun, in a read option offense.
    5. Throwing the ball, rolling out to his left.

He doesn't do the following well:

1. Throw outside the hashmarks, to the sidelines.
    2. Throw to his right.
    3. Read the whole field.
    4. Play under center.

If you look at Tebow's stats from when he started with the Broncos, he was actually more accurate than Sanchez over the middle (62%), and to his left side (63%), but worse to the right and to both sidelines. I don't know that he can be a WCO QB, he doesn't have the touch/accuracy on his short throws (except to the left inside and middle) to pull it off. Then again, neither does Sanchez so who knows.

Lots of people don't like the idea of trading for a QB, but the Jets should consider getting a stopgap or something at the QB spot that will fit the WCO. I'd like Flynn, even though he's unproven. I wouldn't mind Palmer at the right price.

I wouldn't mind the team keeping Tebow and developing him. He will be great if they can "fix" him, but the situation is pretty toxic, and Tebow thinks he should be starting now. I thought he should have started last season (in the preseason!) too, but I can't see starting him in the WCO since it doesn't fit his strengths.

18. sunbeam

sunbeam Banned

About Flynn:

I wrote in another thread on this particular board, that anyone who plays qb for certain teams looks like a worldbeater. Brady goes down, Cassell has a really good year. Rogers misses a few games and Flynn looks great in relief.

I think you are right to say he is unproven. Obviously he got beat out by Russell Wilson, but I dunno what that says about him. Wilson might be an uncommon talent, or Flynn just might not be what people think he might be.

About Palmer:

If you had some team like the Ravens, he could probably do an ok Flacco type job. If you don't have that team, you have a guy that can't carry a team and has no upside, and a whole lot of downside at this point in his career.

Plus he has an ungodly contract.

Better off with McCarron or whoever you roll the dice on in the draft. The Jets are years away, and a new coaching staff/front office from contending. There really isn't a point in recycling Palmer at this point.

Flynn might be a player, but my take is I'd just as soon take a chance on Geno (if available) or the guy from Syracuse.

If the Jets would take a chance on the spread, I would also consider Colin Klein.

But honestly, if they were going to do that, they have the perfect qb for it on the team now.

19. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

:breakdance:

20. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Kyle Orton had a winning record each and every season he was a starter on both the Bears and the Broncos.

Until Tebow became his backup.

Mark Sanchez had never posted a losing record for any season he started for the Jets.

Until Tebow became his backup.

Tebow is a destructive force on a team. His fans care nothing about the team, only that their hero starts.

Why keep a distraction like that when there are more serviceable conventional QBs available?

#160 Dennis, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013