How Tim Tebow Became the Least-Wanted Man in the Entire NFL

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Footballgod214, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Let's say for a moment that I buy this bulloney. That you are smarter than 18 GMS and coaching staffs and you KNOW how to win while they don't.

What makes you think handing the dirt missile machine the starting job for any of those teams is automatically going to make them winers if they simply play spread, or use him correctly, or however you define using tebow?

You guys seem to be so damn certain he's going to make any roster he touches into an instant contender if only they get out of his way, and let him improvise/run his way to the Super Bowl.

Those teams that are finishing at .500 or less have a LOT more going on than simply not having Tebow running their offense. Many of those GMs took over a bad situation to begin with.

2. Concerned_Citizen

I see... we should give Tebow the keys to a franchise and totally commit to a guy who won on a fluke...

...but totally trash a QB and a coach who have gotten to the AFC Championship game twice in the last 4 years.

Granted, they aren't the greatest in the world, but I just can't see why people think Tebow is some sort of football god.

3. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

I'm worried about you Concerned Citizen...your obsession with Tebow goes way beyond healthy levels. You make even his biggest fanbois look like casual admirers. Try going outside...get a job...maybe a girlfriend. Life moves on without Tebow.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing about Tim Tebow right now is that as soon as he realizes the CFL is a viable option the better his chances of some day actually playing QB in the NFL again. He desperately needs a platform from which to play as a QB and succeed, leading his team to victories. He needs those victories to be because of the offense he leads not in spite of it and driven by last second heroics.

The CFL is a wide-open game. There's a lot of room for Tebow to operate in and it will be harder for defenses to contain his particular brand of offense. He might actually look like a dynamic game-breaking player in that environment.

The man should be in Montreal next year. It's his best chance to get where he wants to be.

5. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

JFJets pretty much nailed it. Rex is good on the defensive side of the ball but he's severely lacking in many aspects of being a good Head Coach.

He's basically a walking example of the Peter Principle. To me, he's a defensive minded version of Norv Turner.

6. Demosthenes9

Ummm, I believe he did just that in 2011 with 6 game winning drives/come from behind victories ??????

About 6 minutes left in the game. Denver was 95 yards away from the end zone. All the Jet's had to do was run their vaunted defense onto the field and stop and offense led by the "terrible", "lousy", "not an NFL QB" Tim Tebow. They couldn't do it.

WHen push came to shove, the Bears couldn't stop him. Nor could the Vikings, the Chargers, the Raiders, or the Dolphins.

Go back and check the game tapes. Notice how Denver's offense and play calling changed in those 4th quarters.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm sorry but if you're pointing to 2011 as the reason Tim Tebow is qualified to play QB in the NFL then you're exactly where he is - with no team in the NFL willing to give him a shot at QBing for them.

It was a great run but he got lucky as hell doing it and his defense was excellent when it counted.

Nobody is going to give Tim "The Miracle Man" Tebow a shot as a starting QB in the NFL. He needs to show that he can play well and then maybe provide some miracles on top of that.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam Banned

The thing is maybe he should be playing qb.

I'm one of the Tebow defenders, but to me he is part of a larger change from "classical" offenses to ones where the qb is a designed part of the running game.

Currently the spread is the formation most designed to use that, and pass more effectively than the triple option.

Some people say it is a gimmick. I don't think it is. I don't think there is some magic adjustment or a change in the kind of athletes you put on defense (like more speed after Miami stuffed Oklahoma in the NC game).

Basically you take away for the most part the ability of the defense to double cover, and the throws you have to make are much easier.

The qb still has to make decisions about where and when to throw and where and when to run, but the college game has shown there are a lot more guys who can do this, than be Andrew Luck.

That said maybe Smith should have been a qb. He does compare favorably to Russell Wilson. Smith is bigger, but Wilson has better accuracy and Fran Tarkenton's eyes in the back of his head knack.

Just saying if you put Smith at qb, and the right coaching staff handles him, you might see similar things to what SF, Seattle, and the Redskins did.

9. Demosthenes9

Br4dw4y5ux,

Again, in the 4th Q, he did. And again, it's no coincidence that that the style of offense that Denver used changed in the 4th Q.

Hell, look at Marty Mornhinweg's hiring. The question that came immediately to mind would be the impact of his system on Sanchez. You know, how would Sanchez do in a WCO versus the E/P type system that he was in this year.

For QBs, style of offense is often VERY important. You put Joe Montana in the E/P and he just wouldn't have been the same.

It's very similar to defensive players and whether they are a good fit for a 4/3 or a 3/4. Put a great 4/3 DE into the 3/4 and he might be terrible. Put him back in a 4/3 and he might be dominant.

Or look at Chip Kelly in Philly. People question whether Foles will be a good fit for the offense that Kelly will run.

Why is it that this notion doesn't seem to apply to Tebow ?

10. coltsfan_nyc

coltsfan_nyc Banned

I'm not a Tebow fan, but would love to see him get one more shot before this whole thing is put to bed.

11. Concerned_Citizen

Tebow might actually succeed in the right situation, that is true. But then we have to convince a team to build that right situation. That is a big risk to ask a team to make when most have already seen him throw too many dirt missiles to their liking.

Some teams are looking in the direction of option quarterbacking, but the league as a whole hasn't fully embraced it yet. Most of them are waiting to see how it works out with the teams that have Griffin, Newton, and others on it.

The difference between them and Tebow though, is they have demonstrated they can complete passes in the 60% range. I know that doesn't mean anything to you, but that is still good enough for those other teams with those guys to see how the option works to go with it. Tebow at the moment doesn't look like he can do that part, because he has about a seasons worth of starts and only beat the 50% mark once. It matters when teams are looking at who can give them the best chance to win. That is part of why the notion of putting him in the "spread option" might seem like it is different for Tebow than it is the others. Still comes down to passing.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So it's your belief that Rex does not know how to win as a head coach?

13. Demosthenes9

By and large, no, I don't think Rex is a good head coach who knows how to win at this point. He took over a 9-7 team and led them to 9-7 while improving the defense dramatically. I'll give him that. He's great with the D.

With the O ? Different question and the last 2 years prove it.

Is he learning ? Yeah, I think so. But as of right now, I'd say that he's a great DC who is still in over his head.

14. Demosthenes9

Just a quick FYI, you keep harping on the "dirt missiles" as your latest meme. Small problem for you is that he didn't throw a single one of those as a Jet. :)

15. Concerned_Citizen

If he doesn't know how to win, then how did he get the the conference championships in 50% of the seasons he's coached?

i mean, you can't give Tebow enough credit for being on the winning team for a playoff game, but Rex doesn't know how to win? Why, because he wasn't a tebow believer?

16. Concerned_Citizen

Bet he did in practice. Bet he threw a bunch of them.

17. Demosthenes9

He got to the conference championships on the back of a very strong defense, which I did give him credit for.

I base my opinion on Rex off of what I have seen. Want to discuss him naming team captains in 2011 ? That was brilliant. Want to talk about his ability to assess talent on the offensive side of the ball ?

Look, Rex isnt the first good Coordinator to move up to the head coach's seat and have difficulties. I'm certainly not the only one that has this opinion. You can go look at any of the "Rex MUST GO" threads and find a bunch of people who agree. It has nothing to do with Tebow.

18. Demosthenes9

And that's all you can do is "bet" because, as is often the case, you DON'T KNOW, but it doesn't stop you from making claims anyways.

How pathetic.

Run along now little guy, you're in over your head.

19. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I can honestly say, and I don't mean this in a mean way, you're the most delusional sports fan I've ever seen. I admire it in a way because I'm pretty sure you genuinely believe a lot of the stuff you're saying despite all evidence to the contrary.

No one had to be at practice to know Tebow was practicing poorly. All the evidence supports the hypothesis, be it his teammates criticizing him or his coaches not playing him. Believe it or not, teams aren't in the habit of refusing to play players they think can help them.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

But Tebow, who has been traded for pennies on the dollar for a plug power like loss, was demoted to 3rd string QB/personal punt protector and is likely about to be relocated to the CFL is a winner? Got it, thanks.

I have a feeling Rex is going to be a head coach a lot longer than Tebow is going to last in the NFL. I'm sure that won't stop the tebots from telling everyone Tebow is an NFL caliber QB and they just need to look at the stats stats stats.