Super Bowl in NY could be moved to another day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

What a mess this could be. Please mother Nature, give us the worst 7 days of weather ever for NY from Sat-Fri.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8940414/nfl-mulling-super-bowl-xlviii-backup-plans-report

The NFL, preparing for the possibility of bad weather hitting the New York/New Jersey region on Super Bowl XLVIII game day, is exploring playing the game on a Saturday or delaying it for several days, according to a published report.

"We have to look at all the angles: storm arriving day-of-game, storm arriving prior to game, storm arriving after game," a source told the Sports Business Journal.

Super Bowl XLVIII is slated to be played on Feb. 2, 2014, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. It will be the first Super Bowl ever held in an open-air stadium in a cold-weather region.

As the report points out, rescheduling the game, however, could create myriad problems for fans, who might be forced to reschedule flights and extend/cancel hotel stays.

"As we do for every Super Bowl, we have been planning for all possibilities and are creating various contingency plans to deal with each potential situation," an NFL spokesperson wrote in an email to ESPNNewYork.com, adding that the league would not comment on specifics so far in advance of the game.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

They should have built a retractable roof on MetLife stadium in the first place.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

As Golic said today and I fully agree, the Super Bowl should always be played in a warm weather city. It's an event and the week leading up to it has become as much a part of the event as the game itself. Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, Pasadena and Houston. It should revolve between those 5 cities.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

LOL, who would have ever thought we may get a winter storm in New York, and then awarded an open stadium for the Super Bowl in New York?

How fucking stupid. I was looking forward to another ice bowl.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

theres no gurantee there is gonna be a blizzard or a storm, this was the worst snowfall in 10 years in this area, there wasnt much snow the past 2 years in the lower NY/NJ area. So next year should be fine... You cant change the weather so, there isnt much that can be done but wait n see. in 2010 the metro area got a record low 1 inch of snow for the entire year

#5 LongIslandBlitz, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That wouldn't matter for an event like the Super Bowl where a major storm would disrupt transportation to and from the event and make things like power a real concern.

I think they should have built the retractable roof just to give the two teams options during the regular season. I think it would have made it easier to sell out consistently during November and December, particularly in seasons where the teams were not in contention during those months.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree with you generally, but I am surprised you left Phoenix off that list. Perhaps Tampa Bay should be included as well, although there is far less to do there than the other cities mentioned. And I would probably take Pasadena out until the LA area has an NFL team. And for the record, Houston? Meh.

Now that I think about it, if the list were Miami, NO, Phoenix and San Diego, that would be fine.

I wouldn't want to live in Arizona these days, but for an SB visit, Phoenix is top shelf.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It does not even have to snow,,,,frigid temps would be horrible ! How about a stretch of cold weather as we had 4 weeks ago ? To have this game here is a great story but it could have a very bad ending

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It would be dumb to reschedule the game. You granted an outdoor North East stadium a Superbowl, so you had to assume there is a chance of terrible weather. That comes with the territory. Whether it be snow, hail, freezing rain or freezing temps. Under no circumstances should the game be re-scheduled IMO.

If they weren't prepared for that possibility or didn't like that possibility they never should have said yes in the first place. It would be incredibly inconvenient to those making the trip and they would likely lose tons of revenue.

#9 TurkJetFan, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree, the retractable roof is not anywhere near the whole issue. Transportation is a bigger one. And then there's the general mood. Let's face it, if you are in Manhattan and having your limo take you from your hotel to the restaurant to the music/dance club, you can sort of ignore the dreary midwinter weather. But imo that's not what the SB is and should be all about.

I am and have been a resident of NY for a long time now, but if someone gave me tickets to the SB, I would want to go to a warm climate in the middle of the winter. This was just a bad decision on the NFL's part even if the weather holds up.

11. NFL

NFL Active Member

How much do ya think the Super Bowl for Metlife would cost? From least to better? I might go just for the experience.

As for the Super Bowl here, I wouldn't want to play in the cold weather, especially if I'm on a team that doesn't play regularly in the cold. How about the Super Bowl in the Hawaii stadium? You can go spend a couple days in the island and go to the game.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bring it!!! All of it, and LOTS of it!!! I'd LOVE to watch 100,000 movie stars and bloated billionaires crashing their limos and wade through slush puddles while sipping Dom Parion with their pinkies raised. Fuck 'em. :beer:

Only 1% of the ppl who attend the game are average Joes, and for them it would suck but they're the type of fans who have tailgated through much worse over the years.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I should have clarified. I was more making a point about warm weather cities. I agree that a final 4 rotation of Miami, NO, Phoenix and San Diego would be ideal. I've never been to Phoenix but have been to the other 3 many times and they are perfectly suited for hosting Super Bowls.

14. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I would hope if they had bad weather, they would just cancel it like the Marathon with no regard to anyone or the hell they went through to prepare for it.

And no refund either; just a guaranteed ticket to the following years game provided you are willing to pay full price again.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They should always play it on a Saturday anyway IMO. They have two weeks to prepare anyway.

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

each team spent $750,000,000 for a total of $1.5 Billion, and yet , there is no roof! incredibly stupid mistake.

wonder how cold it will be for wrestlemania, even though it will be at night in april?

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I would gladly go and watch the Super Bowl in below-freezing weather in a heartbeat. I don't care who's playing. Anyone who is complaining about weather or it being cold is a baby and needs to grow a pair.

The ONLY way I could see changing the date of the Super Bowl would be if there was a Nor'easter preventing the teams from getting there.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Snow Bowl !!!! Yeahhh !!!!! You know whoever loses is gonna bitch like no other. Suck it wussies !!!!!! I went to a big college football school that was in a valley in between mountains you know what you do to deal with freezing cold conditions??? Strap a bullet belt of airplane liquor bottles to your thighs and shove as many as you can down your girls bra.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Ditto! :beer:

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

No they shouldn't have. What a horrible idea. there is no need for a roof. You play football in the weather, that is part of the game and teams in colder climates are successful w/o domes. the northern teams w/domes usually suck - e.g. the vikings who used to be dominant w/home field advantage at the Met. Then they went to play in that hideous dome and have never been back to the SB in 35 yrs since they went to the dome.