Jets to try to trade Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Dennis, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Elway and the Broncos have previously demonstrated a degree of compassion with players on their way out.

When Tebow took over and it was clear that Orton no longer had a useful role on the team, KO asked to be released on waivers rather than waiting for after the season to become a UFA. Even though Orton was undoubtedly a better option than Brady Quinn as the backup QB, Elway was a nice guy about it and gave Orton what he wanted.

Why assume they wouldn't be as compassionate with Tebow and give what he wanted on his way out?

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Broncos also saved money by cutting Orton iirc.

Tebow side stepped a question and gave an honest answer in the process. HE didnt have the power to decide where to go.

I gave an example just a few posts ago that demonstrates this. Let's presume that Elway did ask Tebow where he preferred to go. Let's also presume that Elway said "Ok, we'll settle for less and send Tebow to whatever team he prefers.

Again, who is the one making the decision? John Elway.

3. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

I'd be a bit careful with that argument. Before Orton was waived, he wasn't even the backup. One report had him on the practice squad a week or two before the request... or at least the request being made public.

But I have ZERO reason to believe Tim Tebow wasn't given a choice by Bronco top brass. Tebow saying he really didn't have any power in the trade when it was obvious he got to choose just smacks of damage control for PR.

I REALLY don't get why Tebowners won't even admit THAT much.

4. Concerned_Citizen

Well, there's progress... you did sort of admit it by saying Tebow "sidestepped the question" and gave an honest answer. So what Tebow said was true from a certain point of view. however, the way he used it was a lie by omission. Ultimately, he wanted New York and got New York. It wasn't because Elway had the last word. He us ultimately there because Tebow ultimately told Elway that he ultimately wanted to go to the Jets over Jacksonville. unfortunately, that answer wasn't an answer to the actual question. It would have been suitable had he been asked who had the final say. But not when being asked if he was the one that chose New York, or why he chose New York.

So I'm not buying your spin that an honest answer was given when that wasn't the question he was being asked. A lie by omission is still a lie.

Which team offered the best pick? Jacksonville.

Which Team did Tebow want to go to? New York.

Which team did he end up goign to? New York.

Why? Because Elway traded him there?

Why? Because that is where Tebow said he wanted to go between the two teams.

Are you following where we are going with this right now?

Tebow chose New York. He tried to downplay the decision and put it off as something he had little control over, seemingly to avoid any bad PR that might have come out of Jacksonville. Elway got pissed and set the record straight. Tebow looks like a liar.

He was involved, was given the choice, he got his choice, and Tebow tried to tell us basically that the decision was Elways... as if he had little or nothing to do with it.

....and as usual, you guys swallowed it hook, line, and sinker trying to spin out of the fact that Tebow tried to deflect his choice of team on to Elway.

#104 Concerned_Citizen, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. Demosthenes9

If you have watched Tebow give interviews, you'll have seen that he almost always sidesteps questions and doesn't answer them directly. Seriously, the kid has the interview process down to a science and rarely, if ever, says the wrong thing. That said, he doesn't go out and lie, rather, he just chooses which questions to answer directly, and which questions to sidestep.

It's like if Mark had a really bad game and they asked Tebow "what did you think of Mark's performance"? He's not going to candidly answer that question. He'd say that Mark gave 100% and tried to win. That things were tough out there and didnt necessarily go the way the team had planned.

It's one of the things that I really like about Tebow and that is his penchant for always being positive, upbeat and optimistic. Take the Bears game. NFLN has an FX piece from it. Tebow threw a beautiful pass that should have been a TD, but it went through DT's hands. When he talked to DT on the side lines, he laughed it off, said "don't worry about it, you're about to catch the game winner".

That's just his outlook on things, he always looks for the positive.

6. Concerned_Citizen

...and I have noticed that about him. But honestly, just about every player is trained to take that approach. don't say negative things about other players (though some do) and just give the typical canned answers. you almost can't take anything one says at face value anymore.

But that one about who had the final say in his trade didn't work out that way. Elway had been around long enough, and he certainly didn't take it as one of those sidestep questions where he answered a question that wasn't asked.

for Tim Tebow, is image is EVERYTHING. He was protecting his image with the Jacksonville fans that he preferred the exposure he'd get in New York over what he'd get in that podunk town in Florida.

The answer you gave in your scenario is still relevant to the question. The way Tebow answered the Elway questions was to put the blame on him for the trade when it was really his call. There's a difference there. Sorry, Jacksonville fans deserved to know that Tebow chose New York and he indeed had a choice. Tebow made it sound as if there wasn't.

7. Demosthenes9

Every player might be "trained", but few do it very well. :)

There you go presuming again. Tebow might have preferred New York because the coaching staff appeared to actually want him, as opposed to Jax, where it would have been a moved forced by ownership. I'd wager that Tebow had already had his fill of playing for a coach and FO that didn't really want him.

8. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Tebow didn't lie by omission, he lied by lying. Tebow was given the choice between two locations and picked.

Elway confirmed that Tebow was given a choice between New York and Jacksonville after [Peyton] Manning was brought in.

"You know, we laid it out to Tim. We said ‘It's up to you,'" Elway said. "I'm not going to tell you which deal I liked better. But I will tell you that we did give him the option."

9. TTTTebowAndTheJets

His cup runith over at this point...

I agree... I think Tebow gave his opinion and that he leaned towards the Jets, I'm not gonna argue those points. I just disagree that it was about the platform. Team A has an owner that wants you and is trying force you down the throat of a GM and coach who publicly stated they want nothing to do with you.... And you have team B, who says they want you from the coach to the owner, telling you you'd be a backup with a roll that can have an affect on game day.... Obviously you choose Team B

Even if they were living their faces off.

#109 TTTTebowAndTheJets, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Why is he still a Jet? Why? Get him out of here asap, please. No team in the NFL will trade a draft pick for him. I don't think the Jets could get a case of gatorade for him at this point. Just cut him already and let's end this era (error!).

11. Concerned_Citizen

No assumption there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ow-likes-platform-of-playing-in-the-big-apple

When I became a Jet," Tebow said, "I looked at it like, besides the fact I'm going to a great team with coaches that I like and players that I respect, I'm going to a city where I'm going to have a platform to hopefully do a lot of great things and maybe change a lot of people's lives and put smiles on kids' faces and brighten some days. ---

He loves the cameras. Riddle me this: Which city would have more surrounding him? New York, or Jacksonville? Rhetorical question.

He admitted he uses the NFL for a platform for spreading the word. He believes he's serving a higher power. Keeping the religious opinion to myself and remaining neutral about it... I can't disagree that it isn't working. It IS actually working. In large part, he sparked a huge increase in google searches for the John 3:16 scripture. There was even a commercial put out there talking about it with people reading what the scripture was. I believe that is one of his goals, and it appears he's had some success with it.

He probably thought he could do more of it in New York.

#111 Concerned_Citizen, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  12. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I'm excited to see the excuse as to how, "I'm going to a city where I'm going to have a platform..." doesn't mean that he preferred the extra media attention of New York City.

13. SF MoneyBags

SF MoneyBags Member

It's obvious that "I'm going to a city where I'm going to have a platform.." means "My Jockey billboards will be bigger in New York than in Jacksonville." That is the ONLY possible meaning, right?....

14. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

New York was a more natural fit. A coach that loves to yell "Ground and Pound" and a weak starter. Gabbert is weak was well, but wasn't in the league as long. Tebow probably thought he could win the job in NY, as well as the other stuff.

15. Demosthenes9

Highlighted part speaks for itself.

16. Concerned_Citizen

Nice sidstep move of his admission that he chose New York for the platform.

Saying he's going to a great team with great coaches and players is just the typical plattitude you hear from countless athletes when going to a new team.

17. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Major letdown.

18. Demosthenes9

God, you are obtuse. Answer this. IF Tebow had a crystal ball and had known that the season would go the way that it did, would he have still chosen the Jets?

19. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Probably.

Because for Tebow, football isn't his sole focus. Probably not even his main focus. It's more of a means to an end now.

Tebow is a Christian who takes the Great Commission seriously. New York gave him a manifestly larger platform to evangelize from.

There is also the greater fund-raising ability for his charities in New York than in a podunk town like Jacksonville.

Timmy is tucked away in Arizona now working hard on his quarterbacking skills because he knows his time in New York is over. So he probably wants to be traded to (or picked up as a UFA) by the largest market team he can manage. So that he can reach the most people possible with the Christian message as well as extending his NFL career to maintain the notoriety that give him his platform for as long as possible.

20. Concerned_Citizen

Of course not. How many things about your life would you change if you could go back.

But what does that have to do with his reason he chose New York. What, you think he had his doubts that he'd beat out Blain Gabbbert? At the time of the trade, Sanchez just got a HUGE raise, and was coming off a season with the same record the Broncos had, which followed 2 season of AFC Championship games... and you wanna tell me Tebow felt better about beating him out than Blaine Gabbert, a guy finishing just a few slots ahead of him in the passing department.

Get real. He went for the media exposure and it blew up in his, and the Jets' faces. But many of those critical of Tebow's choice knew the New York media would eat him alive.

That whole media persona is just as much about who Tebow is as his desire to be a QB. New York gave him a better stage, a bigger microphone, and lots more media.

#120 Concerned_Citizen, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013