QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

SI's Peter King isn't "so sure" the Ravens will use the exclusive-rights franchise tag on free agent Joe Flacco.

King believes it's "actually possible" the Ravens use the non-exclusive tag, and that Flacco could be "stolen by a quarterback-needy and starved-for-relevance team." King concedes it's not "probable," but floats the Browns, Cardinals and Bills as possible pursuers should Flacco receive the non-exclusive tag. King seems particularly keen on the idea of Cleveland making a run. Per King, the Ravens and Flacco will begin negotiating a long-term deal this week. The deadline to apply the franchise tag is March 4.

-------
    Profootballtalk.com reports that teams around the league were already eyeing a potential run at free agent Joe Flacco before the NFL playoffs began.

Per PFT, there are teams willing to pay the franchise tag price -- two first-round picks and a monster contract -- in order to acquire the 28-year-old franchise quarterback. It's further confirmation that the Ravens ought to be kicking themselves for letting Flacco play out his entire contract year. To retain Flacco comfortably, they'll have to affix him with the $20-plus million "exclusive rights" tag, which will cost them both other players and negotiating leverage with Flacco. If the Ravens only assign Flacco the regular franchise tag -- worth under $15 million -- teams like Arizona and Cleveland will surely try to sign him away.

2. Organized Chaos

You're really calling people dumb with this type of reasoning? Look, it's not an personality problem that is causing him to hold out. He's a good teammate, he doesn't get in trouble, he doesn't have personality issues. He is one of the best players in the league and he wants to be paid like he is. That isn't a personality issue, it's smart on his end.

#402 Organized Chaos, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. 94niners

94niners New Member

Smith's stats about half a season before Harbaugh became the 49ers coach, starting with the Eagles game in 2010:

11 TDs, 3 INTs, 1450 yards, 94.8 passer rating.

His numbers his first year under Harbaugh: 17 TDs, 5 INTs, 3144 yards, 90.7 passer rating.

So basically, the half season before Harbaugh arrived Smith played better than he did in his first year with Harbaugh. Harbaugh isn't the reason Smith stopped being below average. He helped him achieve his potential, sure, but Smith was on his way up before Harbaugh got there. I would very comfortably say that Alex Smith is a significant upgrade over Sanchise. He's twice the quarterback Sanchez ever was. Elite? No, but good enough to win, definitely.

Coming from a 49er fan, if Kaepernick didn't look like he was going to be challenging for an MVP award next season (and no, he isn't a gimmick; those of us who watched more than one or two games know that, like Phil Simms said, he would be a Franchise Quarterback for his arm alone, without appealing to his legs "That arm alone is enough to make you a franchise QB."), I'd be very, VERY upset that the team was getting rid of a proven winner like Alex Smith. I've seen every single snap of Smith's career, and no one on that list would interest me as much as Smith, and it isn't close.

#403 94niners, Feb 11, 2013
  4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Why not just stick with McElroy?

7. 101GangGreen101

He's a career back-up. Foles has a stronger arm, and he can take hits. he's 6'5 so he's got great height. McElroy almost got destroyed against the Chargers.

8. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

Foles would definitely be a interesting prospect. Wonder if he could be had for a 4th

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Foles is worth a 3rd or 4th round pick but I don't think the Eagles are going to let go of him at this point. They spent a 3rd on him last year and he didn't disappoint them when he got the chance to play. I'm guessing they see him as a real asset although Chip Kelly may not want a non-mobile QB in the long-term.

Foles is the cautionary note for the Jets on taking a QB this season. Andy Reid took him last year and now Reid is gone so it's not clear the Eagles will get full value from the pick.

10. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

If we get Foles or Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib, I would still like a vet QB. Mark Sanchez doesn't count.

11. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

I don't really see Foles fitting in Chip Kelly's system. Plus the eagles are gonna go after Dennis Dixon, so maybe the eagles will put Foles on the block. I would rather trade for Foles than Smith or Flynn.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think it's going to be an either/or situation.

13. 101GangGreen101

Foles vs Sanchez for the starting gig.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

#414 74, Feb 11, 2013
  15. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, Foles didn't look that bad in those 7 games except for one really. I would love to get him and Bryce Brown from the Eagles. At first, I thought we needed to do a Revis trade, but now that Foles is out of the picture, we should look to acquire him. It shouldn't be for much. 4th rounder or 3rd.

ALL ABOARD! Besides, I like what Chip Kelly said about him. It will take some convincing... I think they want Vick vs Foles in TC

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Kelly likes Foles a lot, he respects him as a qb, you can find some endearing comments he made about him back when Foles was in college.

That said....

No way in hell is Foles going to be playing for Chip Kelly!

Foles is a traditional pocket passing qb. The eagles hired Kelly to bring his high tempo read option system. It would make absolutely no sense for him to change his whole game to accommodate Foles and the eagles organization would flip a shit if he did.

17. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I'm on the Foles bandwagon. We know what Alex Smith is: decent QB, accurate, good game manager but he won't solve our QB problem. Foles has potential to be more than a stopgap.

And Flynn scares me. I know turned Russell Wilson turned out to be electric last year but it's a little unnerving to know the Seahawks traded for the guy and never gave him a chance to really play.

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

With Vick's injury history, do you honestly think they're going to trade Foles?

19. Organized Chaos

Too bad Chip Kelly doesnt like Tebow's game.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

yuck,Mclroy looks gross out there at times,His mechanics look flawed to